houppelande hat

  • Samia al-Kaslaania
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 5, 2008
      Can anyone lend thought about the shape of this hat? It's one of the
      Reymerswaele versions.

      http://www.personal.us.es/alporu/Images/sevillahist/banquero_vanreymerswaele.jpg

      Samia
    • borderlands15213
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 7, 2008
        Hers? That's going to be sort of tough with that tall, flared collar
        you're working on... ;->

        Yseult the Gentle

        --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Samia al-Kaslaania <samia@...>
        wrote:

        > Can anyone lend thought about the shape of this hat? It's one of the
        > Reymerswaele versions.

        http://www.personal.us.es/alporu/Images/sevillahist/banquero_vanreymersw
        aele.jpg

        > Samia

      • Samia al-Kaslaania
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 9, 2008
          I'm working on things for the whole household. That collar would be way
          too hot for me to wear. :)

          So you raised your hand, what do you think of this shape?

          Samia

          borderlands15213 wrote:
          > Hers? That's going to be sort of tough with that tall, flared collar
          > you're working on... ;->
          >
          > Yseult the Gentle
          >
          > --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Samia al-Kaslaania <samia@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          >> Can anyone lend thought about the shape of this hat? It's one of the
          >> Reymerswaele versions.
          >>
          > http://www.personal.us.es/alporu/Images/sevillahist/banquero_vanreymersw
          > aele.jpg
          >
          >> Samia
        • borderlands15213
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 10, 2008
            I was teasing you because the collar came up on a different list,
            but of course you know that...
            I'd love to have an excuse to wear that collar, even for
            Hallowe'en. And I do agree with you that it would be hot to wear.

            The shape looks like a slightly elongated football (American.) A
            year or so ago, I started playing with bits of paper and bits of
            muslin to see what I could come up with. So far, nothing definite.
            I just had too little on my mind the day I "raised my hand."
            But it's a too cool hat/headdress, and I know I want to make and
            wear one. (That'll mean a houppelande, though, and unless it's the
            depths of winter around here, I'll be swooning from heat!)

            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 10, 2008
              I think the shape is not merely elongated, but twisted. It reminds me
              of a fat water-buffalo horns. It would be quite complex to make right,
              I think!

              cv
            • Cindy Myers
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 10, 2008
                > I think the shape is not merely elongated, but twisted. It reminds me
                > of a fat water-buffalo horns. It would be quite complex to make
                > right,
                > I think!
                >
                > cv

                This is one of the few hats from this period that I like. Do you
                know when this particular re-painting (of an oft-copied popular
                painting) was done? I don't have the original post anymore, sorry.

                I agree with Cynthia on the shape. I don't think you'll be able to
                achieve it with fabric-over-support because of the curling twist in it.

                My thought was to pull and block felt into the correct shape, like
                the professional hatter on this list describes in her web page (sorry
                again for not having the name.) Properly smoothed and shaped, I
                don't see why it would be much different from a more "traditional"
                shaped pulled-felt hat.

                It's definitely beyond -my- mediocre abilities.

                --Emmelyne
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 10, 2008
                  Cindy Myers wrote:
                  > I agree with Cynthia on the shape. I don't think you'll be able to
                  > achieve it with fabric-over-support because of the curling twist in it.

                  I think it could be done, but it would be complex, with wire and so on,
                  but I suspect that the way it was done at the time was felted, and then
                  covered with fashion fabric. Or maybe not covered, if you had dyed
                  wool.... Hmm.

                  The original picture link is here:
                  http://www.personal.us.es/alporu/Images/sevillahist/banquero_vanreymerswaele.jpg

                  I believe it is the original image, not a re-working. There are some
                  other hats that shape, too.

                  Now a quibble: This probably isn't a houppelande. I use that term for
                  the outrageous upper class garments. This one is more likely the
                  upper-middle class version; rich, but not ridiculous, with narrower
                  sleeves, and probably a floor length hem instead of several feet past
                  the floor. But this is a quibble and I expect some people would call it
                  a houppelande anyway, and that's ok.

                  cv
                • Truly Carmichael
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 10, 2008
                    Hi there -

                    I think you can do pretty much anything with fabric over support - it's the making of the complex support that will be hard. You can make a wire frame in any shape - you just need to know what you are actually making-and that's where I find this sort of shape pretty difficult. Not having side views or back views - you will have to decide what those shapes look like to you, and maybe scribble yourself some designs from those angles.

                    OR - (total non-drawing method) I've actually found that plasticine clay and a GI Joe type action figure are VERY helpful for sculpting the shape to help figure out what the darn things acually might look like.

                    Once that's decided - you need millinery wire, masking tape, tie wire, needle nose pliars, clear fast-drying glue, and a styrofoam head or canvas head block to work from.

                    Then you build the wire form - using this sort of technique: http://www.farthingales.on.ca/elizabethan_wired_ruff.html
                    (I know I know - it's a standing ruff/supportasse thing, not a hat - but it's a really awesome website anyway - and it's got great instructions:) You would want to use more frequent support wires than the ruff shows - to ensure the roundness of the horn shapes - but in general - it's the same idea. If you have or have access to the book - "From the Neck Up" - there's a full description in there of wire form making.

                    After you have a nice supported frame - then you'd cover it with wide horsehair braid or horsehair fabric if you can get it. I've also heard of using tulle (like ballet net) to cover the wires. THEN you can "mull" the covered form with flannel or domette (which isn't called that anymore, I think....but I don't remember what it's called now...argh!) And THEN cover it with your fashion fabric - cut on the bias, of course, so it's all nice and smooth.

                    Felt over a form would definitely work too - but you would need to make the rigid form first - and that might prove harder than the wire unless you are proficient at making plaster molds, or want to carve one out of wood. Then you ask yourself how many of these are you planning tomake : )

                    Milled and wired hats really EAT hours and hours of time. It's why I don't sell my French hoods very often. I have over 12 hours of work in each one, plus materials costs - and not many people want to spend that much on a hat (understandably). The one you are talking about will almost certainly take WAY longer than 12 hours...BUT it'd be SO COOL :)

                    I'd LOVE to see you tackle this - but I'm not volunteering to try it first ; )

                    Eleanor Fairchild/Truly Carmichael
                    www.trulyhats.com

                    Canadian Daytime number: 519-843-2117
                    If no answer at above: 519 787 2399

                    > I agree with Cynthia on the shape. I don't think you'll be able to
                    > achieve it with fabric-over- support because of the curling twist in it.

                    I think it could be done, but it would be complex, with wire and so on,
                    but I suspect that the way it was done at the time was felted, and then
                    covered with fashion fabric. Or maybe not covered, if you had dyed
                    wool.... Hmm.

                    The original picture link is here:
                    http://www.personal .us.es/alporu/ Images/sevillahi st/banquero_ vanreymerswaele. jpg

                    I believe it is the original image, not a re-working. There are some
                    other hats that shape, too.

                    Now a quibble: This probably isn't a houppelande. I use that term for
                    the outrageous upper class garments. This one is more likely the
                    upper-middle class version; rich, but not ridiculous, with narrower
                    sleeves, and probably a floor length hem instead of several feet past
                    the floor. But this is a quibble and I expect some people would call it
                    a houppelande anyway, and that's ok.

                    cv

                  • Leah Lloyd
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 10, 2008
                      I call them "Bathrobe houppes".

                      Danabren

                      Cynthia Virtue <cvirtue@...> wrote:

                      Now a quibble: This probably isn't a houppelande. I use that term for
                      the outrageous upper class garments. This one is more likely the
                      upper-middle class version; rich, but not ridiculous, with narrower
                      sleeves, and probably a floor length hem instead of several feet past
                      the floor. But this is a quibble and I expect some people would call it
                      a houppelande anyway, and that's ok.

                      cv

                      Recent Activity

                      2
                      New Members

                      Visit Your Group
                      Y! Entertainment
                      World of Star Wars
                      Rediscover the force.
                      Explore now.

                      Yahoo! News
                      Odd News
                      You won't believe
                      it, but it's true

                      Weight Loss Group
                      on Yahoo! Groups
                      Get support and
                      make friends online.

                      .

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 10, 2008
                        Truly Carmichael wrote:
                        > Once that's decided - you need millinery wire, masking tape, tie wire, needle nose pliars, clear fast-drying glue, and a styrofoam head or canvas head block to work from.
                        >
                        > Then you build the wire form - using this sort of technique: http://www.farthingales.on.ca/elizabethan_wired_ruff.html

                        What a great site! Wish I'd had some of those techniques when I made my
                        first wireframe hat ( http://www.virtue.to/articles/reticulated.html )

                        Hats, you have to keep fitting to your head as you make them. They look
                        very odd, half-completed in the mirror!

                        cv
                      • borderlands15213
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 10, 2008
                          --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia Virtue <cvirtue@...> wrote:

                          > I think the shape is not merely elongated, but twisted. It reminds me
                          > of a fat water-buffalo horns. It would be quite complex to make right,
                          > I think!
                          >
                          > cv

                          I'm betting it isn't. :-D What I'm expecting to discover is that it
                          is simplicity itself. (Scanned ahead a bit, and noted some commentary
                          about wire and framework and so forth, and I'm betting that it's
                          either non-existant in that headress, or minimal. Well, time and a
                          bit more experimenting will tell.)
                          It *does* look like fat water buffalo horns; I don't disagree with
                          you, there, but I think the shape that's cut out and then sewn and
                          whatever'd into that "horned" headdress is a slightly elongated
                          oblong, and I was referring to the shape of the piece of fabric, and
                          not the finished three-dimensional shape of the hat/headdress.
                          I'd also assumed that the "cut shape" was what Samia was asking
                          about---my bad if I got that part wrong.

                          Yseult the Gentle
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 10, 2008
                            > I'm betting it isn't. :-D What I'm expecting to discover is that it
                            > is simplicity itself. (Scanned ahead a bit, and noted some commentary
                            > about wire and framework and so forth, and I'm betting that it's
                            > either non-existant in that headress, or minimal. Well, time and a
                            > bit more experimenting will tell.)
                            > It *does* look like fat water buffalo horns; I don't disagree with
                            > you, there, but I think the shape that's cut out and then sewn and
                            > whatever'd into that "horned" headdress is a slightly elongated
                            > oblong, and I was referring to the shape of the piece of fabric, and
                            > not the finished three-dimensional shape of the hat/headdress.
                            > I'd also assumed that the "cut shape" was what Samia was asking
                            > about---my bad if I got that part wrong.

                            So are you thinking it is a simple cone, or something like that? A flat
                            shape which when you put it on the head, bows out the right way?

                            Here are two enlargements of the two paintings, which show the pattern
                            embroidered (or whatever) on the horns, and shows the shaping a lot
                            better than the tiny picture:

                            http://www.wga.hu/art/r/reymersw/mchanger.jpg

                            http://www.wga.hu/art/r/reymersw/banker_w.jpg

                            Middle-class men's clothing enthusiasts will enjoy the man's coat
                            shoulder details on the first link, but the second picture is not the
                            same construction.

                            cv
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 10, 2008

                              > http://www.wga.hu/art/r/reymersw/mchanger.jpg
                              >
                              > http://www.wga.hu/art/r/reymersw/banker_w.jpg
                              >
                              > Middle-class men's clothing enthusiasts will enjoy the man's coat
                              > shoulder details on the first link, but the second picture is not the
                              > same construction.

                              Oops. It's the "banker" one with the interesting seam treatment.
                            • borderlands15213
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 10, 2008
                                --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia Virtue <cvirtue@...> wrote:

                                > > I'm betting it isn't. :-D What I'm expecting to discover is that it
                                > > is simplicity itself. (Scanned ahead a bit, and noted some commentary
                                > > about wire and framework and so forth, and I'm betting that it's
                                > > either non-existant in that headress, or minimal. Well, time and a
                                > > bit more experimenting will tell.)
                                > > It *does* look like fat water buffalo horns; I don't disagree with
                                > > you, there, but I think the shape that's cut out and then sewn and
                                > > whatever'd into that "horned" headdress is a slightly elongated
                                > > oblong, and I was referring to the shape of the piece of fabric, and
                                > > not the finished three-dimensional shape of the hat/headdress.
                                > > I'd also assumed that the "cut shape" was what Samia was asking
                                > > about---my bad if I got that part wrong.
                                >
                                > So are you thinking it is a simple cone, or something like that? A
                                flat
                                > shape which when you put it on the head, bows out the right way?

                                Hmm...that doesn't seem to quite fit the bill, and no, I wasn't
                                thinking of that, or not that way, or something.
                                No, I'm not sure what I was or am thinking, just that there are a
                                couple avenues of exploration that are beckoning to me.
                                I had experimented with this hat a bit a year or more ago, and never
                                got back to it.
                                Lately I've had to scramble on other matters, so that hat, which isn't
                                in "my" century, anyway, sort of got pushed to the end of the line of
                                projects.

                                > Here are two enlargements of the two paintings, which show the pattern
                                > embroidered (or whatever) on the horns, and shows the shaping a lot
                                > better than the tiny picture:
                                >
                                > http://www.wga.hu/art/r/reymersw/mchanger.jpg
                                >
                                > http://www.wga.hu/art/r/reymersw/banker_w.jpg

                                Thanks for these; I've seen large prints (well, large enough) of the
                                painting; I believe I may have a print in an old "Medieval Woman"
                                calendar by Workman Publishing.

                                Glad this came up: I'm eager to get back to this...inquiry I'd undertaken!

                                Yseult the Gentle
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 10, 2008
                                  borderlands15213 wrote:

                                  >> So are you thinking it is a simple cone, or something like that? A
                                  >>
                                  > flat
                                  >
                                  >> shape which when you put it on the head, bows out the right way?
                                  >>

                                  > Hmm...that doesn't seem to quite fit the bill, and no, I wasn't
                                  > thinking of that, or not that way, or something.

                                  Oh, good -- I'm glad I asked, because I don't think it would work, but
                                  I wanted to try and understand you!

                                  cv
                                • Samia al-Kaslaania
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 11, 2008
                                    Thank you for the larger images, I find and save my inspirations to my
                                    hard drive and then can't reference others to them when I start doing
                                    the research. Do art historians know which came first? I always assumed
                                    the second one listed because of the "crisper" image.

                                    I was looking at the second image specifically for my inspiration. I see
                                    that shape as having a flat top, but I believe that the hat retains it's
                                    shape when off the head.

                                    The regular pattern on the body of the hat suggests pattern-woven fabric
                                    to me, rather than embroidery.

                                    I have formal training in constructing hat frames, the daunting part is
                                    getting the shape right. Since I would like to have this for 12th night,
                                    I was hoping to use the Cliffs Notes of someone else's research. I
                                    suppose creating the research will be my after-work-settles-down
                                    endeavor. :)

                                    I do think it's interesting that his garment looks to be gathered at the
                                    shoulder on the front body. The sleeve appears to have a cap stiffener,
                                    looking with my bridal gown eye.

                                    Samia

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 11, 2008
                                      wrote:

                                      > > http://www.wga.hu/art/r/reymersw/mchanger.jpg
                                      > >
                                      > > http://www.wga.hu/art/r/reymersw/banker_w.jpg
                                      > >
                                      > > Middle-class men's clothing enthusiasts will enjoy the man's coat
                                      > > shoulder details on the first link, but the second picture is not
                                      the
                                      > > same construction.

                                      Now that I see these, I'm thinking it's not as complex as I was
                                      thinking at first. It looks like you could get very close to this
                                      shape by taking two flat pieces of felt or boiled wool shaped like
                                      the outline of this hat (a circle with two "horns"), cutting a head-
                                      opening in one, sewing them together and adding a little stuffing to
                                      the horns. The rest of the curve would occur when you put it on your
                                      head and the fabric is shaped by the head.

                                      It might even be possible to get a similar shape by connecting your
                                      two pieces on a fold line.

                                      I'm not as keen on the wired foundation because I've found that I
                                      always get a bit of the "zeppelin effect" with them, no matter how
                                      much padding I use. (by zeppelin effect, I mean the wire frame shows
                                      through, sort of cutting what should be a smooth curve into flat
                                      segments.

                                      Rashid
                                    • Truly Carmichael
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 11, 2008
                                        Samia said:

                                        >I have formal training in constructing hat frames, the daunting part is
                                        getting the shape right.

                                        Indeed :)

                                        Where did you train? Tell, tell!

                                        Truly Carmichael