Elizabethan coifs

  • Madeleine Delacroix
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 22, 2007
      Having read the thread (after doing the search) about the coif and the
      french hood and reading the attacklaurel's article on getting your
      coif to fit and stay on, I have a question..does anyone know of a
      pattern out there for this one piece style?? I have seen the two piece
      patterns but none for the one piece..thanks

      Madeleine
    • Heather/Margaret
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 22, 2007
        Madeleine Delacroix wrote:
        > Having read the thread (after doing the search) about the coif and the
        > french hood and reading the attacklaurel's article on getting your
        > coif to fit and stay on, I have a question..does anyone know of a
        > pattern out there for this one piece style?? I have seen the two piece
        > patterns but none for the one piece..thanks
        >
        > Madeleine
        Drea Leed's Elizabethan Costuming website has one that's downloadable as
        a .gif. I find that when I print it, my printer, which doesn't print all
        the way to the edge, will reduce it slightly to fit it all on the page,
        so do make a mock-up. You'll want to do that anyway to find a front
        shape that's attractive with your facial features/shape.

        The URL for that section of her website is
        http://www.elizabethancostume.net/headwear/coifmake.html

        Enjoy!
        Margaret Northwode, maker and owner of a few coifs herself
      • Madeleine Delacroix
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 27, 2007
          Ok, a month later..I made the coif, but I look like a little dutch
          girl..I enlarged it to fit my head(I have the same problem as you
          with the printer), how do you get that nice rounded back..?? this
          weekend we had an event, none of the ladies looked like this..any
          suggestions??

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 27, 2007
            Madeleine Delacroix wrote:
            > Ok, a month later..I made the coif, but I look like a little dutch
            > girl..I enlarged it to fit my head(I have the same problem as you
            > with the printer), how do you get that nice rounded back..?? this
            > weekend we had an event, none of the ladies looked like this..any
            > suggestions??

            This is where the making a mockup is helpful, because now you'll play
            with it, and mark it all to snot to determine what changes you'll need
            to make to your pattern to tweak it for your own noggin. You'll need to
            play with that belly button of a peak, as well as perhaps pinning the
            back and marking it so that it's closer to the profile of the back of
            your head with your hair up. That'll help to eliminate some of the
            extra, though frankly you *do* want a little bit to bunch up nicely in
            the back. I don't recall - did I mention the coif-*wearing* article at
            www.extremecostuming.com? I use this method, and let me tell you IT
            WORKS. I've literally had a canvas tent fall across the top of my head,
            and the only thing I needed to adhust after that was to flip the front
            peak back so it pointed forward. The coif never moved.

            Margaret Northwode
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 30, 2007
              --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Madeleine Delacroix"
              <madeleinedelacroix@...> wrote:

              > Ok, a month later..I made the coif, but I look like a little dutch
              > girl..I enlarged it to fit my head(I have the same problem as you
              > with the printer), how do you get that nice rounded back..?? this
              > weekend we had an event, none of the ladies looked like this..any
              > suggestions??

              You can add some pleats to the back by using some heavy thread and
              adding a running stitch from the back point for an 2 or 3 inches along
              the center of the top. Draw up and secure the running stitch a dn the
              pleats will conform (somewhat) to the top of your head.