Re: [SCA-Milliners] Barbettes

  • Cindy Myers
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 2 2:49 PM
      Tablet woven bands tend to be stiffer than a single layer of fine
      linen fabric. Do you think this would affect the comfort of a band
      that goes over the head and under the chin like that?

      Personally, I'm doubtful about the chin part being tablet woven when
      linen scraps were abundant in period. (Maybe not abundant for YOU as
      a modern person... but should our modern challenges be used to
      explain what a medieval person -might- have done? I'm not convinced
      with the logic there.) On the other hand, there IS evidence for
      tablet weaving the band around the head, at least in the 14th
      century. Second, there's not much evidence for plain, white, tablet
      weaving with no pattern at all. The width you mention is also rare,
      although not unheard of. All I can say is I'm not convinced - but
      what you do is your own choice! :)

      Related question:

      This isn't a style I normally wear, and the last time I remember
      trying it was a good 6 years ago so I don't have much experience here.

      I probably made mine too tight, because I found my hearing muffled,
      and it was awkward to eat or talk! Not impossible though - it wasn't
      THAT snug, but I didn't want it hanging loose under my chin either. ;)

      Since then I've been wondering if I should have cut the chin band on
      the bias, to allow for a close fit -and- easy movement. How do
      others cut theirs?

      Curious...

      --Emmelyne

      > I'll be doing this project in a soft creamy linen. It is not exactly
      > white if I recall and will be about an inch and a half wide. Don't
      > know if I
      > have enough cards for 2 inches in Linen although I did just buy a
      > new set.
      > If I can get 2 inches on this new lap top loom I bought last
      > weekend it will
      > allow for the little pleat you see about ear hole high on some of the
      > illuminations.
      >
      > Sile
      >

      >> Cool. What sort of thread/fiber do you use? And how wide? My
      >> (sewn) bands are 1" wide for the head and 2" wide for the
      >> barbette, because I have a fat chin. ;)
      >>
      >> cv
    • Renee
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 2 4:50 PM
        I haven't been playing much recently, but I did cut
        mine on the bias and found it comfy enough. I cut and
        sewed mine as a wide tube, turned it inside out and
        then handfinished the ends (kind of like wide bias
        tape, I guess). I then put it under my chin and pinned
        it at the top of my head.

        It was the wimple that drove me batty.

        Renee

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 2 5:29 PM
          Cindy Myers wrote:
          > Since then I've been wondering if I should have cut the chin band on
          > the bias, to allow for a close fit -and- easy movement. How do
          > others cut theirs?

          I have mine on the straight grain, and have worn them this way for
          years. They are tubes of linen in a slightly thick weave (perhaps table
          napkin weight; less than cotton denim) turned inside out. I pin it
          firmly but not tightly to the forehead band.

          It does muffle my hearing very slightly, but nothing compared to cauls!

          If I wear a wimple, I pin that to the chin band, and then put the veil
          on over everything in the usual manner.

          (If people haven't seen my photo essay about wearing veils, you might
          find it useful: http://www.virtue.to/articles/veils.html -- lots of
          medieval and modern pictures.)

          cv
        • Masters, Cheryl L FC
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 5 4:38 AM
            Very good points. So, what I don't know, I know where to ask.

            Thank you all for your replies. Good thing I have a different piece
            on the loom. Gives me time to think. And you all have given me things to
            think about. Ta.

            Sile
          • Masters, Cheryl L FC
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 5 5:00 AM
              I love my wimple. It is so snug and comfy. But I haven't worn a
              barbette with it. My wimple is a bit of a tube from around the face to the
              top most place on the crown and a loose circle from there. I have lacings
              from the center front down the midline of the back of the head that I love
              the look of when it barely shows through the veil. Probably not period. But
              I thought it looked so cool on that lovely blonde lady in a Brother Cadfile
              episode that I had to have mine that way.

              Ok, I went Hollywood.

              Sile
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 5 5:14 AM
                Masters, Cheryl L FC wrote:

                > Ok, I went Hollywood.

                I'm kind of a hat fanatic, but I think going for a Hollywood style veil
                is OK. Just putting one on in the first place is so many kinds of good,
                I'm not the sort to quibble about the sources!

                cv
              • Suvituuli Sihvola
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 16 12:26 AM
                  Hi!

                  Sorry to reply so late, i´ve been quite busy organizing an event... ;)

                  The first ones I made were rather thick linen, tubelike and muffled my hearing _a lot_. After little experimenting I made one with very thin linen, straight cut and narrow turn around the edges. I even shaped the band a little, it´s quite wide at ears and narrows under the chin. The front edge is straight, though. I´ve found this very confy, (althought I normally can´t stand anything close to my neck - no chance of wearing chokers ;) ) and it doesn´t muflle my hearing at all.

                  Eilgri