Re: [SCA-Milliners] Robinhood hat

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 9 7:00 AM
      Vanessa wrote:
      > Dose any one know where I could get a pattern for a period robinhood
      > hat my husband really wants one.
      In its simplest form, a robin hood hat is a cone with a rounded tip,
      with one side of the cone turned up, and the other side becomes pointy
      due to the side which is folded up.

      Some SCA merchants sell hat blanks in felt which transform easily into a
      similar hat.

      I haven't seen many depictions of this in period art, but I haven't
      looked very hard for them, either. There's one in the Tres Riches
      Heures, though, but that's 200 years later than Robin Hood's heyday.

      cv
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 9 7:53 AM
        --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia Virtue <cvirtue@...>
        wrote:

        > I haven't seen many depictions of this in period art, but I haven't
        > looked very hard for them, either. There's one in the Tres Riches
        > Heures, though, but that's 200 years later than Robin Hood's heyday.
        >
        > cv

        You can find oodles of "Robin Hood" hats in period art in hunting
        scenes, hunting tapestries and manuscripts about hunting, the four
        seasons, and stuff like that. It seems to have been the icon
        for "woodsman" or "huntsman" in the gothic era to very early Tudor
        period. I don't recall when Robin Hood was set, but likely well
        before the mid 1300's to 1400's when you can see the hat in pics.
        But now that I think of it, that does explain why Errol Flynn's tunic
        was dagged, you see lots of dagging in the period pics. It doesn't
        explain why he was wearing a tunic instead of a houppelande, though.

        Rashid
      • hleleanor@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 9 7:54 AM
          Vanessa,

          I may know of a source. I'll check for you when I get home.

          YIS,
          Eleanor
          From: Cynthia Virtue <cvirtue@...>
          > Vanessa wrote:
          > > Dose any one know where I could get a pattern for a period robinhood
          > > hat my husband really wants one.
          > In its simplest form, a robin hood hat is a cone with a rounded tip,
          > with one side of the cone turned up, and the other side becomes pointy
          > due to the side which is folded up.
          >
          > Some SCA merchants sell hat blanks in felt which transform easily into a
          > similar hat.
          >
          > I haven't seen many depictions of this in period art, but I haven't
          > looked very hard for them, either. There's one in the Tres Riches
          > Heures, though, but that's 200 years later than Robin Hood's heyday.
          >
          > cv

          > http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • borderlands15213
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 9 12:59 PM
            --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "unclrashid" <unclrashid@...> wrote:

            > --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia Virtue <cvirtue@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > I haven't seen many depictions of this in period art, but I haven't
            > > looked very hard for them, either. There's one in the Tres Riches
            > > Heures, though, but that's 200 years later than Robin Hood's heyday.
            > >
            > > cv
            > >

            > You can find oodles of "Robin Hood" hats in period art in hunting
            > scenes, hunting tapestries and manuscripts about hunting, the four
            > seasons, and stuff like that. It seems to have been the icon
            > for "woodsman" or "huntsman" in the gothic era to very early Tudor
            > period. I don't recall when Robin Hood was set, but likely well
            > before the mid 1300's to 1400's when you can see the hat in pics.
            > But now that I think of it, that does explain why Errol Flynn's tunic
            > was dagged, you see lots of dagging in the period pics. It doesn't
            > explain why he was wearing a tunic instead of a houppelande, though.
            >
            > Rashid

            In a word, "Hollywood."
            As to the setting, that seems to vary a little bit according to which
            author's version of the legend you're reading, *if* I'm remembering
            English lit, but if we're talking about Bad King John and Richard the
            Lionhearted, then we're talking about the 1190's.
            But even allowing for Hollywood, can you imagine doing all that
            activity---riding, cudgeling, running, wrestling, jumping, swinging by
            wild grapevines or whatever from tree- to treehouse, poaching the
            King's deer, robbing the rich to give to the poor and all that---in a
            houppelande? All that athleticism just seems so much more
            *believable* for the viewer, if Robin and his bande of merrie men are
            in tunics and tights!

            Yseult the Gentle
          • Tia
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 10 12:31 PM
              --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Vanessa" <rusness59901@...>
              wrote:

              > Dose any one know where I could get a pattern for a period robinhood
              > hat my husband really wants one.

              http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0811728668/ref=pd_ys_iyr60/102-
              6264972-5263303

              there is a pattern in this book that is super simple

              it is basicly a triangle with a cut off point, I'll try to explain how
              to draw the pattern.

              in the center of your paper make a vertical line 9 inches High. this
              is the "center" line that I'll refer to

              to the left of the bottom of the line mark out 12 inches, to the right
              mark out 5 inches (this is the base/brim of the hat 17" total) on the
              right measure up 2.5 inches from teh brim line(this is the hieght of
              the "flip"

              Now all you have to do is Connect the the "flip" line to the top of
              the center line (thats finishes back seam of your hat) and connect the
              left of your base line to the top of the center line (this will give
              you the long line to the front point of the hat)

              you will have to cut two or cut on the fold to make up the hat.
              I usually cut 2 on the fold, sew up the back seams place them right
              sides to gether matching the seams. stitch around the bottom seam
              leaving a gap so you can turn them right side out & Viola'

              Ok that was long and probably not very well explained if you run into
              problems let me know I will try to help.