Question on Men's Hats

  • Katrijn van Delden
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 27, 2006
      Greetings All,

      I have a question - what sort of hats were worn by men with
      doublets? I know this is really general but I have a slight dilema!
      My husband, who isn't particularly involved with the SCA does attend
      some events and he wants me to make him a new outfit for our
      Anniversary Feast in April! The outfit will not be authentic (there
      is no way on this earth I will get him in tights/leggings!) so I
      want to make a good attempt that is not too distasteful <grin>. He
      will wear loose-ish trousers and would like me to make a doublet
      (View C on McCall's pattern M4695) with the hat (from McCalls
      pattern M4805 View C).

      Do you think I can get away with this combo (keeping in mind it is
      for someone that might attend one or two events a year)? Is the hat
      okay or too OOP? I have scanned the pattern covers into a folder
      called 'Katrijn's Chaos' in the files section.

      Any suggestions for making it authentic looking so as not to offend
      anyone?

      Many thanks!

      Yours in Service
      Katrijn van Delden
      (Proposed Shire of Radburne - Kingdom of Lochac)
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 28, 2006
        The doublet pattern is reallhy vague. Its based on traditional
        ballet doublets rather than anything real. It's hard to tell what
        period it is supposed to be, Elizabethan or Cavalier. But I just
        checked the big 3 pattern companies and there are no good doublet
        patterns, so I can't recommend anything better without going to the
        more expensive specialty companies. If I remember correctly, most
        of them are somewhat better, but aside from Margo, they aren't great.

        Since the period of the doublet is vague, you could use either view
        B or C of the hat pattern. I recommend B (tudor/elizabethan cap)
        because it's easier to achieve a decent version of that than of the
        Cavalier hat (view C).

        Since this is not a sewing list, but a hat list, I won't go into all
        that is wrong with the doublet, but if you contact me off-list I can
        tell you some easy modifications to make it look a little more
        authentic.

        Rashid
        unclrashid@...

        --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Katrijn van Delden"
        <arzorath@...> wrote:

        > will wear loose-ish trousers and would like me to make a doublet
        > (View C on McCall's pattern M4695) with the hat (from McCalls
        > pattern M4805 View C).
        >
        > Do you think I can get away with this combo (keeping in mind it is
        > for someone that might attend one or two events a year)? Is the
        hat
        > okay or too OOP? I have scanned the pattern covers into a folder
        > called 'Katrijn's Chaos' in the files section.
        >
        > Any suggestions for making it authentic looking so as not to
        offend
        > anyone?

      • borderlands15213
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 28, 2006
          First, let me state that I agree with Rashid.

          The doublet is rather vague, but since your question is whether you
          can "....get away with this combo (keeping in mind...one or two events
          a year)?" I'd say yes, you can, as long as spot-on historical
          accuracy or authenticity isn't an issue or an **official,** and note
          that I emphasize **official,** requirement (because if this is for
          SCA, we don't have an *official* standard of accuracy.)
          The "flat cap" would be my choice, or I'd use a cap which has a crown
          gathered into the brim, such as is worn by "Sam, my pretty one [the
          youngish lad who plays girls for Joseph Fiennes's "Shakespeare in
          Shakespeare in Love"]" when he's not dressed as a girl.

          Sometimes nomenclature in a presentation can make or break a sale.
          "Tights and short, puffy melon-pants" won't cut it. But would your DH
          wear, maybe, "...you know, honey, just like plus-fours from the
          late-Nineteen-teens or Nineteen-Twenties, like for golfing, except
          maybe a bit fuller; and *plain* tall socks?"
          I'll bet your husband has simply gorgeous legs, and I'll bet that once
          he collects compliments on how gorgeous *he* is in vaguely Elizabethan
          garb he'll be happier to wear it!

          Yseult the Gentle

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 28, 2006
            Greetings Rashid and Yseult,

            Many thanks for your input. It is for an SCA event, for our Incipient
            Shire's first anniversary feast. Most of us have an attempt at pre
            1600 clothing but for 2007 our goal is to try and make our garb more
            period (baby steps and all that <grin>).

            My DH does have the figure to carry off the Elizabethan but not the
            will LOL. He is a jeans man and only owns one pair of dress trousers
            for weddings and funerals, so even the trousers with high socks are a
            no go area at this point in time LOL.

            The Costumers of Lochac list are helping me out also with this dilemma.

            YiS,
            Katrijn
          • Stephanie Reiley
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 29, 2006
              The hat is close enough to a Tudor flat cap that you should be fine.
              Kudos to you for thinking about making headware for someone who may
              only be attending a few events a year. :)

              If you would like some ideas for material and trimming, I recommend
              looking at some of the period portraits. One site I find useful for
              that is:

              http://www.tudor-portraits.com/

              (The Edward the VI and Various Portraits galleries have several
              pictures of flat caps.)

              Hope that helps.

              Selene