16th century irish headwear

  • Deann Solomon
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 22, 2008
      Hello All! I need some help. My Neighbor (only 3 months as a
      scadian), talked me into making her an irish Over dress and liene. My
      problem is that we are going to crown (EK - this weekend), and we will
      be outside. She wanted to make something to wear over her head to
      keep her warm, and I really can't find anything. I was looking for
      something similar to a modern shawl that she could put around her
      shoulders and then drape over her head - can anyone help? What is
      traditional headwear? I could only find documentation on something
      that looks like a rolled hat. Any suggestions?
      Thanks
      Katrina
    • deblouma
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 22, 2008
        what looks like a rolled hat might be a coif - as a quick option she
        could tie a large triangle of linen round her head.
        You put the long striaght side of the trianlge over the forehaed, take
        the end and cross them at the back, twist them and tie them round the
        head and then tuck the bits that are hanging down into the 'halo' you
        have tied with the ends - hope taht makes please excuse terrible spelling!

        -- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Deann Solomon" <stacia2@...> wrote:

        > Hello All! I need some help. My Neighbor (only 3 months as a
        > scadian), talked me into making her an irish Over dress and liene. My
        > problem is that we are going to crown (EK - this weekend), and we will
        > be outside. She wanted to make something to wear over her head to
        > keep her warm, and I really can't find anything. I was looking for
        > something similar to a modern shawl that she could put around her
        > shoulders and then drape over her head - can anyone help? What is
        > traditional headwear? I could only find documentation on something
        > that looks like a rolled hat. Any suggestions?
        > Thanks
        > Katrina

      • Leah Lloyd
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 22, 2008
          Your Excellency :)

          Check out reconstructinghistory.com - Kass's should be able to point you in the right direction.  You can also email her with further questions.

          Danabren

          --- On Wed, 10/22/08, Deann Solomon <stacia2@...> wrote:

          Hello All! I need some help. My Neighbor (only 3 months as a
          scadian), talked me into making her an irish Over dress and liene. My
          problem is that we are going to crown (EK - this weekend), and we will
          be outside. She wanted to make something to wear over her head to
          keep her warm, and I really can't find anything. I was looking for
          something similar to a modern shawl that she could put around her
          shoulders and then drape over her head - can anyone help? What is
          traditional headwear? I could only find documentation on something
          that looks like a rolled hat. Any suggestions?
          Thanks
          Katrina

        • not_sucha_angel
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 22, 2008
            I do a 12th cent irish and just use a yard long piece of plaid with
            rough edges.. pin it just above each breast with kilt pins (or if
            you don't have pins you can drap across neck and over shoulders)
            leaving a pocket of fabric in back to create a hood... also keeps
            your shoulders and back of neck warm and the sun off in summer...if
            your not 100% period then you could use the flannel plaids for extra
            warmth and lighter weights in summer... just a quick idea for lack of
            time =)

            wrote:

            > Hello All! I need some help. My Neighbor (only 3 months as a
            > scadian), talked me into making her an irish Over dress and liene.
            My
            > problem is that we are going to crown (EK - this weekend), and we
            will
            > be outside. She wanted to make something to wear over her head to
            > keep her warm, and I really can't find anything. I was looking for
            > something similar to a modern shawl that she could put around her
            > shoulders and then drape over her head - can anyone help? What is
            > traditional headwear? I could only find documentation on something
            > that looks like a rolled hat. Any suggestions?
            > Thanks
            > Katrina

          • The Solomons
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 23, 2008
              Thank you both!

              wrote:

              > Hello All! I need some help. My Neighbor (only 3 months as a
              > scadian), talked me into making her an irish Over dress and liene.
              My
              > problem is that we are going to crown (EK - this weekend), and we
              will
              > be outside. She wanted to make something to wear over her head to
              > keep her warm, and I really can't find anything. I was looking for
              > something similar to a modern shawl that she could put around her
              > shoulders and then drape over her head - can anyone help? What is
              > traditional headwear? I could only find documentation on something
              > that looks like a rolled hat. Any suggestions?
              > Thanks
              > Katrina

            • M'lady Foxy
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 23, 2008
                think I forgot to say you can pleat the fabric a bit or just kind of scrunch it before pins

                > I do a 12th cent irish and just use a yard long piece
                > of plaid with
                > rough edges.. pin it just above each breast with kilt
                > pins (or if
                > you don't have pins you can drap across neck and
                > over shoulders)
                > leaving a pocket of fabric in back to create a hood...
                > also keeps
                > your shoulders and back of neck warm and the sun off in
                > summer...if
                > your not 100% period then you could use the flannel
                > plaids for extra
                > warmth and lighter weights in summer... just a quick
                > idea for lack of
                > time =)
                >
                > --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Deann
                > Solomon" <stacia2@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Hello All! I need some help. My Neighbor (only 3
                > months as a
                > > scadian), talked me into making her an irish Over
                > dress and liene.
                > My
                > > problem is that we are going to crown (EK - this
                > weekend), and we
                > will
                > > be outside. She wanted to make something to wear
                > over her head to
                > > keep her warm, and I really can't find
                > anything. I was looking for
                > > something similar to a modern shawl that she could
                > put around her
                > > shoulders and then drape over her head - can
                > anyone help? What is
                > > traditional headwear? I could only find
                > documentation on something
                > > that looks like a rolled hat. Any suggestions?
                > > Thanks
                > > Katrina

                > Release Date: 10/22/2008 7:24 PM

                > http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-MillinersYahoo!
                > Groups Links

              • The Solomons
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 23, 2008
                  thank you so much for the help.
                  think I forgot to say you can pleat the fabric a bit or just kind of scrunch it before pins

                  > I do a 12th cent irish and just use a yard long piece
                  > of plaid with
                  > rough edges.. pin it just above each breast with kilt
                  > pins (or if
                  > you don't have pins you can drap across neck and
                  > over shoulders)
                  > leaving a pocket of fabric in back to create a hood...
                  > also keeps
                  > your shoulders and back of neck warm and the sun off in
                  > summer...if
                  > your not 100% period then you could use the flannel
                  > plaids for extra
                  > warmth and lighter weights in summer... just a quick
                  > idea for lack of
                  > time =)
                  >
                  > --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Deann
                  > Solomon" <stacia2@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hello All! I need some help. My Neighbor (only 3
                  > months as a
                  > > scadian), talked me into making her an irish Over
                  > dress and liene.
                  > My
                  > > problem is that we are going to crown (EK - this
                  > weekend), and we
                  > will
                  > > be outside. She wanted to make something to wear
                  > over her head to
                  > > keep her warm, and I really can't find
                  > anything. I was looking for
                  > > something similar to a modern shawl that she could
                  > put around her
                  > > shoulders and then drape over her head - can
                  > anyone help? What is
                  > > traditional headwear? I could only find
                  > documentation on something
                  > > that looks like a rolled hat. Any suggestions?
                  > > Thanks
                  > > Katrina

                  > Release Date: 10/22/2008 7:24 PM

                  > http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-MillinersYahoo!