Re: Polish headdress

  • panimagdalena56
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 27, 2007
      >I have posted a few pictures I found in my books. It's in my photo
      album for anyone who would like to take a look.

      > Magdalena, have you signed on to the SIG yahoo group (Slavic
      Interest Group)?
      Yes. I have been a member for a few years. I am focusing on women's
      clothing. There is a good focus on men's and the Hussar clothing but
      little on women's. I've done letnik (a Polish dress) instructions
      too.

      I read a bit of Polish myself with the help of a dictionary and my
      friend Aleksandra. I translate first and she helps over the idioms
      etc.

      > It seems like there is a lot of stuff heading out of Eastern Europe
      these
      > days.

      You make a very valid point. More and more info is coming out
      everyday but I want it NOW! ;-)

      I have contacted a couple museums and have actually gotten responses.
      I thought this resembled German headdresses I've seen and hoped I
      might find some German information on this list.

      Thank you all for your info! This is so exciting to me! Will anyone
      be at East Kingdom Coronation this weekend?

      YIS
      Magdalena
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 27, 2007
        wheezul@... wrote:
        > Hi Magdalena,
        >
        > It looks similar to this 16th century headdress of Anna Jagellon, now
        > housed in Prague. I'd also guess that the artwork you are showing is or
        > is taken from a 16th century model because of the heavy chain. This
        > reached its peak of popularity between 1520 and 1530, Here's a picture
        > of the cap:
        >
        > http://www.blen.net/fotos/g000007.jpg

        How wonderful this cap still exists! It does look like the sort in the
        engraving.

        cv
      • Leah Lloyd
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 27, 2007
          Pani, have you poked around on the German Ren list? They're nothing if not informative *phew* and I agree that this looks awfully German in construction, they'd likely be able to give you good direction.

          See you Saturday!
          ;)

          Danabren

          I have contacted a couple museums and have actually gotten responses.
          I thought this resembled German headdresses I've seen and hoped I
          might find some German information on this list.

          Thank you all for your info! This is so exciting to me! Will anyone
          be at East Kingdom Coronation this weekend?

          YIS
          Magdalena

          Recent Activity

          2
          New Members

          8
          New Photos

          Visit Your Group
          Yahoo! News
          Kevin Sites
          Get coverage of
          world crises.

          Moderator Central
          An online resource
          for moderators
          of Yahoo! Groups.

          Yahoo! Groups
          Cat Zone
          Connect w/ others
          who love cats.

          .

        • panimagdalena56
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 28, 2007
            Thank you all. I will check out the German Ren group. I haven't had
            good luck finding groups with searches so direction is wonderful. And
            the pictures I found are from the western areas (Silesia for one)of
            Poland where the Gereman influence would be strong.

            I'm looking forward to Saturday but I look forward to all events. A
            friend GAVE me a 50's style fur coat that will be made into some outer
            garment. The one sleeve will be perfect for another colpak with a
            REALLY wide fur brim.

            MG
          • panimagdalena56
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 28, 2007
              http://www.kostym.cz/Anglicky/2_Detaily/04_Malby/II_04_25.htm

              Please take a look at the first item which should be the shoemaker's
              shop. Do you think this the same headdress as the brown cap only done
              in linen?

              Magdalena
            • Leah Lloyd
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 28, 2007
                It looks more like an Italian Balzo to me, but that may just be my monitor being blurry.

                Danabren

                panimagdalena56 <panimagdalena56@...> wrote:
                http://www.kostym.cz/Anglicky/2_Detaily/04_Malby/II_04_25.htm

                Please take a look at the first item which should be the shoemaker's
                shop. Do you think this the same headdress as the brown cap only done
                in linen?

                Magdalena

                Recent Activity

                2
                New Members

                8
                New Photos

                Visit Your Group
                Yahoo! News
                Fashion News
                What's the word on
                fashion and style?

                Sell Online
                Start selling with
                our award-winning
                e-commerce tools.

                Moderator Central
                An online resource
                for moderators
                of Yahoo! Groups.

                .

                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 28, 2007
                  Leah Lloyd wrote:
                  > It looks more like an Italian Balzo to me, but that may just be my monitor being blurry.

                  Yes, balzo to me, too. The sort made with canes, like this one -- I
                  think -- but which is not coming up for me now:
                  http://home.earthlink.net/~lizjones429/balzo-new.htm

                  The site says it has exceeded its traffic limit for this month, so go
                  look for it on Monday.

                  --

                  Vandeverre's Emporium, Caledon II: for a subset of your Victorian Second
                  Life needs!
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 28, 2007
                    Again this is very German in nature. This whole headdress is called a
                    "steuchlein" in German.

                    Myra talks about hers here:

                    http://myra.hem.nu/costume/index.htm

                    Marion McNealy talks about her adventures with this here:

                    http://www.curiousfrau.com/

                    I don't know about anyone else, but I always like to call these "scallion
                    heads" because they look like the end of a green onion to me. The
                    steuchlein changes shape through the late 15th to the end of the 16th
                    century, and was clearly the conservative headdress of honorable married
                    women for church and street wear.

                    There's no denying that the big scallion shaped caps of the late 15th
                    century and early 16th century bare a close resemblance in shape to the
                    balzo. I would think that a wooden structure would grow tiresome to wear
                    on a daily basis so wonder at the feasibility of a felt understructure for
                    this large arrangement. Other configurations could easily have been
                    achieved by the false braid arrangements, or even fat silk covered braids
                    used as a headdress.

                    Katherine

                    > http://www.kostym.cz/Anglicky/2_Detaily/04_Malby/II_04_25.htm
                    >
                    > Please take a look at the first item which should be the shoemaker's
                    > shop. Do you think this the same headdress as the brown cap only done
                    > in linen?
                    >
                    > Magdalena

                  • Leah Lloyd
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 28, 2007
                      Mistress Damiana's site seems to be down, but this link http://www.sword.net/jessica/firenze/Early15thCenturyBalzo.pdf references it. She uses withies, a basket frame, to create the form. A Google search on "Balzo" also turns up a few other sites of dress diaries and construction.

                      So interesting!
                      Danabren

                      wheezul@... wrote:
                      Again this is very German in nature. This whole headdress is called a
                      "steuchlein" in German.

                      Myra talks about hers here:

                      http://myra.hem.nu/costume/index.htm

                      Marion McNealy talks about her adventures with this here:

                      http://www.curiousfrau.com/

                      I don't know about anyone else, but I always like to call these "scallion
                      heads" because they look like the end of a green onion to me. The
                      steuchlein changes shape through the late 15th to the end of the 16th
                      century, and was clearly the conservative headdress of honorable married
                      women for church and street wear.

                      There's no denying that the big scallion shaped caps of the late 15th
                      century and early 16th century bare a close resemblance in shape to the
                      balzo. I would think that a wooden structure would grow tiresome to wear
                      on a daily basis so wonder at the feasibility of a felt understructure for
                      this large arrangement. Other configurations could easily have been
                      achieved by the false braid arrangements, or even fat silk covered braids
                      used as a headdress.

                      Katherine

                      > http://www.kostym.cz/Anglicky/2_Detaily/04_Malby/II_04_25.htm
                      >
                      > Please take a look at the first item which should be the shoemaker's
                      > shop. Do you think this the same headdress as the brown cap only done
                      > in linen?
                      >
                      > Magdalena

                    • panimagdalena56
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 28, 2007
                        It could be Italian since Bona Sforza, a minor Italian noble, became
                        queen of Poland in 1518.

                        But I'm leaning more towards the German especially with the band that
                        goes under the chin.

                        Or a hybrid of both;-)

                        A lot to think about. Thank you all.

                        Magdalena
                      • Peaches, Magda, Anora
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 29, 2009
                          Hello! My name Is Magdalena Lucia Ramberti I hail from the outlands and I am insane about hats and hair!! I really think they are the finishing touch to every outfit. I look forward to reading the archives and learning all I can

                          Magda
                        • Yvianne
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 30, 2009
                            Welcome Magdalena

                            Please feel free to ask questions or share your knowledge and
                            experiences with the rest of us.

                            Yvianne
                            AEthelmearc