Gahhhhhh - lost a link

  • Julie Stackable, SCA Margaret Hepburn
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2006
      Greetings all,
      At one time, I had a link for a site with medieval head wrapping -
      taking a rectangle of linen and manipulating it and voila, you look
      like you stepped from at wheatfield in the Duc de Berry's Heures.
      Can't find it now! Anyone have any ideas??
      Thanks much,
      Margaret Hepburn
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2006
        I don't remeber a website for this, but it sounds like the standard
        gothic turban. It's easy to do.

        You need a piece of cloth 18 to 24 inches wide and 7 to 10 feet long.
        Center it over your forehead or the back of your head. Pull it
        together around your head so it covers your head sort of like a
        kercheif. Twist the loose ends together into a kind of rope. Wrap
        the "rope" part around your head, nore or less at the bottom edge of
        the "kercheif" and when you run out of "rope" tuck the end under the
        wrapped rope.

        optional:

        1. when you the "rope" arrives back at the beginning, pull it under
        the starting point and snug it up for more security. continue wrapping
        and finsih as before.

        2. instead of wrapping all the way to the end and tucking the end in,
        tuck it in or under sooner and leave a few decorative inches hanging
        down or sticking up. this is more usually done when the veil has
        embroidery or fringe on the end.

        There are other arrangements that can be done with a squarer veil that
        involve more pins and less wrapping, and I don't know how to do them.

        Rashid

        --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Julie Stackable, SCA Margaret