Re: [SCA-Milliners] Looking for period source material on circlets

  • Cindy Myers
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2008
      > I have found plenty of visual art that shows circlets of various
      > types, along with other "circlet like" headgear, but I am trying to
      > help document some of the "period-style" circlets I've been making.
      > Any one know of any sources other than paintings?

      Sorry... I'm aware of woven circlets with bezants added, and the silk-
      wrapped wires in _Dress Accessories_ but they're nothing like what
      you picture on your web site.

      I've also found the occasional crown on museum sites, but they're
      usually meant for dressing up statues of Mary in her various roles
      (say, as Queen of Heaven) or for reliquary busts, etc. I have some
      discomfort in using them within the SCA because I could just hear a
      medieval person looking at it, and asking in bewilderment, "How come
      you're dressed like a statue/angel/saint?"

      As far as I know right now, you'll probably have better luck with
      paintings. Surviving objects are wonderful if you get stuck on
      construction methods and details, but so often we have to figure that
      part out on our own with only an image to go on.

      Another way to document what you make (and it's so easy it feels like
      cheating) is to look at medieval images or objects until you find one
      or several that inspire you, and then copy them or the esthetic.

      Sorry I can't be of more help. I hope you find what you're looking for!

      --Emmelyne
    • Chris Laning
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 10, 2008
        On Feb 28, 2008, at 7:32 AM, Cynthia Virtue wrote:

        > But if you mean naked-metal sort, I don't recall that I've ever seen
        > any. Some crowns survive, but those tended to be the big flashy ones.
        > I presume you've looked at "*Medieval European Jewelery*, by Ronald
        > Lightbown (1992, Victoria & Albert Museum, ISBN 0-9481-0787-1)?" (I
        > haven't yet seen this, having just now found out it was reprinted.)

        It was WHAT??!? When, where?

        My photocopy of the most relevant chapters is getting dog-eared.....

        O Chris Laning <claning@...> - Davis, California
        + http://paternoster-row.org - http://paternosters.blogspot.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 11, 2008
          Chris Laning wrote:
          > On Feb 28, 2008, at 7:32 AM, Cynthia Virtue wrote:
          >

          >> But if you mean naked-metal sort, I don't recall that I've ever seen
          >> any. Some crowns survive, but those tended to be the big flashy ones.
          >> I presume you've looked at "*Medieval European Jewelery*, by Ronald
          >> Lightbown (1992, Victoria & Albert Museum, ISBN 0-9481-0787-1)?" (I
          >> haven't yet seen this, having just now found out it was reprinted.)
          >>

          > It was WHAT??!? When, where?
          Terribly sorry about this -- I was misinformed.

          cv
        • Chris Laning
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 11, 2008
            On Mar 11, 2008, at 3:25 AM, Cynthia Virtue wrote:

            > Chris Laning wrote:
            >> On Feb 28, 2008, at 7:32 AM, Cynthia Virtue wrote:
            >>> "*Medieval European Jewelery*, by Ronald
            >>> Lightbown (1992, Victoria & Albert Museum, ISBN 0-9481-0787-1)?" (I
            >>> haven't yet seen this, having just now found out it was reprinted.)
            >>
            >> It was WHAT??!? When, where?
            >
            > Terribly sorry about this -- I was misinformed.

            Considering used copies now start at about $1,500 -- when you can
            find one at all -- one could make a good case for a reprint,
            technically difficult though it might be. (They'd probably have to
            leave out the color plates.) But so far, no sign of one...... <sigh>
            I knew I should have bought one when it was in print ($200).