Hats for baby heads

  • mary_m_haselbauer
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 27, 2007
      I've been trying to think of a hat to make for my 14 month old. I've
      made her plenty of coifs but that doesn't cover her face. She's
      quite melanin deprived so I need to keep the sun off of her as much
      as possible.

      The only period hat for a child I can think of is the "Fernando,
      Infante de Castille's Coif"
      http://personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/cloth/spancoif.html

      I thought of putting a brim on on a coif but that looks a little
      like a Laura Ingles Wilder bonnet to me. Other solution such as six
      triangular panels that flare out to form a brim seems kind of
      modern.

      What am I overlooking?

      Thank you for your help!

      Slaine
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 27, 2007
        I have a coif for my daughter to which I attached a circular veil. It
        covers her forehead more than just the coif.

        Not documentable as a combo, but very useful. And, if I may say so,
        frighteningly cute.

        Cynthia
      • Truly Carmichael
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 27, 2007
          I would put a straw hat right on top of the coif and pin it to the coif to keep it on.

          She'll look like a little Flemish market baby :) Soooo cute!

          Otherwise - I've seen flatcaps work really well - though they have less brim than the straw one. They, too, go right over the coif.

          Truly Carmichael

          Canadian Daytime number: 519-843-2117
          If no answer at above: 519 787 2399

        • Nita Cress
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 28, 2007
            Slaine........
            Could you do a version of a kercheif? A sort of coif with a twisted band
            the stood out a bit over the forhead? Rather than the typical "Corey style"
            wrap, you could stitch the tails into place so babe wouldn't wooly it loose
            in the course of the day.

            Seems anything elaborate would be out of place.
            ------------Dejaneira
            BFS, Calontir

            Mortgage refinance is hot 1) Rates near 30-yr lows 2) Good credit get
            intro-rate 4.625%*
            https://www2.nextag.com/goto.jsp?product=100000035&url=%2fst.jsp&tm=y&search=mortgage_text_links_88_h2a5f&s=4056&p=5117&disc=y&vers=743
          • Nita Cress

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 16 12:32 PM
                  Where did you find a baby sized straw hat? I though I'd have just
                  before Easter but none of ones I could find looked right.

                  Slaine

                  > I would put a straw hat right on top of the coif and pin it to the
                  coif to keep it on.

                • Truly Carmichael
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 16 2:53 PM
                    I found these:

                    http://www.orientaltrading.com/application?namespace=browse&origin=searchMain.jsp&event=link.itemDetails&demandPrefix=12&sku=15/101&mode=Searching&erec=1&No=16&D=straw%2Bhat&Ntt=straw%2Bhat&Ntk=all&Dx=mode%252bmatchallpartial&Ntx=mode%252bmatchallpartial&N=0&sd=CHILD%27S+SAFARI+HAT

                    http://www.hatsupply.com/parentchildhats.htm

                    Best one!! :
                    http://crafta.com/a-256.html

                    Good luck!

                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 16 9:39 PM
                      Its been a while since I had to look for little hats. (my daughter is
                      now in her 20's) but I used to get them at craft stores (Micheals, A.C>
                      Moore). The selection was not great, because they were intended to be
                      hung on the wall with flowers and ribbons and stuff, but they did have
                      them in doll size and 5 year old size. They can also be steameed and
                      re-shaped a bit, if they are real straw.

                      I think I've seen them recently, but at my age recently is starting to
                      mean "within the last 5 years".

                      Rashid

                      --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "mary_m_haselbauer"
                      <mary_m_haselbauer@...> wrote:

                      > Where did you find a baby sized straw hat? I though I'd have just
                      > before Easter but none of ones I could find looked right.
                      >
                      > Slaine
                      >

                      > > I would put a straw hat right on top of the coif and pin it to the
                      > coif to keep it on.

                    • mary_m_haselbauer
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 22, 2007
                        I had to show off the cuteness. Thank you for the suggestion of
                        putting a straw hat on a coif.
                        http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d79/BabyGirlH/HPIM3661.jpg

                        Cheers,
                        Slaine
                      • Cheryl Redpath

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 22, 2007
                            You are most welcome. :) She is really incrediby cute.

                            Where did you end up finding the hat?

                            Truly Carmichael

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 22, 2007
                              Oh, that is really cute, and the hat looks good, too.

                              Joane

                              On Jun 22, 2007, at 9:00 AM, mary_m_haselbauer wrote:

                              > I had to show off the cuteness. Thank you for the suggestion of
                              > putting a straw hat on a coif.
                              > http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d79/BabyGirlH/HPIM3661.jpg
                              >
                              > Cheers,
                              > Slaine

                            • mary_m_haselbauer
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 25, 2007
                                On a second try I found it at Hobby Lobby. It was in the exactly
                                opposite corner from where I expected it.

                                Unfortunatly she's starting to realize how cute she is. I made a
                                little seat for her wagon and when we pulled her around she'd wave
                                like she's the queen.

                                Cheers,
                                Slaine