Re: [SCA-Milliners] Quick quick

  • Jane Stockton
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 21, 2007
      Quoting Madeleine Delacroix <madeleinedelacroix@...>:

      > Good day all, I need to make a short brimless hat in the next 24 hours
      > and am at a lose..would it be just a circle with the buckram strip, is
      > the strip shaped?? I have looked for about an hour and all I can find
      > is from Lynn McMasters, which is ok, but I don't have time to buy one
      > of her patterns..help!!!!
      >
      > Thanks so much..
      >
      > Madeleine

      What period, what location? What's it for?

      A basic pillbox is just a strip that is fitted to the crown, which can
      be a circle or an oblong/elipse.

      Cheers,
      Jane

      =======================================
      Jane Stockton
      Barony of Mordenvale, Kingdom of Lochac

      The Needles Excellency (blog) - http://laren.blogspot.com/
      Historical Needlework Resources - http://medieval.webcon.net.au/
      16th English Clothing Images (blog) - http://plainattyre.blogspot.com/
    • Stephanie Reiley
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 23, 2007
        If it were me, I'd go with an oval rather than a true circle for the
        tip of the hat. Unless you intend to pin it to the back of your
        head, it will sit better.

        Selene

        On Mar 21, 2007, at 5:37 PM, Madeleine Delacroix wrote:

        > Good day all, I need to make a short brimless hat in the next 24 hours
        > and am at a lose..would it be just a circle with the buckram strip, is
        > the strip shaped?? I have looked for about an hour and all I can find
        > is from Lynn McMasters, which is ok, but I don't have time to buy one
        > of her patterns..help!!!!
        >
        > Thanks so much..
        >
        > Madeleine

      • Madeleine Delacroix
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 23, 2007
          First thanks everyone for trying to figure out what I am talking
          about..I posted a picture of exactly what I am trying to do in
          the "hats and garb" album..Mary Dudley is wearing the exact hat I am
          trying to make. My day has passed and I copped out and bought a
          pillbox pattern, I had to cut it down because it's too big, but I
          just need clear directions anyway..the only thing I am trying to
          figure out is (in the pattern directions) why do they tell you to
          form an oval wire if the pattern is really circular?? One of those
          weird mysteries..

          Stephanie Reiley <miladyblade@...> wrote:

          > If it were me, I'd go with an oval rather than a true circle for
          the
          > tip of the hat. Unless you intend to pin it to the back of your
          > head, it will sit better.
          >
          > Selene
          >

          > On Mar 21, 2007, at 5:37 PM, Madeleine Delacroix wrote:
          >
          > > Good day all, I need to make a short brimless hat in the next 24
          hours
          > > and am at a lose..would it be just a circle with the buckram
          strip, is
          > > the strip shaped?? I have looked for about an hour and all I can
          find
          > > is from Lynn McMasters, which is ok, but I don't have time to
          buy one
          > > of her patterns..help!!!!
          > >
          > > Thanks so much..
          > >
          > > Madeleine

        • borderlands15213
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 24, 2007
            They're telling you to form a wire oval rather than a true circle
            because the part of your head where the hat's going to sit isn't
            circular. This is the case whether a hat is perfectly parallel to
            the ground, or tilted, or "square to" the back of the head.
            If you look at a human skull from above, you'll notice it has two
            axes (plural of axis): a short one which runs from side to side, and
            a longer one which runs from forehead to the back of the cranium---
            and by the back of the cranium I mean that rounded part just below
            the top, and not the base right above the nape of the neck.
            This makes an oval.
            If you were to slice through the skull from the base of the skull at
            the nape of the neck to the top of the skull, you'll get an oval
            again---just not quite as long.
            By the way: some peoples have a very long front-back axis, and others
            have a much shorter one.
            It's this oval-and-circle thing which makes flat caps (Tudor,
            Elizabethan, and for some people those big German Ren "platters")
            wavy: ask a circlular head opening to stretch itself over an oval
            (cross section of the skull), and you get a wandering, wavy outer
            edge line, whether crown, brim, or both. (Solution: round cap
            sections but a fitted oval head opening.)
            With a brimless hat, if you put a round base over the oval of the
            skull, you'll have areas where the two just don't meet and the hat
            won't sit securely and it won't feel comfortable.

            Yseult the Gentle

            --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Madeleine Delacroix"
            <madeleinedelacroix@...> wrote:

            > First thanks everyone for trying to figure out what I am talking
            > about..I posted a picture of exactly what I am trying to do in
            > the "hats and garb" album..Mary Dudley is wearing the exact hat I
            am
            > trying to make. My day has passed and I copped out and bought a
            > pillbox pattern, I had to cut it down because it's too big, but I
            > just need clear directions anyway..the only thing I am trying to
            > figure out is (in the pattern directions) why do they tell you to
            > form an oval wire if the pattern is really circular?? One of those
            > weird mysteries..
            >

            > Stephanie Reiley <miladyblade@> wrote:
            > >
            > > If it were me, I'd go with an oval rather than a true circle for
            > the
            > > tip of the hat. Unless you intend to pin it to the back of your
            > > head, it will sit better.
            > >
            > > Selene
            > >

            > > On Mar 21, 2007, at 5:37 PM, Madeleine Delacroix wrote:
            > >
            > > > Good day all, I need to make a short brimless hat in the next
            24
            > hours
            > > > and am at a lose..would it be just a circle with the buckram
            > strip, is
            > > > the strip shaped?? I have looked for about an hour and all I
            can
            > find
            > > > is from Lynn McMasters, which is ok, but I don't have time to
            > buy one
            > > > of her patterns..help!!!!
            > > >
            > > > Thanks so much..
            > > >
            > > > Madeleine

          • Madeleine Delacroix
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 5, 2007
              I ended up making one, a few days later than it was for,but although
              it's a simple design,I had to keep making it smaller ubtil it looked
              right..I will post pics of my sad attempt..