Re: [SCA-Milliners] Heraldic cote headware

  • Muirgheal ui Ogain
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 4, 2001
      These are great links. For those of you who know of such things, when doing
      the braids over the ears, do you start low behind the ears, loop them up
      over your ears then backdown? Or do you start high above the ears and loop
      down and back up? All these pictures show the looped braids but are a little
      vauge on how they are done. Ideas?
      Im a ponytail kinda gal myself.

      Muirgheal
      who ordered the fabric for the bridesmaid dresses today, wedding is on the
      22nd of this month:)
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 4, 2001
        It's hard to tell. In some examples, it looks very obviouly like the hair
        has been brushed up to over the ears, and then braided. That's how I've
        done it. I start with a high braid, and then just tuck the end under where
        it started.
        For an example, check out some pictures I took this spring while on my
        honeymoon (these are from the Louvre, my poor husband!):
        http://www.geocities.com/zificsak/ Check out the Jeanne de Bourbonne pics
        at the bottom.

        From a lot of paintings, it also looks like there's braids going across the
        back of the head. I'm not really sure how to do that. Fake braids are also
        doable. Hide the ends under the flowers, or under another hairdo with short
        hair.

        Wedding is on the 22nd? Eek! Sewing like mad...