Re: Hat with 'bill'

  • borderlands15213
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 5 1:10 PM
      --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Deborah Pipe <deblouma@...> wrote:

      > That is such a beautiful hat, I am guessing what you mean by a bill
      is what I (in UK)Â would call a brim - am I right?

      Ummm. Yes, and no. What we here in the States call a "bill" on a hat
      or cap (usually a cap; someone has mentioned a baseball cap, similar
      but not identical to the headgear worn by these members of Eton's
      cricket players in 1951:
      http://www.bahamianseashells.com/Cricket1.jpg) is a *partial* brim,
      and resembles a duck's bill---hence the term.
      These are caps with "bills," all of them promotional items in that
      they bear the company name of John Deere [Tractor.]
      http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=John+Deere+cap&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2

      Does this help at all?

      Yseult the Gentle
    • Deborah Pipe
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 6 12:17 AM
        Thanks for that Yseult
        so what you would call a 'bill' , I would call a 'peak'!
        what confuses me now is how the red hat in the picture might be considered to have a bill/peak, as I had never contemplated having one on the edge of a brim - I bet there was some other name for this hat part somewhere along the line
        if it is that part then my thoughts on where the it would be work is definately at the back - sort of like the sun sheild that hangs down behin those base ball style caps that are worn by people in very hot countries
        Deborah

        > That is such a beautiful hat, I am guessing what you mean by a bill
        is what I (in UK)Â would call a brim - am I right?

        Ummm. Yes, and no. What we here in the States call a "bill" on a hat
        or cap (usually a cap; someone has mentioned a baseball cap, similar
        but not identical to the headgear worn by these members of Eton's
        cricket players in 1951:
        http://www.bahamian seashells. com/Cricket1. jpg) is a *partial* brim,
        and resembles a duck's bill---hence the term.
        These are caps with "bills," all of them promotional items in that
        they bear the company name of John Deere [Tractor.]
        http://images. google.com/ images?hl= en&q=John+ Deere+cap& btnG=Search+ Images&gbv= 2

        Does this help at all?

        Yseult the Gentle

      • Cindy Mays

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 17 9:17 PM
            --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Cindy Mays <moirabreabadair@...>
            wrote:

            > I'm sorry.... when I wrote "bill" as a description of the hat flaps,
            my brain had stopped functioning, and couldn't think of "brim."� Thank
            you, Yseult!

            > In service, with pleasure,
            > Moira Breabadair

            <<<snipped>>>