Re: [SCA-Milliners] Re: period wire

  • Anetika Roller
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 28 8:36 AM
      Green, I have been wrapping the wires with green silk ribbon that is sold
      for ribbon embroidery. It is pure silk, and is about 1/4" wide. I am
      making French Beaded Flowers, and the green ribbon is to cover the wire
      stems.. I was hoping I could skip a step, but of course there is no rest
      for the wicked! (grin) Your'e right, it isn't that tedious, especially if
      you put florist tape on first. That gives the ribbon something to kind of
      stick to, so they dont slip as you wrap.

      Thanks,
      Constance

      --
      Semper gero sub gero
      Always wear under wear

    • Helen Honeycutt
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 11, 2007
        I sort of cheated by using electricity. I covered
        some (several yards) wire by wrapping an end in tape
        till it fit in the chuck of a drill, and drafting
        friends. One to wear cotton gloves and keep the wire
        taut by slowly walking backwards, one to gently run
        the drill (yeay for variable powered cordless
        toys!!!!), and I carefully spooled silk thread onto
        the wire, using one hand to smooth it evenly and the
        other to tension the thread. It actually took longer
        to set up than to do, I wish I had thought of using
        silk ribbon though, I could have done it without so
        much help and stress (although the post-wind tea and
        cookies were great)

        http://farechase.yahoo.com/