Re: Greetings, New member seeking advice about wigmaking

  • Seonaid13
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 2, 2008
      > I've worked with this stuff. What exactly is the difficulty you
      >are having?

      Mainly that it seems to snarl up all by itself, regardless of how
      many times i've just combed it, or if I use a damp comb or not.
      Plus.. the stuff seems to just disperse by itself and end up
      EVERYWHERE. It has a mind of its own.

      > Again, I need to know what the problem is you are having. Have you
      > considered purchasing kanekelon mini-braids? would save you much
      > time and work, and though I have never used them, I suspect they
      >tend NOT to unravel.

      THANK YOU! I didn't even know that you could buy PRE-braided hair!
      I'm going to have to make a trip to a beauty supply place soon.

      > And lastly, I would never be able to work with kanekalon without my
      > hackle.

      I don't really have the wherewithal to make or use one of these, but
      I DO have access to some never-used dog-grooming brushes, and I think
      one of them might do the trick. A slicker brush might work better
      than the plastic comb I've been using.

      Thanks for the tips,
      Sfandra
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 3, 2008
        --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Seonaid13" <seonaid13@...>
        wrote:

        > > I've worked with this stuff. What exactly is the difficulty you
        > >are having?
        >
        > Mainly that it seems to snarl up all by itself, regardless of how
        > many times i've just combed it, or if I use a damp comb or not.
        > Plus.. the stuff seems to just disperse by itself and end up
        > EVERYWHERE. It has a mind of its own.

        Try cutting it to only a bit longer than the length needed before you
        start warking with it. The shorter it is, the less likely to snarl.
        You also need to de-snarl it after every couple turns of the braid.

        You might try spraying water on it with a plant mister if you think
        static electricity is making it worse.

        > > And lastly, I would never be able to work with kanekalon without
        my
        > > hackle.
        >
        > I don't really have the wherewithal to make or use one of these,
        but
        > I DO have access to some never-used dog-grooming brushes, and I
        think
        > one of them might do the trick. A slicker brush might work better
        > than the plastic comb I've been using.

        It's not like you need heavy equipment. You need a piece of wood, a
        box of finishing nails and a hammer.

        Good Luck.

        Rashid
      • borderlands15213
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 4, 2008
          --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "unclrashid" <unclrashid@...> wrote:

          > --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Seonaid13" <seonaid13@>
          > wrote:
          > >

          > > > I've worked with this stuff. What exactly is the difficulty you
          > > >are having?
          > >
          > > Mainly that it seems to snarl up all by itself, regardless of how
          > > many times i've just combed it, or if I use a damp comb or not.
          > > Plus.. the stuff seems to just disperse by itself and end up
          > > EVERYWHERE. It has a mind of its own.
          >
          > Try cutting it to only a bit longer than the length needed before you
          > start warking with it. The shorter it is, the less likely to snarl.
          > You also need to de-snarl it after every couple turns of the braid.
          >
          > You might try spraying water on it with a plant mister if you think
          > static electricity is making it worse.

          I was wondering about two things, here: one, in addition to dampening
          the kanekalon hair with a plant mister/spritzing bottle is raising the
          humidity in the immediate working area by means of one of those
          table-top misters or humidifiers that produces a cool or cold mist
          (works on some sonic principle, or something like that.) If you can,
          borrow this. Ideally, you'll find access to one that has controls for
          mist volume and mist density.
          The other is, assuming you're making what we called a "three-braid,"
          when we were kids--moving alternate outside portions of the material
          being braided over the center section--would it help to have wrapped
          each section in strips of muslin, much like bandaging a race-horse's
          legs, before you begin braiding? The muslin, being cotton, won't
          generate much static nor provide as much opportunity for the kanekalon
          to produce static against itself, and if you wrap from the bottom of
          the strand upward toward where you're going to begin working, you can
          unwrap a turn or so to expose the next inch or three of fake hair.
          Yes, this is tedious. When you wrap, you have to have enough overlap
          to keep the hair covered and manageable; and in the unwrapping, you
          have to keep the loose ends of the wrappings out of the way, somehow
          (safety-pin each back on its own wrapped-up area?) and you'd have to
          have some smaller strip of something like muslin, or some natural
          fiber cord (again, to avoid static) or some type of clamp to keep the
          braid from coming loose while you pause in the braiding to unwrapped
          another few inches of each of the three sections of hair.
          I'm one of those belt-and-suspender types, though, and I like to have
          my materials under control, so I'll accept tedious and even
          inconvenient, and slower, in order to achieve that end.

          > > > And lastly, I would never be able to work with kanekalon without
          > my
          > > > hackle.
          > >
          > > I don't really have the wherewithal to make or use one of these,
          > but
          > > I DO have access to some never-used dog-grooming brushes, and I
          > think
          > > one of them might do the trick. A slicker brush might work better
          > > than the plastic comb I've been using.
          > >

          > It's not like you need heavy equipment. You need a piece of wood, a
          > box of finishing nails and a hammer.

          True, Rashid, but that only takes care of the making of a hackle.
          Sfandra still needs a sturdy, solid surface to which to be able to
          clamp the hackle, and may not have one. First thought would be a
          table, but if her only table is great-grandmother's still-perfect,
          gleaming French-polished mahogany dining table brought back as a
          wedding present by great-uncle when he finished up working in British
          Malaya on a rubber plantation (adventuresome lad!), that'll be ruled
          out. A possibility would be the edge of the kitchen countertop,
          assuming there is one and that it's deep enough to provide a grip for
          the clamps. In my end-of-Arts-and-Crafts-Movement house, the top of
          the counter in the pantry is flush with the face of the cabinet below.
          (And the kitchen proper is very Victorian: just a box with a
          connection for a gas stove, and that connection was added *later.*)
          Sfandra, I'm assuming you don't keep a pair of C-clamps somewhere
          around your home and that your SO doesn't either. What about a
          friend? Who, perhaps, will also let you use (or whose dad or uncle
          will allow you to use) his workbench or work table? A friend of mine
          allowed me to replace the screening in my front and back screen doors,
          and, because we also had to replace the trim holding the screening in
          position, to stain the new wood to match the old---all on his custom
          built picnic tables, which he said he needs to refinish anyway. Very
          gallant of him, I thought.
          A pair of saw horses and a length of two-by-four, and two more
          C-clamps--larger ones?
          Just some thoughts, here.

          Yseult the Gentle
        • Wyndylyn
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 4, 2008
            For wrapping the hair while you braid, you can pull on some of that cotton
            tubing they use for under finger casts and splints. It's somewhat stretchy,
            comes in various diameters and can be slowly slid off the hair as you have
            braided a turn or two. If the hair is attached to a cap already, you can
            fold the hair against a cord and use the cord to pull it through the tube.

            Wyndylyn

            stuf�����,�A�H)���r'v��I�W��J�kP�w]uZK��]���2���I�I�����mq

          • Sfandra
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 4, 2008

              stufÝã̚,‘A€H)Ô׊r'v§ÓI·WÒÉJºkPµw]uZKÉÞ]¦çÍ2¦ðII³δ ¢mqUXy\
              > ég8J•¢‰ÎŠ\TG.­óûöìÎHOt
              > ӈ„M$…1‚~Q’$¤«0"¯E*ÅÝb

              §+DØ#UâèïviMRÇÒg•‘´´Òußúh8¾8SbTç"4š¿ç¹6œcÔ¿üAÜ~ G-ì'“ï­p“™Ü£.oÔUMƐC;†Î¢¶Þ4FƳX¤Ó3W^ï=‹õ{v±(6Âëò=R}¤/hÊèè|Æ}*­MaÏ]%¼MÓÍyíºª$S”uÅóѓF OF]Øþ'GžD
              > it is, the less likely to snarl.

              Um... either I REALLY need more coffee this morning,
              or your link came through as gobledy-gook....

              > True, Rashid, but that only takes care of the making
              > of a hackle.
              > Sfandra still needs a sturdy, solid surface to which
              > to be able to
              > clamp the hackle, and may not have one. First
              > thought would be a
              > table, but if her only table is great-grandmother's
              > still-perfect,
              > gleaming French-polished mahogany dining table
              > brought back as a
              > wedding present by great-uncle when he finished up
              > working in British
              > Malaya on a rubber plantation (adventuresome lad!),
              > that'll be ruled out.

              LOL! I have a table. I have no C clamps.

              S'OK though -- I'm getting the slicker brush tomorrow,
              that ought to help. I'm also hoping to do a little
              poking around for pre-braided hair.

              As for braid finishing.... Did you know that there's a
              company that makes glue sticks for standard craft glue
              guns in colors to match hair extentions?? :D :D GLEE!

              Thanks for the tips,
              Sfandra

              ******************
              Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
              Haus Von Drakenklaue
              Kingdom of the East
              ******************
              Never 'pearl' your butt.
            • borderlands15213
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 4, 2008
                That's gobbledegook, all right. I'm presuming it's mine and not
                Wyndylyn's.
                Or, it could be both of ours. I'm not having trouble that I know of
                on any other list,
                Oh! Just noticed "less likely to snarl," which suggests Rashid's
                post, and I've also noticed that part of that...erm, text looks to be
                Cyrillic. Not that it means much to me no matter what alphabet it is...
                Anyway, I'm trying again with that section of my post which seems to
                have been 'gobbledegooked.' If this doesn't come through clear and
                clean, you might want to read via the Yahoo Group web site.
                I had written:

                --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:

                > stufÝã̚,`A€H)Ô׊r'v§ÓI·WÒÉJºkPµw]uZKÉÞ]¦çÍ2¦ðII³δ ¢mqUXy\
                > > ég8J•¢‰ÎŠ\TG.­óûöìÎHOt
                > > ӈ„M$…1‚~Q'$¤«0"¯E*ÅÝb

                §+DØ#UâèïviMRÇÒg•`´´Òußúh8¾8SbTç"4š¿ç¹6œcÔ¿üAÜ~ G-ì'"ï­p"™Ü£.oÔUMƐC;†Î¢¶Þ4FƳX¤Ó3W^ï=‹õ{v±(6Âëò=R}¤/hÊèè|Æ}*­MaÏ]%¼MÓÍyíºª$S"uÅóÑ"F OF]Øþ'GžD