my introduction

  • Lu'lu'ah
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 15, 2008
      Greetings,
      I'm fairly (3 months) new to the SCA as a member, but have been waiting
      for years to join because there was no group near my home. I finally
      moved back to my hometown which formed the Shire of Skerjastrond
      <http://www.angelfire.com/planet/skerjastrond/> in Northshield during
      my absence. If you visit my shires website, the photo is rather old.
      We are going to take a new group photo in the upcoming weeks. It's
      almost a dream come true for me to be a member of the SCA. I have an
      active shire of wonderful, creative and supportive people that welcomed
      me with open arms.I have always wanted to be a near-eastern persona from
      North Africa during the mid 1500's. I had also picked out most of the
      components of my name years ago, which is kind of a problem, because
      since that time my chosen personal name is no longer documented as a
      female name, but only a male name. But I have been waiting a long time
      to do this and decided to just stick with my choice that I've been
      wanting to use for almost ten years.
      As for hats, I've always loved hats since I was a kid. I haven't made
      many hats out of fabric, but have crocheted lots of hats over the years.
      I'm really happy to have found this group and the millinery resources
      offered here. I would love to have a little side business making SCA
      era hats to sell. I know, pretty ambitious, but it drives me crazy that
      people seem to put so much time into garb, and especially in my shire,
      armor, but don't have the least concern that they don't have a decent
      hat on their head! As I said, I'm new, but it seems pretty established
      that people wore hats, even the poorest serf wouldn't go out with their
      head uncovered!
      Right now, I am a caregiver to my mother. I quit my job and moved back
      to my hometown to help her out. It would be nice to have a little
      something going on to help us out financially as my husband is
      shouldering the burden, yet wouldn't interfere giving my mother the
      attention she deserves. I have a very supportive and understanding
      husband that has helped me through the tough decisions of moving near my
      mother and visiting him about once a month. My shire has gone a long
      way of keeping me from losing my mind!
      Again, I'm very happy to be a member here and I'm looking forward to
      trying to construct some of the hat patterns and ideas that I have found
      in the groups various files, links and photo pages and hope to have some
      of my own photos to contribute soon.
      Yours In Service,
      Lu'lu'ah bint Yahya al-Wuhsha

    • Deborah Pipe
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 15, 2008
        Welcome
        I think I am the next newest member of this group so not the official welcoming party
        but nice to have another newby
        Deborah

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 15, 2008
          Welcome :)