piecing plastic canvas

  • Julie
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 24 8:57 AM
      I'm wanting to make a tall hat and plan to use plastic canvas. WHen you piece the canvas, how do you attach the pieces? Gotta be overlap 'cause you sure can't seam it. Does the hat or brim "break" at these joinings?
      Is the overlap visible? I'm planning on covering with thin cotton batting.
      Julie
    • Salli Weston, Scott Theisen
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 24 10:12 AM
        I butt them up and then use a waste peice across the join on the underside
        to reinforce them. Then it's invisible from the outside.

        Petranella

        --
        Vladimir Radescu
        Petranella Fitzallen

      • Leah Lloyd
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 24 10:14 AM
          The overlap shouldn't be visible with a fabric cover, unless you're using a garden hose in place of thread, and especially if you're covering it with batting.  When I use canvas/buckram, I overlap by about an inch just because why not?  This allows me to make a running stitch in the shape of a square about 3/4", which really keeps everything in place.

          I'm wanting to make a tall hat and plan to use plastic canvas. WHen you piece the canvas, how do you attach the pieces? Gotta be overlap 'cause you sure can't seam it. Does the hat or brim "break" at these joinings?
          Is the overlap visible? I'm planning on covering with thin cotton batting.
          Julie

        • Anetika Roller
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 25 8:21 AM
            I cut my plastic without seam allowances. Then I sandwich the plastic (usig
            glue and zig zag stitches) between two layers of buckram, cut with seam
            allowances. I sew the buckram just like any other seam. This butts the
            plastic edges up against each other. When the batting goes on (I usually
            glue that part too), you cant see any trace of the plastic.

            Good luck,
            Constance

            --
            "I am my father's daughter, and I am not afraid of anything"

            -Queens Elizabeth I and II

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 25 10:19 PM
              Also make sure that when you cut it, you cut the outside edge so that
              it is flat, not like a row of little teeth. If you cut it so it has
              little teeth on any edge that points outward or inward, they will
              eventually poke through something somewhere. Edges that overlap are
              not as critical.