Re: [SCA-Milliners] Looking for period source material on circlets

  • Chris Laning
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 10, 2008
      On Feb 28, 2008, at 7:32 AM, Cynthia Virtue wrote:

      > But if you mean naked-metal sort, I don't recall that I've ever seen
      > any. Some crowns survive, but those tended to be the big flashy ones.
      > I presume you've looked at "*Medieval European Jewelery*, by Ronald
      > Lightbown (1992, Victoria & Albert Museum, ISBN 0-9481-0787-1)?" (I
      > haven't yet seen this, having just now found out it was reprinted.)

      It was WHAT??!? When, where?

      My photocopy of the most relevant chapters is getting dog-eared.....

      O Chris Laning <claning@...> - Davis, California
      + http://paternoster-row.org - http://paternosters.blogspot.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 11, 2008
        Chris Laning wrote:
        > On Feb 28, 2008, at 7:32 AM, Cynthia Virtue wrote:
        >

        >> But if you mean naked-metal sort, I don't recall that I've ever seen
        >> any. Some crowns survive, but those tended to be the big flashy ones.
        >> I presume you've looked at "*Medieval European Jewelery*, by Ronald
        >> Lightbown (1992, Victoria & Albert Museum, ISBN 0-9481-0787-1)?" (I
        >> haven't yet seen this, having just now found out it was reprinted.)
        >>

        > It was WHAT??!? When, where?
        Terribly sorry about this -- I was misinformed.

        cv
      • Chris Laning
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 11, 2008
          On Mar 11, 2008, at 3:25 AM, Cynthia Virtue wrote:

          > Chris Laning wrote:
          >> On Feb 28, 2008, at 7:32 AM, Cynthia Virtue wrote:
          >>> "*Medieval European Jewelery*, by Ronald
          >>> Lightbown (1992, Victoria & Albert Museum, ISBN 0-9481-0787-1)?" (I
          >>> haven't yet seen this, having just now found out it was reprinted.)
          >>
          >> It was WHAT??!? When, where?
          >
          > Terribly sorry about this -- I was misinformed.

          Considering used copies now start at about $1,500 -- when you can
          find one at all -- one could make a good case for a reprint,
          technically difficult though it might be. (They'd probably have to
          leave out the color plates.) But so far, no sign of one...... <sigh>
          I knew I should have bought one when it was in print ($200).