Re: Greetings, New member seeking advice about wigmaking

    Message 1 of 9 , May 30, 2008
      --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Seonaid13" <seonaid13@...>
      wrote:

      > Right now, inspired by a christmas gift, I'm working on a project
      > that's definitely PRE period: an 19th Dynasty Egyptian outfit, for
      > a "night out" outfit for Pennsic. Egyptology is my other passion,
      > after Kievan Russia.
      >
      > I'm hoping to get a little advice from members here. I'm planning
      on
      > making a WIG. Since the proper contemporary method of making wigs
      is
      > way out of my reach, in time and technique, I've started by making
      > muslin coif with ties at the base of my skull, so that it holds
      very
      > snugly. Now I'm preparing to build up the "hair", intending to sew
      > the braids to the coif.
      >
      > http://gallery.villagehatshop.com/gallery/view_photo.php?
      > set_albumName=chapter1&id=6_G The sketch in the bottom right
      corner
      > is my basis. I'll probably also make the circlet shown right above
      > it.
      >
      > I have a couple of packages of fake hair, kanekalon. I'm finding
      it
      > incredibly difficult to work with, particularly in the longer braid
      > lengths i'm going to need.

      I've worked with this stuff. What exactly is the difficulty you are
      having?

      > In addition, how does one 'end' a braid?

      Tying them with black thread is probably the best idea. But you can
      also get teensy black rubberbands that would be faster than tying.
      Nail polish might work... you'd have to cut the end of braid flush
      or flat and use two rubberbands to hold it while it dried.

      > In addition, I'm wondering if saving my sanity and just using black
      > wool yarn would be passable? There's some evidence that cheaper
      wigs
      > in ancient egypt were made from dyed wool or horsehair. My concern
      > is.. would I end up looking like Raggety Ann Goes To Egypt?!?

      That's going to be somewhat in the "eye of the beholder". Also
      partially a function of the size and texture of yarn you use. If you
      can get an affordable source of the kind of wool used for crewel
      embroidery, that would probably look pretty good.

      > Does anyone have suggestions for working with kanekelon hair?

      Again, I need to know what the problem is you are having. Have you
      considered purchasing kanekelon mini-braids? would save you much
      time and work, and though I have never used them, I suspect they tend
      NOT to unravel.

      Another possibility is plying the kanekalon like rope. There is a
      way to twist and ply real hair that goes quite quickly (I used to set
      my daughter's hair that way for the SCA if I didn't have time to do
      tiny braids), it would also work with fake hair if you have some way
      of anchoring it at the midpoint.

      Kanekalon can be heat set, but you have to let if cool completely
      before you uncurl it. If you want to straighten it out, use a fat
      curling iron on low setting (test it first) and just pull thin
      sections of it through the iron. Curling it is harder because you
      have to leave it on the iron until it cools. It might be possible to
      put it on curlers (or in braids) and boil them like you do to set
      plied yarn.

      And lastly, I would never be able to work with kanekalon without my
      hackle. You take a 24 inch section of lath or thin lumber and pound
      40 or 50 1.5 inch finishing nails through it arranged like you are
      making a giant hairbrush out of nails (pointy side up). Then you
      just clamp it to a sturdy surface and you can flail the hank of hair
      through it and rip the hell out of any tangles. It's also used for
      blending different colors together, but you won't need to do that for
      an Egyptian wig.

      Rashid
      PS
      if none of these ideas deal with your problem, give me a more
      specific idea what its doing wrong.
    • Seonaid13
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 2, 2008
        > I've worked with this stuff. What exactly is the difficulty you
        >are having?

        Mainly that it seems to snarl up all by itself, regardless of how
        many times i've just combed it, or if I use a damp comb or not.
        Plus.. the stuff seems to just disperse by itself and end up
        EVERYWHERE. It has a mind of its own.

        > Again, I need to know what the problem is you are having. Have you
        > considered purchasing kanekelon mini-braids? would save you much
        > time and work, and though I have never used them, I suspect they
        >tend NOT to unravel.

        THANK YOU! I didn't even know that you could buy PRE-braided hair!
        I'm going to have to make a trip to a beauty supply place soon.

        > And lastly, I would never be able to work with kanekalon without my
        > hackle.

        I don't really have the wherewithal to make or use one of these, but
        I DO have access to some never-used dog-grooming brushes, and I think
        one of them might do the trick. A slicker brush might work better
        than the plastic comb I've been using.

        Thanks for the tips,
        Sfandra
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 3, 2008
          wrote:

          > > I've worked with this stuff. What exactly is the difficulty you
          > >are having?
          >
          > Mainly that it seems to snarl up all by itself, regardless of how
          > many times i've just combed it, or if I use a damp comb or not.
          > Plus.. the stuff seems to just disperse by itself and end up
          > EVERYWHERE. It has a mind of its own.

          Try cutting it to only a bit longer than the length needed before you
          start warking with it. The shorter it is, the less likely to snarl.
          You also need to de-snarl it after every couple turns of the braid.

          You might try spraying water on it with a plant mister if you think
          static electricity is making it worse.

          > > And lastly, I would never be able to work with kanekalon without
          my
          > > hackle.
          >
          > I don't really have the wherewithal to make or use one of these,
          but
          > I DO have access to some never-used dog-grooming brushes, and I
          think
          > one of them might do the trick. A slicker brush might work better
          > than the plastic comb I've been using.

          It's not like you need heavy equipment. You need a piece of wood, a
          box of finishing nails and a hammer.

          Good Luck.

          Rashid
        • borderlands15213
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 4, 2008
            --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "unclrashid" <unclrashid@...> wrote:

            > --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Seonaid13" <seonaid13@>
            > wrote:
            > >

            > > > I've worked with this stuff. What exactly is the difficulty you
            > > >are having?
            > >
            > > Mainly that it seems to snarl up all by itself, regardless of how
            > > many times i've just combed it, or if I use a damp comb or not.
            > > Plus.. the stuff seems to just disperse by itself and end up
            > > EVERYWHERE. It has a mind of its own.
            >
            > Try cutting it to only a bit longer than the length needed before you
            > start warking with it. The shorter it is, the less likely to snarl.
            > You also need to de-snarl it after every couple turns of the braid.
            >
            > You might try spraying water on it with a plant mister if you think
            > static electricity is making it worse.

            I was wondering about two things, here: one, in addition to dampening
            the kanekalon hair with a plant mister/spritzing bottle is raising the
            humidity in the immediate working area by means of one of those
            table-top misters or humidifiers that produces a cool or cold mist
            (works on some sonic principle, or something like that.) If you can,
            borrow this. Ideally, you'll find access to one that has controls for
            mist volume and mist density.
            The other is, assuming you're making what we called a "three-braid,"
            when we were kids--moving alternate outside portions of the material
            being braided over the center section--would it help to have wrapped
            each section in strips of muslin, much like bandaging a race-horse's
            legs, before you begin braiding? The muslin, being cotton, won't
            generate much static nor provide as much opportunity for the kanekalon
            to produce static against itself, and if you wrap from the bottom of
            the strand upward toward where you're going to begin working, you can
            unwrap a turn or so to expose the next inch or three of fake hair.
            Yes, this is tedious. When you wrap, you have to have enough overlap
            to keep the hair covered and manageable; and in the unwrapping, you
            have to keep the loose ends of the wrappings out of the way, somehow
            (safety-pin each back on its own wrapped-up area?) and you'd have to
            have some smaller strip of something like muslin, or some natural
            fiber cord (again, to avoid static) or some type of clamp to keep the
            braid from coming loose while you pause in the braiding to unwrapped
            another few inches of each of the three sections of hair.
            I'm one of those belt-and-suspender types, though, and I like to have
            my materials under control, so I'll accept tedious and even
            inconvenient, and slower, in order to achieve that end.

            > > > And lastly, I would never be able to work with kanekalon without
            > my
            > > > hackle.
            > >
            > > I don't really have the wherewithal to make or use one of these,
            > but
            > > I DO have access to some never-used dog-grooming brushes, and I
            > think
            > > one of them might do the trick. A slicker brush might work better
            > > than the plastic comb I've been using.
            > >

            > It's not like you need heavy equipment. You need a piece of wood, a
            > box of finishing nails and a hammer.

            True, Rashid, but that only takes care of the making of a hackle.
            Sfandra still needs a sturdy, solid surface to which to be able to
            clamp the hackle, and may not have one. First thought would be a
            table, but if her only table is great-grandmother's still-perfect,
            gleaming French-polished mahogany dining table brought back as a
            wedding present by great-uncle when he finished up working in British
            Malaya on a rubber plantation (adventuresome lad!), that'll be ruled
            out. A possibility would be the edge of the kitchen countertop,
            assuming there is one and that it's deep enough to provide a grip for
            the clamps. In my end-of-Arts-and-Crafts-Movement house, the top of
            the counter in the pantry is flush with the face of the cabinet below.
            (And the kitchen proper is very Victorian: just a box with a
            connection for a gas stove, and that connection was added *later.*)
            Sfandra, I'm assuming you don't keep a pair of C-clamps somewhere
            around your home and that your SO doesn't either. What about a
            friend? Who, perhaps, will also let you use (or whose dad or uncle
            will allow you to use) his workbench or work table? A friend of mine
            allowed me to replace the screening in my front and back screen doors,
            and, because we also had to replace the trim holding the screening in
            position, to stain the new wood to match the old---all on his custom
            built picnic tables, which he said he needs to refinish anyway. Very
            gallant of him, I thought.
            A pair of saw horses and a length of two-by-four, and two more
            C-clamps--larger ones?
            Just some thoughts, here.

            Yseult the Gentle
          • Wyndylyn
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 4, 2008
              For wrapping the hair while you braid, you can pull on some of that cotton
              tubing they use for under finger casts and splints. It's somewhat stretchy,
              comes in various diameters and can be slowly slid off the hair as you have
              braided a turn or two. If the hair is attached to a cap already, you can
              fold the hair against a cord and use the cord to pull it through the tube.

              Wyndylyn

              stuf�����,�A�H)���r'v��I�W��J�kP�w]uZK��]���2���I�I�����mq

            • Sfandra
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 4, 2008

                stufÝã̚,‘A€H)Ô׊r'v§ÓI·WÒÉJºkPµw]uZKÉÞ]¦çÍ2¦ðII³δ ¢mqUXy\
                > ég8J•¢‰ÎŠ\TG.­óûöìÎHOt
                > ӈ„M$…1‚~Q’$¤«0"¯E*ÅÝb

                §+DØ#UâèïviMRÇÒg•‘´´Òußúh8¾8SbTç"4š¿ç¹6œcÔ¿üAÜ~ G-ì'“ï­p“™Ü£.oÔUMƐC;†Î¢¶Þ4FƳX¤Ó3W^ï=‹õ{v±(6Âëò=R}¤/hÊèè|Æ}*­MaÏ]%¼MÓÍyíºª$S”uÅóѓF OF]Øþ'GžD
                > it is, the less likely to snarl.

                Um... either I REALLY need more coffee this morning,
                or your link came through as gobledy-gook....

                > True, Rashid, but that only takes care of the making
                > of a hackle.
                > Sfandra still needs a sturdy, solid surface to which
                > to be able to
                > clamp the hackle, and may not have one. First
                > thought would be a
                > table, but if her only table is great-grandmother's
                > still-perfect,
                > gleaming French-polished mahogany dining table
                > brought back as a
                > wedding present by great-uncle when he finished up
                > working in British
                > Malaya on a rubber plantation (adventuresome lad!),
                > that'll be ruled out.

                LOL! I have a table. I have no C clamps.

                S'OK though -- I'm getting the slicker brush tomorrow,
                that ought to help. I'm also hoping to do a little
                poking around for pre-braided hair.

                As for braid finishing.... Did you know that there's a
                company that makes glue sticks for standard craft glue
                guns in colors to match hair extentions?? :D :D GLEE!

                Thanks for the tips,
                Sfandra

                ******************
                Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
                Haus Von Drakenklaue
                Kingdom of the East
                ******************
                Never 'pearl' your butt.
              • borderlands15213
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 4, 2008
                  That's gobbledegook, all right. I'm presuming it's mine and not
                  Wyndylyn's.
                  Or, it could be both of ours. I'm not having trouble that I know of
                  on any other list,
                  Oh! Just noticed "less likely to snarl," which suggests Rashid's
                  post, and I've also noticed that part of that...erm, text looks to be
                  Cyrillic. Not that it means much to me no matter what alphabet it is...
                  Anyway, I'm trying again with that section of my post which seems to
                  have been 'gobbledegooked.' If this doesn't come through clear and
                  clean, you might want to read via the Yahoo Group web site.
                  I had written:

                  --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:

                  > stufÝã̚,`A€H)Ô׊r'v§ÓI·WÒÉJºkPµw]uZKÉÞ]¦çÍ2¦ðII³δ ¢mqUXy\
                  > > ég8J•¢‰ÎŠ\TG.­óûöìÎHOt
                  > > ӈ„M$…1‚~Q'$¤«0"¯E*ÅÝb

                  §+DØ#UâèïviMRÇÒg•`´´Òußúh8¾8SbTç"4š¿ç¹6œcÔ¿üAÜ~ G-ì'"ï­p"™Ü£.oÔUMƐC;†Î¢¶Þ4FƳX¤Ó3W^ï=‹õ{v±(6Âëò=R}¤/hÊèè|Æ}*­MaÏ]%¼MÓÍyíºª$S"uÅóÑ"F OF]Øþ'GžD