halo-brimmed hat

  • fionnghualaingheanuilliam
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 21, 2008
      In the book Dress in Ireland it is mentioned that Irish men and women
      wore "halo brimmed" hats. The women wore a caul underneath. The
      picture shown looks like a straw hat with a short, rounded crown and a
      large brim.
      Does anyone know if it was a straw hat or were they made in other
      ways?

      Thanks for your help,

      Sandy
    • PREN WILCOX
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 26, 2008
        i just read up a bunch on irish hats and what ive found is a hat that
        is made of rolls of linen. like how you make a jelly roll. heres the
        info i came across not sure if this is the type of hat you were
        thinking of or not. http://tinyurl.com/592vfz
        rosalie from lyondemere

        --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "fionnghualaingheanuilliam"
        <fionnghualaingheanuilliam@...> wrote:

        > In the book Dress in Ireland it is mentioned that Irish men and women
        > wore "halo brimmed" hats. The women wore a caul underneath. The
        > picture shown looks like a straw hat with a short, rounded crown and a
        > large brim.
        > Does anyone know if it was a straw hat or were they made in other
        > ways?
        >
        > Thanks for your help,
        >
        > Sandy

      • CStilwell
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 26, 2008
          Question,

          I was watching the Showtime series The Tudors.
          In one episode Johnathon Rhys-Meyers is wearing a hat trimmed in feathers
          but I have never seen a portrait or read it anywhere.
          (If you go to Showtimes The Tudors website then click on dream cast for
          Henry the VIII he is wearing it)
          Is that just show or did men wear that style hat in Tudor period? Can
          anyone fill me in?

          Thanks

          ER

          Checked by AVG.
          6:32 PM

          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 28, 2008
            I went to this link:

            http://www.sho.com/site/tudors/home.do

            but I can't find anything that says "dream cast".

            Based on what I see of the costumes (medium level of authenticity,
            seem to be using the whole century for inspiration rather than
            sticking to the appropriate decade) I wouldn't expect the hat to be
            precisely correct.

            Rashid

            --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "CStilwell" <cstilwell@...>
            wrote:

            > Question,
            >
            > I was watching the Showtime series The Tudors.
            > In one episode Johnathon Rhys-Meyers is wearing a hat trimmed in
            feathers
            > but I have never seen a portrait or read it anywhere.
            > (If you go to Showtimes The Tudors website then click on dream cast
            for
            > Henry the VIII he is wearing it)
            > Is that just show or did men wear that style hat in Tudor period?
            Can
            > anyone fill me in?
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > ER

            > Checked by AVG.
            4/24/2008

          • wheezul@canby.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 28, 2008
              I think ER might mean this one:

              http://image.wetpaint.com/image/1/SXCQ29F_I4gz7aD54EragQ18766/GW279H222

              The use of the feathers like this is probably an extrapolation of one of
              the multiple depictions of Henry (and Edward VI) with this sort of feather
              arrangement:

              http://www.artchive.com/artchive/h/holbein/holbein_henry_viii.jpg

              Katherine

              > I went to this link:
              >
              > http://www.sho.com/site/tudors/home.do
              >
              > but I can't find anything that says "dream cast".
              >
              > Based on what I see of the costumes (medium level of authenticity,
              > seem to be using the whole century for inspiration rather than
              > sticking to the appropriate decade) I wouldn't expect the hat to be
              > precisely correct.
              >
              > Rashid
              >

              > --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "CStilwell" <cstilwell@...>
              > wrote:
              >>
              >> Question,
              >>
              >> (If you go to Showtimes The Tudors website then click on dream cast
              > for
              >> Henry the VIII he is wearing it)
              >> Is that just show or did men wear that style hat in Tudor period?
              > Can
              >> anyone fill me in?
              >> ER

            • Anetika Roller
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 28, 2008
                I think Wheezul may be right. I must add that I watched the whole "The
                Tudors" series when it first came out. I was horrified at the bad
                costuming, and re-writing of certain historical facts. I would not recomend
                using Hollywood for examples of what anything should look like. Stick to
                period sources, namely paintings that are documentable.

                YIS,
                Constance

                --
                "I am my father's daughter, and I am not afraid of anything"

                -Queens Elizabeth I and II

              • CStilwell
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 28, 2008
                  TTHATS IT!...
                  Absolutely correct about documentation though... I had not seen anything
                  like this and thought maybe the costumers on the show knew someting I did
                  not.
                  Although I have to admit when I saw that scene I thought he was Tudor
                  pimpin'

                  --
                  "I am my father's daughter, and I am not afraid of anything"

                  -Queens Elizabeth I and II

                  Checked by AVG.
                  1:29 PM

                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 28, 2008
                    It looks to me like the hat is the most authentic article of clothing
                    in the picture.

                    wrote:

                    > TTHATS IT!...
                    > Absolutely correct about documentation though... I had not seen
                    anything
                    > like this and thought maybe the costumers on the show knew someting
                    I did
                    > not.
                    > Although I have to admit when I saw that scene I thought he was
                    Tudor
                    > pimpin'

                    4/28/2008
                    > 1:29 PM

                  • PREN WILCOX
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 29, 2008
                      aaaaahahahaha. "tudor pimpin'" that should be on a shirt or something.
                      :0D rosalie
                    • CStilwell
                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 29, 2008
                        Rachid

                        Have you seen anything like this or similar?

                        ER

                        wrote:

                        > TTHATS IT!...
                        > Absolutely correct about documentation though... I had not seen
                        anything
                        > like this and thought maybe the costumers on the show knew someting
                        I did
                        > not.
                        > Although I have to admit when I saw that scene I thought he was
                        Tudor
                        > pimpin'

                        4/28/2008
                        > 1:29 PM

                        Checked by AVG.
                        1:29 PM

                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 29, 2008
                          I thihnk it looks very much like the one in the actual portrait of
                          Henry VIII. You'll note that the rest of the TV outfit looks
                          nothing like the painting.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 29, 2008
                            I also thought that was what they were talking about, except that
                            they say men wore them as well and in all the art work I've seen I
                            haven't seen a man in one of the "cheese mold" (rolls of linen) hats.
                            I'm trying to come up with a period style hat for a gentlewoman
                            living in the Pale during the 16th century.
                            Thanks for your help,
                            Sandy / Fionnghuala

                          • wheezul@canby.com
                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 29, 2008
                              Hi,

                              I just ran across these artworks from a German "trachtenbuch" (fashion
                              book) today:

                              http://mdzx.bib-bvb.de/codicon/Blatt_bsb00011752,41v.html
                              http://mdzx.bib-bvb.de/codicon/Blatt_bsb00011752,00091.html?prozent=1
                              http://mdzx.bib-bvb.de/codicon/Blatt_bsb00011752,00092.html?prozent=1
                              http://mdzx.bib-bvb.de/codicon/Blatt_bsb00011752,00093.html?prozent=1

                              I think they are only just recently webbed, and this particular manuscript
                              had not been published.

                              Katherine

                              > I also thought that was what they were talking about, except that
                              > they say men wore them as well and in all the art work I've seen I
                              > haven't seen a man in one of the "cheese mold" (rolls of linen) hats.
                              > I'm trying to come up with a period style hat for a gentlewoman
                              > living in the Pale during the 16th century.
                              > Thanks for your help,
                              > Sandy / Fionnghuala
                            • CStilwell
                              Message 14 of 19 , Apr 30, 2008
                                I had hoped the showtime site would have these episodes availble to view
                                but if you saw the epsiode the camera angles show it off really well. It
                                really reminded me of the hat the black guy in the first Superman movie
                                when Clark Kent turns into Superman for the first time and the guy says
                                " Hey dude,That's a ba-a-d outfit!" It's the hat he's wearing without a
                                feathered brim....

                                ER

                                Message 15 of 19 , Apr 30, 2008
                                  Thanks so much for the links. The last one looks like that depicted
                                  by John Derricke. Since I don't speak German, do you know if a time
                                  frame is mentioned for the last picture?
                                  I also did a search on John Derricke and happened on the woodcut that
                                  I initially mentioned
                                  http://www.kimiko1.com/dressdiaries/irishbard/party.html
                                  The woman seated at the table has what has been described as a "halo
                                  brimmed" hat. Any ideas on how it was made?
                                  Sandy

                                  .
                                  > > I'm trying to come up with a period style hat for a gentlewoman
                                  > > living in the Pale during the 16th century.
                                  > > Thanks for your help,
                                  > > Sandy / Fionnghuala

                                • Leah Lloyd
                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 1, 2008
                                    That image has always amused me - if I can be a 12-year-old again, have you noticed the two men warming their tushies by a fire?

                                    Danabren

                                    .

                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 1, 2008
                                      --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "fionnghualaingheanuilliam"
                                      <fionnghualaingheanuilliam@...> wrote:

                                      > Thanks so much for the links. The last one looks like that
                                      depicted
                                      > by John Derricke. Since I don't speak German, do you know if a
                                      time
                                      > frame is mentioned for the last picture?

                                      It says something like "circa 1600, men's and women's clothing in
                                      Ireland" and then the number "43r" stands for "43 recto" which is
                                      antiquarian talk for "right side of folio 43". I don't know why they
                                      can's just say "page 86".

                                      I'm just not completely sure if it translates as "1600" or 16th
                                      century, which is 100 years earlier

                                      Rashid

                                      > > Hi,
                                      > >
                                      > > I just ran across these artworks from a German "trachtenbuch"
                                      > (fashion
                                      > > book) today:
                                      > >

                                      > > http://mdzx.bib-bvb.de/codicon/Blatt_bsb00011752,00093.html?
                                      > prozent=1
                                      > >
                                      > > I think they are only just recently webbed, and this particular
                                      > manuscript
                                      > > had not been published.
                                      > >
                                      > > Katherine
                                      > .
                                      > > > I'm trying to come up with a period style hat for a gentlewoman
                                      > > > living in the Pale during the 16th century.
                                      > > > Thanks for your help,
                                      > > > Sandy / Fionnghuala

                                    • Ingrid G. Storrø
                                      Message 18 of 19 , May 1, 2008
                                        On Thu, 1 May 2008, unclrashid wrote:
                                        > It says something like "circa 1600, men's and women's clothing in
                                        > Ireland" and then the number "43r" stands for "43 recto" which is
                                        > antiquarian talk for "right side of folio 43". I don't know why they
                                        > can's just say "page 86".
                                        >
                                        > I'm just not completely sure if it translates as "1600" or 16th
                                        > century, which is 100 years earlier

                                        *hops out from lurking* If you mean the "4. Viertel 16. Jh." bit, that's
                                        4th quarter of the 16th century, i.e. 1575-1600.

                                        *back to lurking*

                                        Ingrid

                                        --
                                        This email has been scanned for viruses & spam by Domenebutikken - www.domenebutikken.no