Floppy Hat

  • Danel Fisher
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 27, 2008
      Greetings to the list from a first time poster. I have been
      exploring norse re-enactment for several months now and I find myself
      stumped with this dilemna.

      Hats.

      I have posted this with several other sca and norse re-enactment
      sites but who better to know than masters of SCA head-gear?

      The only hats that I can find are the 6-8 panel beanie type hats with
      various forms of trim up to and including the fur lined 'rus' hats.
      While these are fine head gear, during the summer I'd prefer
      something with a bit more shade.

      Several references to Odin says he wears a broad brimmed floppy hat
      while in his mortal guise. Is there evidence of such head gear from
      the viking era or is this an anachronism created by those who wrote
      down the sagas centuries later?

      I'd like to wear some sort of floppy/brimmed hat but I'd like more
      evidence than the 'peasant straw hat' worn in many medieval
      illustrations or the popular cavalier style hats of 700 years later.

      I'm not adverse to a bit of digging but I'm stumped and would love
      the input of folks who have much more experience with this period of
      history than I. Is there such a hat or am I stuck?

      Thanks in advance,

      Danel

      PS - A recent reply on another board suggests there is evidence of
      floppy hats prior to the 'viking' era, would anyone have input on
      this as well?
    • greendeva3
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 27, 2008
        Hello, lurker of the board here :)and first time poster. Depending
        upon your history, Vikings had interactions in Byzantium (here's one
        of a few links I have handy--
        http://etext.virginia.edu/journals/EH/EH34/browne34.html ). You may
        find a variety of hat styles during this time
        period:Greek,Roman,Slavic.Hope this is useful.
        YiS,
        Chandra

        --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Danel Fisher" <danel56@...>
        wrote:

        > Greetings to the list from a first time poster. I have been
        > exploring norse re-enactment for several months now and I find
        myself
        > stumped with this dilemna.
        >
        > Hats.
        >
        > I have posted this with several other sca and norse re-enactment
        > sites but who better to know than masters of SCA head-gear?
        >
        > The only hats that I can find are the 6-8 panel beanie type hats
        with
        > various forms of trim up to and including the fur lined 'rus' hats.
        > While these are fine head gear, during the summer I'd prefer
        > something with a bit more shade.
        >
        > Several references to Odin says he wears a broad brimmed floppy hat
        > while in his mortal guise. Is there evidence of such head gear from
        > the viking era or is this an anachronism created by those who wrote
        > down the sagas centuries later?
        >
        > I'd like to wear some sort of floppy/brimmed hat but I'd like more
        > evidence than the 'peasant straw hat' worn in many medieval
        > illustrations or the popular cavalier style hats of 700 years later.
        >
        > I'm not adverse to a bit of digging but I'm stumped and would love
        > the input of folks who have much more experience with this period of
        > history than I. Is there such a hat or am I stuck?
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > Danel
        >
        > PS - A recent reply on another board suggests there is evidence of
        > floppy hats prior to the 'viking' era, would anyone have input on
        > this as well?

      • Yvianne
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 28, 2008
          The first known hat with a brim, the "pestasos", comes from
          ancient Greece. I have seen an image on a vase that shows a man
          wearing one. The earliest brimmed straw hat I have seen
          represented, that isn't pre-period, is 1250
          http://www1.tip.nl/~t401243/mac/mac18rB.jpg

          In the SCA I have seen some pretty authentic minded Viking
          personas wearing straw hats over top of linen coifs in the
          summer. My guess is it's either plausible, period or an
          acceptable way to deal with the all too real pain and danger
          associated with sunburn.

          .... but if you are looking for documentation, this may be a
          possible starting point:

          There is an old post in Steffan's Florilegium by Gunnora (Viking
          answer lady)
          which reads in part:

          "I have a wonderful book on medieval straw-plaiting in Sweden,
          "Skapa med Halm" (of course, the text is Swedish). Folks made
          shoes, hats,
          children's toys, rugs and mats, Jul-bucks (and other holiday
          ornaments),
          courting gifts, and many other items out of straw in period. In
          many
          later period paintings you can see straw items in rural scenes
          showing peasant
          life, and I'd guess that even the upper classes used certain
          straw items as
          well."

          If the "later period paintings she is referring to are the ones
          that begin in 1250, then you may be on to something.

          Best of luck with your research :-)
          and please be sure to let us all know if you find anything more
          definitive.

          Yvianne

          > Greetings to the list from a first time poster. I have been
          > exploring norse re-enactment for several months now and I find
          > myself
          > stumped with this dilemna.
          >
          > Hats.
          >
          > I have posted this with several other sca and norse
          > re-enactment
          > sites but who better to know than masters of SCA head-gear?
          >
          > The only hats that I can find are the 6-8 panel beanie type
          > hats with
          > various forms of trim up to and including the fur lined 'rus'
          > hats.
          > While these are fine head gear, during the summer I'd prefer
          > something with a bit more shade.
          >
          > Several references to Odin says he wears a broad brimmed floppy
          > hat
          > while in his mortal guise. Is there evidence of such head gear
          > from
          > the viking era or is this an anachronism created by those who
          > wrote
          > down the sagas centuries later?
          >
          > I'd like to wear some sort of floppy/brimmed hat but I'd like
          > more
          > evidence than the 'peasant straw hat' worn in many medieval
          > illustrations or the popular cavalier style hats of 700 years
          > later.
          >
          > I'm not adverse to a bit of digging but I'm stumped and would
          > love
          > the input of folks who have much more experience with this
          > period of
          > history than I. Is there such a hat or am I stuck?
          >
          > Thanks in advance,
          >
          > Danel
          >
          > PS - A recent reply on another board suggests there is evidence
          > of
          > floppy hats prior to the 'viking' era, would anyone have input
          > on
          > this as well?

          > http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-MillinersYahoo! Groups
          > Links