Quick quick

  • Madeleine Delacroix
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 21, 2007
      Good day all, I need to make a short brimless hat in the next 24 hours
      and am at a lose..would it be just a circle with the buckram strip, is
      the strip shaped?? I have looked for about an hour and all I can find
      is from Lynn McMasters, which is ok, but I don't have time to buy one
      of her patterns..help!!!!

      Thanks so much..

      Madeleine
    • Jane Stockton
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 21, 2007
        Quoting Madeleine Delacroix <madeleinedelacroix@...>:

        > Good day all, I need to make a short brimless hat in the next 24 hours
        > and am at a lose..would it be just a circle with the buckram strip, is
        > the strip shaped?? I have looked for about an hour and all I can find
        > is from Lynn McMasters, which is ok, but I don't have time to buy one
        > of her patterns..help!!!!
        >
        > Thanks so much..
        >
        > Madeleine

        What period, what location? What's it for?

        A basic pillbox is just a strip that is fitted to the crown, which can
        be a circle or an oblong/elipse.

        Cheers,
        Jane

        =======================================
        Jane Stockton
        Barony of Mordenvale, Kingdom of Lochac

        The Needles Excellency (blog) - http://laren.blogspot.com/
        Historical Needlework Resources - http://medieval.webcon.net.au/
        16th English Clothing Images (blog) - http://plainattyre.blogspot.com/
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 21, 2007
          --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Madeleine Delacroix"
          <madeleinedelacroix@...> wrote:

          > Good day all, I need to make a short brimless hat in the next 24
          hours
          > and am at a lose..would it be just a circle with the buckram
          strip, is
          > the strip shaped??

          It really depends on what period and what kind of hat and what the
          finished product is supposed to look like and how it is supposed to
          sit on your head. In general an unshaped strip works and is the
          most commonly used. Measure the circumfrence you want it to go
          around and then calculate or just cut out you r buckram strip and
          tape it togther and draw a circle that matches it.

          Remember that by the time yo turn the edges of the covering under,
          it adds bulk which will make the hat too small, so it's best to pad
          out your head with the fabric(s) that will be used before you
          measure the circumference. that way when you turn the edge under,
          you have already accounted for the extra bulk it adds. Otherwise
          the hat will sit way up on top of your head, instead of where you
          planned.

          Rashid
        • Stephanie Reiley
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 23, 2007
            If it were me, I'd go with an oval rather than a true circle for the
            tip of the hat. Unless you intend to pin it to the back of your
            head, it will sit better.

            Selene

            On Mar 21, 2007, at 5:37 PM, Madeleine Delacroix wrote:

            > Good day all, I need to make a short brimless hat in the next 24 hours
            > and am at a lose..would it be just a circle with the buckram strip, is
            > the strip shaped?? I have looked for about an hour and all I can find
            > is from Lynn McMasters, which is ok, but I don't have time to buy one
            > of her patterns..help!!!!
            >
            > Thanks so much..
            >
            > Madeleine

          • Madeleine Delacroix
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 23, 2007
              First thanks everyone for trying to figure out what I am talking
              about..I posted a picture of exactly what I am trying to do in
              the "hats and garb" album..Mary Dudley is wearing the exact hat I am
              trying to make. My day has passed and I copped out and bought a
              pillbox pattern, I had to cut it down because it's too big, but I
              just need clear directions anyway..the only thing I am trying to
              figure out is (in the pattern directions) why do they tell you to
              form an oval wire if the pattern is really circular?? One of those
              weird mysteries..

              Stephanie Reiley <miladyblade@...> wrote:

              > If it were me, I'd go with an oval rather than a true circle for
              the
              > tip of the hat. Unless you intend to pin it to the back of your
              > head, it will sit better.
              >
              > Selene
              >

              > On Mar 21, 2007, at 5:37 PM, Madeleine Delacroix wrote:
              >
              > > Good day all, I need to make a short brimless hat in the next 24
              hours
              > > and am at a lose..would it be just a circle with the buckram
              strip, is
              > > the strip shaped?? I have looked for about an hour and all I can
              find
              > > is from Lynn McMasters, which is ok, but I don't have time to
              buy one
              > > of her patterns..help!!!!
              > >
              > > Thanks so much..
              > >
              > > Madeleine

            • borderlands15213
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 24, 2007
                They're telling you to form a wire oval rather than a true circle
                because the part of your head where the hat's going to sit isn't
                circular. This is the case whether a hat is perfectly parallel to
                the ground, or tilted, or "square to" the back of the head.
                If you look at a human skull from above, you'll notice it has two
                axes (plural of axis): a short one which runs from side to side, and
                a longer one which runs from forehead to the back of the cranium---
                and by the back of the cranium I mean that rounded part just below
                the top, and not the base right above the nape of the neck.
                This makes an oval.
                If you were to slice through the skull from the base of the skull at
                the nape of the neck to the top of the skull, you'll get an oval
                again---just not quite as long.
                By the way: some peoples have a very long front-back axis, and others
                have a much shorter one.
                It's this oval-and-circle thing which makes flat caps (Tudor,
                Elizabethan, and for some people those big German Ren "platters")
                wavy: ask a circlular head opening to stretch itself over an oval
                (cross section of the skull), and you get a wandering, wavy outer
                edge line, whether crown, brim, or both. (Solution: round cap
                sections but a fitted oval head opening.)
                With a brimless hat, if you put a round base over the oval of the
                skull, you'll have areas where the two just don't meet and the hat
                won't sit securely and it won't feel comfortable.

                Yseult the Gentle

                <madeleinedelacroix@...> wrote:

                > First thanks everyone for trying to figure out what I am talking
                > about..I posted a picture of exactly what I am trying to do in
                > the "hats and garb" album..Mary Dudley is wearing the exact hat I
                am
                > trying to make. My day has passed and I copped out and bought a
                > pillbox pattern, I had to cut it down because it's too big, but I
                > just need clear directions anyway..the only thing I am trying to
                > figure out is (in the pattern directions) why do they tell you to
                > form an oval wire if the pattern is really circular?? One of those
                > weird mysteries..
                >

                > Stephanie Reiley <miladyblade@> wrote:
                > >
                > > If it were me, I'd go with an oval rather than a true circle for
                > the
                > > tip of the hat. Unless you intend to pin it to the back of your
                > > head, it will sit better.
                > >
                > > Selene
                > >

                > > On Mar 21, 2007, at 5:37 PM, Madeleine Delacroix wrote:
                > >
                > > > Good day all, I need to make a short brimless hat in the next
                24
                > hours
                > > > and am at a lose..would it be just a circle with the buckram
                > strip, is
                > > > the strip shaped?? I have looked for about an hour and all I
                can
                > find
                > > > is from Lynn McMasters, which is ok, but I don't have time to
                > buy one
                > > > of her patterns..help!!!!
                > > >
                > > > Thanks so much..
                > > >
                > > > Madeleine

              • Madeleine Delacroix
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 5, 2007
                  I ended up making one, a few days later than it was for,but although
                  it's a simple design,I had to keep making it smaller ubtil it looked
                  right..I will post pics of my sad attempt..