Re: Elizabethan coifs

  • Madeleine Delacroix
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 27, 2007
      Ok, a month later..I made the coif, but I look like a little dutch
      girl..I enlarged it to fit my head(I have the same problem as you
      with the printer), how do you get that nice rounded back..?? this
      weekend we had an event, none of the ladies looked like this..any
      suggestions??

      Heather/Margaret <margaret.northwode@...> wrote:
      > Drea Leed's Elizabethan Costuming website has one that's
      downloadable as
      > a .gif. I find that when I print it, my printer, which doesn't
      print all
      > the way to the edge, will reduce it slightly to fit it all on the
      page,
      > so do make a mock-up. You'll want to do that anyway to find a
      front
      > shape that's attractive with your facial features/shape.
      >
      > The URL for that section of her website is
      > http://www.elizabethancostume.net/headwear/coifmake.html
      >
      > Enjoy!
      > Margaret Northwode, maker and owner of a few coifs herself

    • Heather/Margaret
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 27, 2007
        Madeleine Delacroix wrote:
        > Ok, a month later..I made the coif, but I look like a little dutch
        > girl..I enlarged it to fit my head(I have the same problem as you
        > with the printer), how do you get that nice rounded back..?? this
        > weekend we had an event, none of the ladies looked like this..any
        > suggestions??

        This is where the making a mockup is helpful, because now you'll play
        with it, and mark it all to snot to determine what changes you'll need
        to make to your pattern to tweak it for your own noggin. You'll need to
        play with that belly button of a peak, as well as perhaps pinning the
        back and marking it so that it's closer to the profile of the back of
        your head with your hair up. That'll help to eliminate some of the
        extra, though frankly you *do* want a little bit to bunch up nicely in
        the back. I don't recall - did I mention the coif-*wearing* article at
        www.extremecostuming.com? I use this method, and let me tell you IT
        WORKS. I've literally had a canvas tent fall across the top of my head,
        and the only thing I needed to adhust after that was to flip the front
        peak back so it pointed forward. The coif never moved.

        Margaret Northwode
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 30, 2007
          --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Madeleine Delacroix"
          <madeleinedelacroix@...> wrote:

          > Ok, a month later..I made the coif, but I look like a little dutch
          > girl..I enlarged it to fit my head(I have the same problem as you
          > with the printer), how do you get that nice rounded back..?? this
          > weekend we had an event, none of the ladies looked like this..any
          > suggestions??

          You can add some pleats to the back by using some heavy thread and
          adding a running stitch from the back point for an 2 or 3 inches along
          the center of the top. Draw up and secure the running stitch a dn the
          pleats will conform (somewhat) to the top of your head.