Re: [SCA-Milliners] Quick quick

  • Jane Stockton
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 21 5:58 PM
      Quoting Madeleine Delacroix <madeleinedelacroix@...>:

      > Good day all, I need to make a short brimless hat in the next 24 hours
      > and am at a lose..would it be just a circle with the buckram strip, is
      > the strip shaped?? I have looked for about an hour and all I can find
      > is from Lynn McMasters, which is ok, but I don't have time to buy one
      > of her patterns..help!!!!
      >
      > Thanks so much..
      >
      > Madeleine

      What period, what location? What's it for?

      A basic pillbox is just a strip that is fitted to the crown, which can
      be a circle or an oblong/elipse.

      Cheers,
      Jane

      =======================================
      Jane Stockton
      Barony of Mordenvale, Kingdom of Lochac

      The Needles Excellency (blog) - http://laren.blogspot.com/
      Historical Needlework Resources - http://medieval.webcon.net.au/
      16th English Clothing Images (blog) - http://plainattyre.blogspot.com/
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 21 8:14 PM
        --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Madeleine Delacroix"
        <madeleinedelacroix@...> wrote:

        > Good day all, I need to make a short brimless hat in the next 24
        hours
        > and am at a lose..would it be just a circle with the buckram
        strip, is
        > the strip shaped??

        It really depends on what period and what kind of hat and what the
        finished product is supposed to look like and how it is supposed to
        sit on your head. In general an unshaped strip works and is the
        most commonly used. Measure the circumfrence you want it to go
        around and then calculate or just cut out you r buckram strip and
        tape it togther and draw a circle that matches it.

        Remember that by the time yo turn the edges of the covering under,
        it adds bulk which will make the hat too small, so it's best to pad
        out your head with the fabric(s) that will be used before you
        measure the circumference. that way when you turn the edge under,
        you have already accounted for the extra bulk it adds. Otherwise
        the hat will sit way up on top of your head, instead of where you
        planned.

        Rashid
      • Stephanie Reiley
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 23 8:10 AM
          If it were me, I'd go with an oval rather than a true circle for the
          tip of the hat. Unless you intend to pin it to the back of your
          head, it will sit better.

          Selene

          On Mar 21, 2007, at 5:37 PM, Madeleine Delacroix wrote:

          > Good day all, I need to make a short brimless hat in the next 24 hours
          > and am at a lose..would it be just a circle with the buckram strip, is
          > the strip shaped?? I have looked for about an hour and all I can find
          > is from Lynn McMasters, which is ok, but I don't have time to buy one
          > of her patterns..help!!!!
          >
          > Thanks so much..
          >
          > Madeleine

        • Madeleine Delacroix
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 23 9:02 AM
            First thanks everyone for trying to figure out what I am talking
            about..I posted a picture of exactly what I am trying to do in
            the "hats and garb" album..Mary Dudley is wearing the exact hat I am
            trying to make. My day has passed and I copped out and bought a
            pillbox pattern, I had to cut it down because it's too big, but I
            just need clear directions anyway..the only thing I am trying to
            figure out is (in the pattern directions) why do they tell you to
            form an oval wire if the pattern is really circular?? One of those
            weird mysteries..

            Stephanie Reiley <miladyblade@...> wrote:

            > If it were me, I'd go with an oval rather than a true circle for
            the
            > tip of the hat. Unless you intend to pin it to the back of your
            > head, it will sit better.
            >
            > Selene
            >

            > On Mar 21, 2007, at 5:37 PM, Madeleine Delacroix wrote:
            >
            > > Good day all, I need to make a short brimless hat in the next 24
            hours
            > > and am at a lose..would it be just a circle with the buckram
            strip, is
            > > the strip shaped?? I have looked for about an hour and all I can
            find
            > > is from Lynn McMasters, which is ok, but I don't have time to
            buy one
            > > of her patterns..help!!!!
            > >
            > > Thanks so much..
            > >
            > > Madeleine

          • borderlands15213
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 24 7:13 AM
              They're telling you to form a wire oval rather than a true circle
              because the part of your head where the hat's going to sit isn't
              circular. This is the case whether a hat is perfectly parallel to
              the ground, or tilted, or "square to" the back of the head.
              If you look at a human skull from above, you'll notice it has two
              axes (plural of axis): a short one which runs from side to side, and
              a longer one which runs from forehead to the back of the cranium---
              and by the back of the cranium I mean that rounded part just below
              the top, and not the base right above the nape of the neck.
              This makes an oval.
              If you were to slice through the skull from the base of the skull at
              the nape of the neck to the top of the skull, you'll get an oval
              again---just not quite as long.
              By the way: some peoples have a very long front-back axis, and others
              have a much shorter one.
              It's this oval-and-circle thing which makes flat caps (Tudor,
              Elizabethan, and for some people those big German Ren "platters")
              wavy: ask a circlular head opening to stretch itself over an oval
              (cross section of the skull), and you get a wandering, wavy outer
              edge line, whether crown, brim, or both. (Solution: round cap
              sections but a fitted oval head opening.)
              With a brimless hat, if you put a round base over the oval of the
              skull, you'll have areas where the two just don't meet and the hat
              won't sit securely and it won't feel comfortable.

              Yseult the Gentle

              <madeleinedelacroix@...> wrote:

              > First thanks everyone for trying to figure out what I am talking
              > about..I posted a picture of exactly what I am trying to do in
              > the "hats and garb" album..Mary Dudley is wearing the exact hat I
              am
              > trying to make. My day has passed and I copped out and bought a
              > pillbox pattern, I had to cut it down because it's too big, but I
              > just need clear directions anyway..the only thing I am trying to
              > figure out is (in the pattern directions) why do they tell you to
              > form an oval wire if the pattern is really circular?? One of those
              > weird mysteries..
              >

              > Stephanie Reiley <miladyblade@> wrote:
              > >
              > > If it were me, I'd go with an oval rather than a true circle for
              > the
              > > tip of the hat. Unless you intend to pin it to the back of your
              > > head, it will sit better.
              > >
              > > Selene
              > >

              > > On Mar 21, 2007, at 5:37 PM, Madeleine Delacroix wrote:
              > >
              > > > Good day all, I need to make a short brimless hat in the next
              24
              > hours
              > > > and am at a lose..would it be just a circle with the buckram
              > strip, is
              > > > the strip shaped?? I have looked for about an hour and all I
              can
              > find
              > > > is from Lynn McMasters, which is ok, but I don't have time to
              > buy one
              > > > of her patterns..help!!!!
              > > >
              > > > Thanks so much..
              > > >
              > > > Madeleine

            • Madeleine Delacroix
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 5, 2007
                I ended up making one, a few days later than it was for,but although
                it's a simple design,I had to keep making it smaller ubtil it looked
                right..I will post pics of my sad attempt..