Re: Veil

    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 6, 2007
      --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Griner" <susang45@...>
      wrote:

      > circle. Lastly, I sewed the hair in place with benda.

      What's benda? Google told me he is a 17th century composer, and that's
      all I could find.

      Rashid
    • Madeleine Delacroix
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 7, 2007
        This is a style of wearing the hair bound to the head with ribbon or
        "tape", or with a benda (a length of silk or linen veil used for
        covering, wrapping round or intertwining with the hair). It is a very
        comfortable way to wear your hair as the weight is evenly distributed
        over the head and the ribbons create a soft way of attachment. I have
        found evidence of this style from the mid-1300s through around 1600.
        The only evidence I have found of this style anywhere outside Italy is
        in France in the 16th century (I have included 2 examples of this).
        All my research consisted of pictorial evidence, I have not found any
        evidence in writing. I have also never come across anyone else's
        research on this subject. I welcome any feedback on my research.

        I should have just copied the address for you to see what it looks
        like..I wish I had longer hair..

        "unclrashid" <unclrashid@...> wrote:

        > What's benda? Google told me he is a 17th century composer, and that's
        > all I could find.
        >
        > Rashid

      • Madeleine Delacroix
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 7, 2007
          http://www.mfgraffix.com/hird/faoilt/hairtape.html

          Here's the address, should explain it with pics..

          "unclrashid" <unclrashid@...> wrote:

          > --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Griner" <susang45@>
          > wrote:
          > >

          > > circle. Lastly, I sewed the hair in place with benda.
          >
          > What's benda? Google told me he is a 17th century composer, and that's
          > all I could find.
          >
          > Rashid

        • Susan Griner
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 7, 2007
            BENDA/BINDA (F). A length of silk or linen veil used for covering, wrapping round or
            intertwining with the hair.
            Sorry for not defining my terms :-(
            Here's a great site for It. Ren. terminology
            http://www.geocities.com/dakea/glossarytermsclass.htm
            Lucrezia