late period hats

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 14, 2006
      Hi folks,

      A friend of mine is working on a research project and wants to know which costumers are considered the experts on French hoods. Any suggestions? This is outside of my period, so I'm no expert. I'll pass on any recommended names to her.

      Thanks!

      Cynthia
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 14, 2006
        I don't remember the name, or the url (My bad) but I do recall someone
        who had a website with a demo of a way to wear one of those Elizabethan
        coifs that involved braids and tying the string to that it gripped the
        head over the braids... and then she had a french hood that just fit
        perfectly over it and looked great. Ring any bells anybody?

        Rashid

        --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia Virtue <cvirtue@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi folks,
        >
        > A friend of mine is working on a research project and wants to know
        which costumers are considered the experts on French hoods. Any
        suggestions? This is outside of my period, so I'm no expert. I'll
        pass on any recommended names to her.

        > Thanks!
        >
        > Cynthia

      • Ciorstan
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 14, 2006
          Sarah Lorraine Goodman, located here:

          http://www.modehistorique.com/elizabethan/coif.html

          This is the most realistic-looking French hood (e.g., closest to a
          portrait) I've ever come across-- and I've been looking since the early
          '80s. I find her theory very plausible because there are wardrobe
          accounts/inventories listing "billaments," which refers to the band of
          jewels across the back/top edge of the hood. I also found this photo of
          the statue atop the grave of Katherine Parr, which suggests the hood was
          worn this way:

          http://tudorhistory.org/parr/tombclose.jpg

          The tie-the-strings-around-the-head picture/article is from The Attack
          Laurel (I always giggle when reading her pages) here:

          http://www.extremecostuming.com/articles/howtowearthecoif.html

          which is based on a coif pattern from Ninya Mikhail's "The Tudor
          Tailor." One can see a coif made in this style (though she wears a black
          velvet barret on top) in Katherine Parr's portrait here:

          http://www.marileecody.com/parr-scrots.jpg

          ciorstan

          unclrashid wrote:

          > I don't remember the name, or the url (My bad) but I do recall someone
          > who had a website with a demo of a way to wear one of those Elizabethan
          > coifs that involved braids and tying the string to that it gripped the
          > head over the braids... and then she had a french hood that just fit
          > perfectly over it and looked great. Ring any bells anybody?
          >
          > Rashid
          >

          > --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia Virtue <cvirtue@...>
          > wrote:
          >> Hi folks,
          >>
          >> A friend of mine is working on a research project and wants to know
          > which costumers are considered the experts on French hoods. Any
          > suggestions? This is outside of my period, so I'm no expert. I'll
          > pass on any recommended names to her.
          >> Thanks!
          >>
          >> Cynthia

        • Salli Weston, Scott Theisen
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 14, 2006
            On 12/14/06, unclrashid <unclrashid@...> wrote:

            > I don't remember the name, or the url (My bad) but I do recall someone
            > who had a website with a demo of a way to wear one of those Elizabethan
            > coifs that involved braids and tying the string to that it gripped the
            > head over the braids... and then she had a french hood that just fit
            > perfectly over it and looked great. Ring any bells anybody?
            >
            > Rashid

            There's a similar coif article at
            http://www.extremecostuming.com/articles/howtowearthecoif.html but no french
            hood info.

            Petranella

          • Kimiko Small
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 14, 2006
              At 05:21 PM 12/14/2006, you wrote:
              >Hi folks,
              >
              >A friend of mine is working on a research project and wants to know which
              >costumers are considered the experts on French hoods. Any
              >suggestions? This is outside of my period, so I'm no expert. I'll pass
              >on any recommended names to her.
              >
              >Thanks!
              >
              >Cynthia

              I am no means an expert, but I've been researching French hoods for over a
              year. I have a site of FH images (still working on getting more images
              uploaded)
              http://www.kimiko1.com/research-16th/FrenchHood/
              The following is my dress diary that started my research, and the final product
              http://www.kimiko1.com/dressdiaries/1545FrenchHood/index.html

              I also have a new idea (at least new to me, but I know of one other person,
              or maybe two, who have similar ideas) of how the French hoods are possibly
              made that I hope to actually work out next year when I get some more
              personal time.

              Other links of interest
              http://www.ninyamikhaila.com/frenchhood.html
              That's the author of The Tudor Tailor on her Mary Tudor Fhood

              http://www.elizabethancostume.net/headwear/frenchhood.html
              http://www.elizabethancostume.net/headwear/fhoodmake.html
              From Drea Leed's site

              I can think of one more site, ah found it
              http://modehistorique.com/elizabethan/coif.html
              Her method is what I think is the very probable method of French hoods. We
              wrote back and forth while I was doing my early research, and she was very
              helpful. She showed me images (not on that page) that really show the hood
              well. However, I was researching earlier styles than she had, so I didn't
              follow through with making something similar. My research went full circle
              when I found one image (after I made my Fhood) that helped me to visualize
              her method for earlier Tudor garments (1520s-40).
              http://www.kimiko1.com/research-16th/FrenchHood/1530/BathshebaHead1.html
              Hence why I am remaking the Fhood to this style.

              Wow, that's more stuff than I had planned to write up.

              Hope that all helps.

              Joane Silvertoppe
              B. Nordwache, K. Caid
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              mka Kimiko Small, Fresno, CA, USA
              A Gentlewoman's Warderobe Accounts
              http://www.kimiko1.com/warderobe.html
            • Cindy Myers
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 15, 2006
                > A friend of mine is working on a research project and wants to know
                > which costumers are considered the experts on French hoods. Any
                > suggestions? This is outside of my period, so I'm no expert. I'll
                > pass on any recommended names to her.
                >
                > Thanks!
                >
                > Cynthia

                Google on Melanie Schuessler. She presented a paper at the Medieval
                Congress (Kalamazoo) on the construction of French Hoods.

                I consider her an expert. ;)

                --Emmelyne
              • Kimiko Small
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 15, 2006
                  At 12:51 PM 12/15/2006, you wrote:
                  >Google on Melanie Schuessler. She presented a paper at the Medieval
                  >Congress (Kalamazoo) on the construction of French Hoods.
                  >
                  >I consider her an expert.
                  >
                  >--Emmelyne

                  Oh, I agree with her name, and am sorry I had forgotten to list her. We've
                  chatted on h-costume mailing list about French hoods, and agree on many
                  facets of it, including the tube shape of the black hood (not sleeve shaped
                  as in Tudor Tailor and many other sources of instruction). I would love to
                  read the paper she presented; I will have to ask her. Sadly, she doesn't
                  have much of her info on Fhoods online, yet.

                  The image she shared with me has the back of the hood in shadows, but you
                  can see some of the shape of it.
                  http://www.faucet.net/costume/period/yellow.html

                  Joane
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 15, 2006
                    Thank you to everyone who has responded! I've sent the info to my
                    friend, and will continue to forward if other suggestions bubble up.

                    cv