Veil pins

  • Madeleine Delacroix
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2007
      I had someone briefly explain who to make veil pins with jewelry
      wires..I have to go to the craft store tomorrow and was wondering if
      someone else knew what she was talking about..I read quickly through
      the search messages but didn't see anything..

      Madeleine Delacroix
    • Yvianne
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2007
        I have quite a collection of veil pins, mostly purchased at
        Pennsic.

        I have a few sets of veil pins based on extant period sources
        made from drawn brass wire. They are sharpened on one end by
        filing, sanding with sandpaper and a final polish with jewelers
        rouge.The other end of the wire is placed through a small bead
        then wrapped down and around the "pin" a few times to hold the
        bead in place. Though my pins were annealed by heating, they are
        still pretty flexible. I wear them only for special occasions.

        The ones I wear the most have cast pewter ends on them. The
        merchant selling them showed me the mold and explained how she
        uses pliers to break the plastic tops off of quilting pins, then
        places the bare pins in the mold. The hot metal is poured into
        the mold and in a few seconds, a decorative veil pin is removed.

        I found some quilt pins a few years ago with little leaves on the
        end. They look close enough to laurel leaves that I wear them
        sometimes instead of a medallion. I also use them to pin small
        tokens to things at A&S competitions.

        Yvianne
        AEthelmearc

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2007
          Generally, I use glass-headed pins which can be bought at JoAnn's, as
          these resemble some of the medieval finds.

          cv