Re: [SCA-Milliners] Barbettes

  • Renee
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 2, 2007
      I haven't been playing much recently, but I did cut
      mine on the bias and found it comfy enough. I cut and
      sewed mine as a wide tube, turned it inside out and
      then handfinished the ends (kind of like wide bias
      tape, I guess). I then put it under my chin and pinned
      it at the top of my head.

      It was the wimple that drove me batty.

      Renee

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 2, 2007
        Cindy Myers wrote:
        > Since then I've been wondering if I should have cut the chin band on
        > the bias, to allow for a close fit -and- easy movement. How do
        > others cut theirs?

        I have mine on the straight grain, and have worn them this way for
        years. They are tubes of linen in a slightly thick weave (perhaps table
        napkin weight; less than cotton denim) turned inside out. I pin it
        firmly but not tightly to the forehead band.

        It does muffle my hearing very slightly, but nothing compared to cauls!

        If I wear a wimple, I pin that to the chin band, and then put the veil
        on over everything in the usual manner.

        (If people haven't seen my photo essay about wearing veils, you might
        find it useful: http://www.virtue.to/articles/veils.html -- lots of
        medieval and modern pictures.)

        cv
      • Masters, Cheryl L FC
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 5, 2007
          Very good points. So, what I don't know, I know where to ask.

          Thank you all for your replies. Good thing I have a different piece
          on the loom. Gives me time to think. And you all have given me things to
          think about. Ta.

          Sile
        • Masters, Cheryl L FC
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 5, 2007
            I love my wimple. It is so snug and comfy. But I haven't worn a
            barbette with it. My wimple is a bit of a tube from around the face to the
            top most place on the crown and a loose circle from there. I have lacings
            from the center front down the midline of the back of the head that I love
            the look of when it barely shows through the veil. Probably not period. But
            I thought it looked so cool on that lovely blonde lady in a Brother Cadfile
            episode that I had to have mine that way.

            Ok, I went Hollywood.

            Sile
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 5, 2007
              Masters, Cheryl L FC wrote:

              > Ok, I went Hollywood.

              I'm kind of a hat fanatic, but I think going for a Hollywood style veil
              is OK. Just putting one on in the first place is so many kinds of good,
              I'm not the sort to quibble about the sources!

              cv
            • Suvituuli Sihvola
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 16, 2007
                Hi!

                Sorry to reply so late, i´ve been quite busy organizing an event... ;)

                The first ones I made were rather thick linen, tubelike and muffled my hearing _a lot_. After little experimenting I made one with very thin linen, straight cut and narrow turn around the edges. I even shaped the band a little, it´s quite wide at ears and narrows under the chin. The front edge is straight, though. I´ve found this very confy, (althought I normally can´t stand anything close to my neck - no chance of wearing chokers ;) ) and it doesn´t muflle my hearing at all.

                Eilgri