Re: halo-brimmed hat

  • fionnghualaingheanuilliam
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 30, 2008
      Thanks so much for the links. The last one looks like that depicted
      by John Derricke. Since I don't speak German, do you know if a time
      frame is mentioned for the last picture?
      I also did a search on John Derricke and happened on the woodcut that
      I initially mentioned
      http://www.kimiko1.com/dressdiaries/irishbard/party.html
      The woman seated at the table has what has been described as a "halo
      brimmed" hat. Any ideas on how it was made?
      Sandy

      wheezul@... wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I just ran across these artworks from a German "trachtenbuch"
      (fashion
      > book) today:
      >

      > http://mdzx.bib-bvb.de/codicon/Blatt_bsb00011752,00093.html?
      prozent=1

      .
      > > I'm trying to come up with a period style hat for a gentlewoman
      > > living in the Pale during the 16th century.
      > > Thanks for your help,
      > > Sandy / Fionnghuala

    • Leah Lloyd
      Message 2 of 19 , May 1, 2008
        That image has always amused me - if I can be a 12-year-old again, have you noticed the two men warming their tushies by a fire?

        Danabren

        .

        Message 3 of 19 , May 1, 2008
          --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "fionnghualaingheanuilliam"
          <fionnghualaingheanuilliam@...> wrote:

          > Thanks so much for the links. The last one looks like that
          depicted
          > by John Derricke. Since I don't speak German, do you know if a
          time
          > frame is mentioned for the last picture?

          It says something like "circa 1600, men's and women's clothing in
          Ireland" and then the number "43r" stands for "43 recto" which is
          antiquarian talk for "right side of folio 43". I don't know why they
          can's just say "page 86".

          I'm just not completely sure if it translates as "1600" or 16th
          century, which is 100 years earlier

          Rashid

          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I just ran across these artworks from a German "trachtenbuch"
          > (fashion
          > > book) today:
          > >

          > > http://mdzx.bib-bvb.de/codicon/Blatt_bsb00011752,00093.html?
          > prozent=1
          > >
          > > I think they are only just recently webbed, and this particular
          > manuscript
          > > had not been published.
          > >
          > > Katherine
          > .
          > > > I'm trying to come up with a period style hat for a gentlewoman
          > > > living in the Pale during the 16th century.
          > > > Thanks for your help,
          > > > Sandy / Fionnghuala

        • Ingrid G. Storrø
          Message 4 of 19 , May 1, 2008
            On Thu, 1 May 2008, unclrashid wrote:
            > It says something like "circa 1600, men's and women's clothing in
            > Ireland" and then the number "43r" stands for "43 recto" which is
            > antiquarian talk for "right side of folio 43". I don't know why they
            > can's just say "page 86".
            >
            > I'm just not completely sure if it translates as "1600" or 16th
            > century, which is 100 years earlier

            *hops out from lurking* If you mean the "4. Viertel 16. Jh." bit, that's
            4th quarter of the 16th century, i.e. 1575-1600.

            *back to lurking*

            Ingrid

            --
            This email has been scanned for viruses & spam by Domenebutikken - www.domenebutikken.no