Re: decorating straw hats

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 5, 2008
      --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Julie <jtknits@...> wrote:

      > I need a wide brimmed hat for protection from the sun at most
      events. I can document straw hats in various periods but all I've
      found have been completely plain. I like feathers & bows. Is there
      any documentation to Elizabethan time of highly decorated hats or is
      this Victorian?

      There is a painting of a spanish hat (possibly straw) covered in
      peacock feathers. Isabel Ximenez de Gaucin made a copy of it. I
      don't know the source.

      IIRC, I think I've seen period pics of hats with pilgrim badges, but
      don't remember if they were straw or not.

      I have noticed that if you see good close-ups of some paintings (the
      wedding of Giovanni Arnolfini, for example) you can see that some of
      the black hats one would assume were felt are actually very finely
      made straw. It could be possble that the black German ren. hats with
      all the feathers could be straw, but I've never looked closely enough
      to find out.

      In general, doing up a hat like it was a gift-wrapped bouquet or
      aviary is a Victorian habit.

      Rashid
    • Leah Lloyd
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 5, 2008
        I believe that comes from either the Spanish Cantigas http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cantigas/ or Alphonso X's Book Of Games http://games.rengeekcentral.com/

        It's a very funny hat, pompoms and feathers :)

        Danabren

        unclrashid <unclrashid@...> wrote:

        There is a painting of a spanish hat (possibly straw) covered in
        peacock feathers. Isabel Ximenez de Gaucin made a copy of it. I
        don't know the source.

        Recent Activity

        1
        New Members

        Visit Your Group
        Only on Yahoo!
        Star Wars galaxy
        Create a profile
        and meet fans.

        Yahoo! News
        Kevin Sites
        Get coverage of
        world crises.

        Biz Resources
        Y! Small Business
        Articles, tools,
        forms, and more.

        .

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 5, 2008
          Right!!! I forgot the pom-poms. Totally geeky-cool. I love it!

          Rashid
          --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Leah Lloyd <danabren@...> wrote:

          > I believe that comes from either the Spanish Cantigas
          http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cantigas/ or Alphonso X's Book Of Games
          http://games.rengeekcentral.com/

          > It's a very funny hat, pompoms and feathers :)
          >
          > Danabren
          >
          > unclrashid <unclrashid@...> wrote:
          >

          > There is a painting of a spanish hat (possibly straw) covered in
          > peacock feathers. Isabel Ximenez de Gaucin made a copy of it. I
          > don't know the source.
        • Julie
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 6, 2008
            > 1d. Re: decorating straw hats
            > Posted by: "unclrashid" unclrashid@... unclrashid
            > Date: Thu Jun 5, 2008 4:40 pm ((PDT))
            >
            > Right!!! I forgot the pom-poms. Totally geeky-cool. I love it!
            >
            > Rashid
            > --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Leah Lloyd <danabren@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I believe that comes from either the Spanish Cantigas
            > http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cantigas/ or Alphonso X's Book Of Games
            > http://games.rengeekcentral.com/
            > >
            > > It's a very funny hat, pompoms and feathers :)
            > >
            > > Danabren
            > >
            > > unclrashid <unclrashid@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > There is a painting of a spanish hat (possibly straw) covered in
            > > peacock feathers. Isabel Ximenez de Gaucin made a copy of it. I
            > > don't know the source.

            Rats! I didn't find it in Cantiguas and work blocks anything with "games" in the name.
            Julie
          • Kat
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 7, 2008
              The only thing I can add, it is not on roses etc...
              Not Elizabethan, more Italian (16thC)
              Moda Firenze notes that Florence was well known for its straw hats and they
              were often lined with silk....
              I am in the process of trying to accomplish this one.
              Kat.
              La Signora Onorata Katerina da Brescia, Innilgard.
              The Purplefiles http://katerina.purplefiles.net

              "Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might
              as well dance!"