Unusual Headress ~ Italian??

  • mountainfern
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 10, 2007
      I'd like to wear this headress. Any ideas on how it is constructed??
      It looks a bit turban like. What is under it? I have quizzed
      several local folks but no one thus far has had any suggestions or
      seen one like this before. Any help appreciated.

      Réunion des musées nationaux

      http://www.tiny.cc/sJWdC

      Vrederun
    • Wyndylyn
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 10, 2007
        I've seen and built something vaguely like this before. I *think* that the
        lace edge is the front edge of a kind of baby bonnet thing underneath the
        other cap with the long edges trailing over her shoulders in place of
        ribbon ties. The cap on top is built kind of like a mob cap but the outside
        edge of the circle is folded over to the gathering line to create the pouf
        effect. I tried a model really quick and it seems to give the right effect.
        You can see where the lace cap part is probably not connected with the mob
        cap as the edge between the two is variable.

        This is really pretty. I like it a lot. Thanks for sharing it with us. Any
        possibility that you can put it up on our archives?

        Wyndylyn

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 11, 2007
          --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "mountainfern"
          <FernsAndNettles@...> wrote:
          > I'd like to wear this headress. Any ideas on how it is constructed??
          > It looks a bit turban like. What is under it? I have quizzed
          > several local folks but no one thus far has had any suggestions or
          > seen one like this before. Any help appreciated.
          >>
          > http://www.tiny.cc/sJWdC

          That's really unique. A soft silk mob cap would be one explanation.
          Another possibility is that it is a soft silk gauze veil tied over a
          hairdo with a coronet-braid around the face and the veil is tied both
          in front of and behind the braid.

          But I'm not sure either idea is dead-on accurate.

          I don't see much turban in it, it is too irregular. When you twist a
          piece of fabric and wrap it, you don't tend to get those uneven bumps.

          Rashid
        • mountainfern
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 12, 2007
            Thanks Wyndylyn !

            I put the photo in the photo section under 'Vrederun' . . .

            When you say baby bonnet do you mean kind of like a coif???

            Vrederun
          • mountainfern
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 12, 2007
              Thank you Rashid . .

              Vrederun
            • Wyndylyn
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 12, 2007
                Yes, exactly. I've made fencing coifs and started with an expanded baby
                bonnet to come up with a pattern.

                I think I want to try one for myself. I'll put up pictures when I have
                something.
                Thanks for posting it.

                Wyndylyn

              • m d b
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 14, 2007
                  > I'd like to wear this headress. Any ideas on how it is
                  constructed??
                  > It looks a bit turban like. What is under it? I have quizzed
                  > several local folks but no one thus far has had any suggestions or
                  > seen one like this before. Any help appreciated.

                  > http://www.tiny.cc/sJWdC

                  I'll expand on what I told you in my journal;)

                  I did just find this however:
                  http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/GEN-MEDIEVAL/1998-11/0912075271
                  (Ascalona=Escalona).
                  http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escalona_del_Alberche
                  So it seems I was right in thinking it looked Spanish it's just a
                  little different to the styles than I'm familiar with.
                  http://sayaespanola.glittersweet.com/juana.htm
                  http://sayaespanola.glittersweet.com/mariadeaustria.htm (My first
                  Spanish gown love.. sigh.. I was 17 she was over 400 years old...;))
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Margaretha_van_Parma.jpg
                  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:MargarethevonParma01.jpg
                  http://www.thebowesmuseum.org.uk/collections/objects/category/9/205/
                  http://www.jessamynscloset.com/16thgallery.html (at the bottom, Doña
                  Mencía de Mendoza, this is very very formalised and doesn't extend
                  onto the bodice).
                  No these are not all the same but they are probably from the same
                  family of headdresses if you will.

                  I also found some recently on bildindex:
                  http://www.bildindex.de/bilder/gmp16324b.jpg Margaret of Austria
                  http://www.bildindex.de/bilder/mi13632d01a.jpg I'd have to search
                  bildindex again.

                  Still not really figured it out myself, though as I have long
                  pondered a Maria of Austria gown I will have to eventually decide. I
                  think the Margaret of Austia etching possibly is most enlightening
                  about a very simple version. It looks like the veil pulled down at
                  the bodice is part of the veil on the head as well. The left hand
                  side certainly supports this idea as there is pleating from her face
                  down to her bodice. As to the basic shape. I suppose experimenting is
                  one way to go;) I'd love to know what happens in the back though.
                  Does it sit straight across the shoulders? Does it hang in a point at
                  the back too? I suspect the first going again by the Margaret of
                  Austria image. If those pleats are all parallel with each other
                  anyway.

                  Willemyne van Nymgene
                  http://glittersweet.com