Re: Men's hat/cap - 1608

  • Christina Biles
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 23 12:52 PM
      >>> Chrestienne asked:
      >>>Does anyone have illustrations or descriptions of the type of hat or cap
      that would have been worn by John Smith's crew during his Chesapeake
      explorations in 1608?

      You might be interested in the Monmouth Cap style, which was often worn by
      sailors.

      http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/jennifer/Monmouth.htm

      From Telana's article:
      "Though Monmouth's star had started to dim, the caps continued popular for
      at least another century. Captain John Smith, a leader of Jamestown Colony
      and figure in the Pocahontas story, wrote an instructional pamphlet for the
      benefit of English colonists, and a Monmouth cap is near the top of the list
      of items for one's kit (The Things the Pilgrims Brought). In the 1620s, the
      Massachusetts Bay Colony's sponsors ordered Monmouth caps as part of the
      outfitting of one hundred men heading for the New World. The caps are
      described as "thick, warm, fulled by hand- and foot- beating and much
      favored by seamen." Some of them, at least, were red in color (Macdonald,
      p.3)."

      Being a lovely woman, she even includes knitting instructions. She was
      knitting one in the car with me on the way home from an event yesterday.
      ;> She tells me that when she has her knitting mojo on, they take about 5
      hours to knit. I have no knitting mojo, so I can't tell you how long they
      take for ordinary mortals.

      Also, in case you look at the URL and go hmmmm...., she's married to Marc
      Carlson of the extant clothing of the middle ages site. And if you haven't
      been there, tis very cool.
      The hats portion:
      http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/cloth/list.html

      -Magdalena