period hat form

  • Yvianne
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 30, 2008
      I remember when I was little, making hats out of newspaper and
      running around the house pretending I was a pirate.

      I was surfing manuscript pages yesterday and found this
      http://www.hf.uib.no/i/nordisk/handbok/illustrasjonar/Ill_1-7_(bispehatt).jpg

      Now I can't get the image of a small medieval child running
      through the castle playing "Pope" out of my head :-)

      On a more scholarly note.... I've used hide glue as a stiffener
      for hats and thought about using rawhide to make a base that
      could be covered with fabric. It would have been inexpensive in
      period, is lightweight, easy to form when wet but will hold its
      shape when dry because of the glue still retained in the hide
      (You'd have to simmer the hat in hot water to get the glue to
      break down.)

      Up till now I had nothing to go on but speculation. This really
      helps.

      I did a quick search and found several period mitres online
      http://www.bayrose.org/wkneedle/Articles/beadwork.html
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/terriesparis/89172639/
      http://www.bildindex.de/bilder/it00486d01a.jpg

      Now all of the holes I saw in the manuscript hat make even more
      sense.... but I think I'll skip the calligraphy on any hats I
      make :-)

      Hope this helps others as much as it has me

      Yvianne de Castel d'Avignon, OL
      AEthelmearc
    • Susan Griner
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 31, 2008