Re: The Tudors

    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 29, 2008
      I thihnk it looks very much like the one in the actual portrait of
      Henry VIII. You'll note that the rest of the TV outfit looks
      nothing like the painting.

      Rashid

      --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "CStilwell" <cstilwell@...>

      http://image.wetpaint.com/image/1/SXCQ29F_I4gz7aD54EragQ18766/GW279H22
      > 2
      > > >
      > > > The use of the feathers like this is probably an extrapolation
      > of one of
      > > > the multiple depictions of Henry (and Edward VI) with this
      sort
      > of
      > > feather
      > > > arrangement:
      > > >

      > http://www.artchive.com/artchive/h/holbein/holbein_henry_viii.jpg

    • fionnghualaingheanuilliam
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 29, 2008
        I also thought that was what they were talking about, except that
        they say men wore them as well and in all the art work I've seen I
        haven't seen a man in one of the "cheese mold" (rolls of linen) hats.
        I'm trying to come up with a period style hat for a gentlewoman
        living in the Pale during the 16th century.
        Thanks for your help,
        Sandy / Fionnghuala

        "PREN WILCOX" <archerpren@...> wrote:
        a hat that is made of rolls of linen. like how you make a jelly roll.
        heres the info i came across not sure if this is the type of hat you
        were thinking of or not. http://tinyurl.com/592vfz

      • wheezul@canby.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 29, 2008
          Hi,

          I just ran across these artworks from a German "trachtenbuch" (fashion
          book) today:

          http://mdzx.bib-bvb.de/codicon/Blatt_bsb00011752,41v.html
          http://mdzx.bib-bvb.de/codicon/Blatt_bsb00011752,00091.html?prozent=1
          http://mdzx.bib-bvb.de/codicon/Blatt_bsb00011752,00092.html?prozent=1
          http://mdzx.bib-bvb.de/codicon/Blatt_bsb00011752,00093.html?prozent=1

          I think they are only just recently webbed, and this particular manuscript
          had not been published.

          Katherine

          > I also thought that was what they were talking about, except that
          > they say men wore them as well and in all the art work I've seen I
          > haven't seen a man in one of the "cheese mold" (rolls of linen) hats.
          > I'm trying to come up with a period style hat for a gentlewoman
          > living in the Pale during the 16th century.
          > Thanks for your help,
          > Sandy / Fionnghuala
        • CStilwell
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 30, 2008
            I had hoped the showtime site would have these episodes availble to view
            but if you saw the epsiode the camera angles show it off really well. It
            really reminded me of the hat the black guy in the first Superman movie
            when Clark Kent turns into Superman for the first time and the guy says
            " Hey dude,That's a ba-a-d outfit!" It's the hat he's wearing without a
            feathered brim....

            ER

            wrote:

            > Rachid
            >
            > Have you seen anything like this or similar?

            http://image.wetpaint.com/image/1/SXCQ29F_I4gz7aD54EragQ18766/GW279H22
            > 2
            > > >
            > > > The use of the feathers like this is probably an extrapolation
            > of one of
            > > > the multiple depictions of Henry (and Edward VI) with this
            sort
            > of
            > > feather
            > > > arrangement:
            > > >

            > http://www.artchive.com/artchive/h/holbein/holbein_henry_viii.jpg

            Checked by AVG.
            1:29 PM

          • fionnghualaingheanuilliam
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 30, 2008
              Thanks so much for the links. The last one looks like that depicted
              by John Derricke. Since I don't speak German, do you know if a time
              frame is mentioned for the last picture?
              I also did a search on John Derricke and happened on the woodcut that
              I initially mentioned
              http://www.kimiko1.com/dressdiaries/irishbard/party.html
              The woman seated at the table has what has been described as a "halo
              brimmed" hat. Any ideas on how it was made?
              Sandy

              .
              > > I'm trying to come up with a period style hat for a gentlewoman
              > > living in the Pale during the 16th century.
              > > Thanks for your help,
              > > Sandy / Fionnghuala

            • Leah Lloyd
              Message 6 of 19 , May 1, 2008
                That image has always amused me - if I can be a 12-year-old again, have you noticed the two men warming their tushies by a fire?

                Danabren

                .

                Message 7 of 19 , May 1, 2008
                  --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "fionnghualaingheanuilliam"
                  <fionnghualaingheanuilliam@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks so much for the links. The last one looks like that
                  depicted
                  > by John Derricke. Since I don't speak German, do you know if a
                  time
                  > frame is mentioned for the last picture?

                  It says something like "circa 1600, men's and women's clothing in
                  Ireland" and then the number "43r" stands for "43 recto" which is
                  antiquarian talk for "right side of folio 43". I don't know why they
                  can's just say "page 86".

                  I'm just not completely sure if it translates as "1600" or 16th
                  century, which is 100 years earlier

                  Rashid

                  > > Hi,
                  > >
                  > > I just ran across these artworks from a German "trachtenbuch"
                  > (fashion
                  > > book) today:
                  > >

                  > > http://mdzx.bib-bvb.de/codicon/Blatt_bsb00011752,00093.html?
                  > prozent=1
                  > >
                  > > I think they are only just recently webbed, and this particular
                  > manuscript
                  > > had not been published.
                  > >
                  > > Katherine
                  > .
                  > > > I'm trying to come up with a period style hat for a gentlewoman
                  > > > living in the Pale during the 16th century.
                  > > > Thanks for your help,
                  > > > Sandy / Fionnghuala

                • Ingrid G. Storrø
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 1, 2008
                    On Thu, 1 May 2008, unclrashid wrote:
                    > It says something like "circa 1600, men's and women's clothing in
                    > Ireland" and then the number "43r" stands for "43 recto" which is
                    > antiquarian talk for "right side of folio 43". I don't know why they
                    > can's just say "page 86".
                    >
                    > I'm just not completely sure if it translates as "1600" or 16th
                    > century, which is 100 years earlier

                    *hops out from lurking* If you mean the "4. Viertel 16. Jh." bit, that's
                    4th quarter of the 16th century, i.e. 1575-1600.

                    *back to lurking*

                    Ingrid

                    --
                    This email has been scanned for viruses & spam by Domenebutikken - www.domenebutikken.no