Re: [SCA-Milliners] shaping buckram (was: hat brim)

  • Truly Carmichael
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2007
      I have a suggestion for the rounded tip, if you are using buckram and wire....

      If you can get a cheap Styrofoam head - or Styrofoam ball for floralish things that is about the right size for the top of your hat - you can make the rounded tip out of buckram yourself. One of the best features of buckram is that it's formable with water and a shape to pull it over. I cover a Styrofoam head with a plastic bag, then dunk my buckram quickly in warm water. Then I "work" it a little to make it pliable. When it's more like fabric and less like stiff stuff - I stretch it over the Styrofoam head and pin it into the head so that it stays and dries that shape. Let it REALLY dry. I've recently discovered that I don't have to make my desired shape in just one piece - you can layer pieces of wet buckram on top of each other and let them dry together and they become as one. This really reduced the number of "shape wrinkles" I used to get on the shaped Juliet-type Italian caps. I made a buckram shape recently that we jokingly call "the Magnito helmet" (though I SWEAR
      it's right out of an Italian Fresco - still I opted to wear a different hat with my dress. The point is - I could get a REALLY ROUND shape with the Buckram.

      The tricky part of this will be finding the right curved thingy for forming the buckram. It may be possible to make the tip first - then pattern your hat around the shape you found. I was going to suggest a kid's play ball (my son has several sizes) but then I thought -it's hard to pin into those and still have them be a Ball :)

      You could TOTALLY make a papier mache shape on a balloon to use multiple times. If this is a one-off hat, it might not be worth the trouble and time - but then again - if you HAD an easy to use paper mache form....you might just use it again. I know all your friends would like hats too :) And - don't you need one in every color??

      Hope that this helps - if you want photos of the "Magnito helmet" - write me and I'll try to take some and post them."

      Trulinor