RE: [SCA-Milliners] Re: The Tudors

  • CStilwell
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 29, 2008
      Rachid

      Have you seen anything like this or similar?

      ER

      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 29, 2008
        I thihnk it looks very much like the one in the actual portrait of
        Henry VIII. You'll note that the rest of the TV outfit looks
        nothing like the painting.

        wrote:

        > Rachid
        >
        > Have you seen anything like this or similar?

        http://image.wetpaint.com/image/1/SXCQ29F_I4gz7aD54EragQ18766/GW279H22
        > 2
        > > >
        > > > The use of the feathers like this is probably an extrapolation
        > of one of
        > > > the multiple depictions of Henry (and Edward VI) with this
        sort
        > of
        > > feather
        > > > arrangement:
        > > >

        > http://www.artchive.com/artchive/h/holbein/holbein_henry_viii.jpg

      • fionnghualaingheanuilliam
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 29, 2008
          I also thought that was what they were talking about, except that
          they say men wore them as well and in all the art work I've seen I
          haven't seen a man in one of the "cheese mold" (rolls of linen) hats.
          I'm trying to come up with a period style hat for a gentlewoman
          living in the Pale during the 16th century.
          Thanks for your help,
          Sandy / Fionnghuala

          "PREN WILCOX" <archerpren@...> wrote:
          a hat that is made of rolls of linen. like how you make a jelly roll.
          heres the info i came across not sure if this is the type of hat you
          were thinking of or not. http://tinyurl.com/592vfz

        • wheezul@canby.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 29, 2008
            Hi,

            I just ran across these artworks from a German "trachtenbuch" (fashion
            book) today:

            http://mdzx.bib-bvb.de/codicon/Blatt_bsb00011752,41v.html
            http://mdzx.bib-bvb.de/codicon/Blatt_bsb00011752,00091.html?prozent=1
            http://mdzx.bib-bvb.de/codicon/Blatt_bsb00011752,00092.html?prozent=1
            http://mdzx.bib-bvb.de/codicon/Blatt_bsb00011752,00093.html?prozent=1

            I think they are only just recently webbed, and this particular manuscript
            had not been published.

            Katherine

            > I also thought that was what they were talking about, except that
            > they say men wore them as well and in all the art work I've seen I
            > haven't seen a man in one of the "cheese mold" (rolls of linen) hats.
            > I'm trying to come up with a period style hat for a gentlewoman
            > living in the Pale during the 16th century.
            > Thanks for your help,
            > Sandy / Fionnghuala
          • CStilwell
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 30, 2008
              I had hoped the showtime site would have these episodes availble to view
              but if you saw the epsiode the camera angles show it off really well. It
              really reminded me of the hat the black guy in the first Superman movie
              when Clark Kent turns into Superman for the first time and the guy says
              " Hey dude,That's a ba-a-d outfit!" It's the hat he's wearing without a
              feathered brim....

              ER

              wrote:

              > Rachid
              >
              > Have you seen anything like this or similar?

              http://image.wetpaint.com/image/1/SXCQ29F_I4gz7aD54EragQ18766/GW279H22
              > 2
              > > >
              > > > The use of the feathers like this is probably an extrapolation
              > of one of
              > > > the multiple depictions of Henry (and Edward VI) with this
              sort
              > of
              > > feather
              > > > arrangement:
              > > >

              > http://www.artchive.com/artchive/h/holbein/holbein_henry_viii.jpg

              Checked by AVG.
              1:29 PM

            • fionnghualaingheanuilliam
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 30, 2008
                Thanks so much for the links. The last one looks like that depicted
                by John Derricke. Since I don't speak German, do you know if a time
                frame is mentioned for the last picture?
                I also did a search on John Derricke and happened on the woodcut that
                I initially mentioned
                http://www.kimiko1.com/dressdiaries/irishbard/party.html
                The woman seated at the table has what has been described as a "halo
                brimmed" hat. Any ideas on how it was made?
                Sandy

                .
                > > I'm trying to come up with a period style hat for a gentlewoman
                > > living in the Pale during the 16th century.
                > > Thanks for your help,
                > > Sandy / Fionnghuala

              • Leah Lloyd
                Message 7 of 19 , May 1, 2008
                  That image has always amused me - if I can be a 12-year-old again, have you noticed the two men warming their tushies by a fire?

                  Danabren

                  .

                  Message 8 of 19 , May 1, 2008
                    --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "fionnghualaingheanuilliam"
                    <fionnghualaingheanuilliam@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks so much for the links. The last one looks like that
                    depicted
                    > by John Derricke. Since I don't speak German, do you know if a
                    time
                    > frame is mentioned for the last picture?

                    It says something like "circa 1600, men's and women's clothing in
                    Ireland" and then the number "43r" stands for "43 recto" which is
                    antiquarian talk for "right side of folio 43". I don't know why they
                    can's just say "page 86".

                    I'm just not completely sure if it translates as "1600" or 16th
                    century, which is 100 years earlier

                    Rashid

                    > > Hi,
                    > >
                    > > I just ran across these artworks from a German "trachtenbuch"
                    > (fashion
                    > > book) today:
                    > >

                    > > http://mdzx.bib-bvb.de/codicon/Blatt_bsb00011752,00093.html?
                    > prozent=1
                    > >
                    > > I think they are only just recently webbed, and this particular
                    > manuscript
                    > > had not been published.
                    > >
                    > > Katherine
                    > .
                    > > > I'm trying to come up with a period style hat for a gentlewoman
                    > > > living in the Pale during the 16th century.
                    > > > Thanks for your help,
                    > > > Sandy / Fionnghuala

                  • Ingrid G. Storrø
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 1, 2008
                      On Thu, 1 May 2008, unclrashid wrote:
                      > It says something like "circa 1600, men's and women's clothing in
                      > Ireland" and then the number "43r" stands for "43 recto" which is
                      > antiquarian talk for "right side of folio 43". I don't know why they
                      > can's just say "page 86".
                      >
                      > I'm just not completely sure if it translates as "1600" or 16th
                      > century, which is 100 years earlier

                      *hops out from lurking* If you mean the "4. Viertel 16. Jh." bit, that's
                      4th quarter of the 16th century, i.e. 1575-1600.

                      *back to lurking*

                      Ingrid

                      --
                      This email has been scanned for viruses & spam by Domenebutikken - www.domenebutikken.no