Hennin Help

  • Alianora Grey
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 28, 2002
      I was wondering if someone could give me an idea how to make the part of
      this hat that frames her face. I believe they're called lapletts. I'm not
      much of a seamstress so I just don't have any idea how to cut these out. I
      have some nice black cotton velveteen that I think will look especially nice
      and I have the hat and loop done, except for sewing it together up the back
      (which I thought I'd better wait on). Does anyone have some suggestions for
      me?

      Thanks!

      Alianora de Grey

      hat site:

      www.abcgallery.com/M/memling/memling23.html

    • Kelly Tvrdik
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 28, 2002
        Greetings!

        I hope I can help you out, and this is just a guess, so take it with a
        grain of salt! :D
        Could you just make a retangle, with slightly tapered ends? Or a
        cresent shape? I'd defentily try it out in scrap in fabric first. :)
        I hope this helps! :)

        Alessandra

        Alianora Grey wrote:

        > I was wondering if someone could give me an idea how to make the part
        > of
        > this hat that frames her face. I believe they're called lapletts.
        > I'm not
        > much of a seamstress so I just don't have any idea how to cut these
        > out. I
        > have some nice black cotton velveteen that I think will look
        > especially nice
        > and I have the hat and loop done, except for sewing it together up the
        > back
        > (which I thought I'd better wait on). Does anyone have some
        > suggestions for
        > me?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Alianora de Grey
        >
        > hat site:
        >
        > www.abcgallery.com/M/memling/memling23.html

        > http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners

        "My dear, this is something you must always remember.
        Your bosom can be fake. Your smile can be fake. Your
        hair color can be fake. But you pearls and your silver
        must always be real."

      • Grace Morris
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 29, 2002
          http://www.marquise.de/1400/pics/1490_2.shtml

          If you take a hood like this (but longer in front), add the hat, and fold
          the fabric back over the hat, you get this effect. Some examples from the
          period look like that to me. And there are very clear examples from Spain
          that show this (of course, they aren't on line!).

          Jessamyn

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4, 2002
            Also try this picture:
            Memling (flemish) "Young Wojman With a Carnation". I have no idea if it's
            on line, but you can find it on p.140 of the Virtue and Beauty exhibition
            book.

            Jessamyn

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 4, 2002
              There are also some interesting photos in the "galerie" section of :
              http://site.voila.fr/costumesXV

              Jessamyn