OT-dickens-esque bonnet

  • HL Melisenda Alix de la Croix
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2006
      Hello!

      This is way past period, but I am looking for some help. My mom's
      choir is performing for Christmas and I zigged when I should have
      zagged, so now I am making her outfit. And by November 17th.

      I am looking for information on creating the 1834-1840's bonnet. I've
      found a web site that will sell me a pattern for it. But I'm hoping to
      find information that won't cost me.

      I've dug out my reference books and have a good idea of what this is
      supposed to look like, but how it's put together... that's another
      story.

      So.... any information would be welcome.

      Thank you!
      Melisenda Alix
    • fionnghualaingheanuilliam
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2006
        I'm not sure this would help, but couldn't hurt to take a
        look...it's free.
        http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?
        page=jump/homePageEraBonnet/hpEraBonnetIndex.cfm

        Fionnghuala

        --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "HL Melisenda Alix de la

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 3, 2006
          If you know what its supposed to look like, then you are halfway
          there.

          For something like this, I would go to craft stores and thrift stores
          and try to find a straw hat that is close and then modify it. WHile
          it is unlikely that you will find an actual bonnet shape, you can
          probably fake it easily by cutting away the back of the brim and
          wiring or steaming what is left into shape.

          For quick and dirty, you can duct tape (or stitch) a straw hat along
          where you are going to cut it and then edge it with duct tape or even
          bias tape. You can also put wire in the edge before you tape over
          it. You can easily cover it with fabric and trim by using a low temp
          glue gun.

          Rashid

          <MdmMalice1@...> wrote:

          > Hello!
          >
          > This is way past period, but I am looking for some help. My mom's
          > choir is performing for Christmas and I zigged when I should have
          > zagged, so now I am making her outfit. And by November 17th.
          >
          > I am looking for information on creating the 1834-1840's bonnet.
          I've
          > found a web site that will sell me a pattern for it. But I'm
          hoping to
          > find information that won't cost me.

        • borderlands15213
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 3, 2006
            Hmm.
            You've set us (or me, at least) a puzzle. There used to be more
            instructions for this stuff---Victorian millinery---on-line than I'm
            finding at present. Of course, I'm also finding what you mentioned:
            lots of sites selling patterns, or the hats and bonnets themselves.

            Have you looked on-line, via Google or one of the other big engines
            for something like, "instructions Victorian bonnets?"
            Actually, I tried that for you, and came up with something like
            five-hundred-fifty-thousand hits (no kidding, no sarcasm: just a
            fact.) There is this for a two-hour sunbonnet:
            http://www.motherearthnews.com/DIY/1978_July_August/Make_Your_Own_Sunbonnet___in_Less_Than_Two_Hours
            (You may have to cut and paste.) This might not be exactly what
            you're looking for, but I'm hoping it might help you a little bit as a
            very general guide if "bonnet" in this sense is what you want.

            And you've said 1834-1840, but do you have a particular hat or bonnet
            in mind? Could you provide an image, or a detailed description?

            But I do wind up doing some Victorian stuff every autumn/approaching
            Christmastide, and I'd be happy to share notes or thoughts with
            you---off list, unless the list-mom says it's okay to continue this
            out-of-period thread on list.

            Yseult the Gentle

            <MdmMalice1@...> wrote:

            > Hello!
            >
            > This is way past period, but I am looking for some help. My mom's
            > choir is performing for Christmas and I zigged when I should have
            > zagged, so now I am making her outfit. And by November 17th.
            >
            > I am looking for information on creating the 1834-1840's bonnet. I've
            > found a web site that will sell me a pattern for it. But I'm hoping to
            > find information that won't cost me.
            >
            > I've dug out my reference books and have a good idea of what this is
            > supposed to look like, but how it's put together... that's another
            > story.
            >
            > So.... any information would be welcome.
            >
            > Thank you!
            > Melisenda Alix

          • Tia
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 4, 2006
              Try searching under "poke Bonnet" Or "Spoon Bonnet"

              Poke bonnet usually has a longer brim where the spoon is short &
              sticks up high.
            • borderlands15213
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 10, 2006
                --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Tia" <teedle77@...> wrote:

                > Try searching under "poke Bonnet" Or "Spoon Bonnet"
                >
                > Poke bonnet usually has a longer brim where the spoon is short &
                > sticks up high.

                While I was digging around a bit, I'd come across that shorter, more
                upright brim; quite a charming hat but, if I'm understanding
                correctly, it is fashionable in the late 1850's and into the 1860's,
                and not before? The original poster needs something from 1834 - 1840,
                she said.

                I also noticed---and I'm hoping this will prove helpful to her---that
                not all sites use "bonnet," and others may be using the word "bonnet"
                inaccurately: the Victorians made a distinction, evidently, between
                the two, and I'm mentioning this because it struck me as a possibility
                that not every person who's webbed information on headwear for that
                era has made the *same* distinction.
                And speaking for myself, Victorian hats and bonnets are an area
                wherein I know very little. :-( (For now. :-) In a while I'll be
                able to explore this, too, and that'll be fun.)

                Yseult the Gentle
              • Tia
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 11, 2006
                  Thank you Yesult, You are correct the Spoon Bonnet is the name of a
                  Similarly shapped hat but from a Later period. the only significant
                  Diffrence is the height of the brim. as seen here Pic 3 & 4
                  http://www.hatsupply.com/bonnetpatterns.htm

                  As our Original Poster was looking for Free instructions & already had
                  a general Idea of what she was looking for, I thought Perhaps the
                  search terms Might have helped her find them.

                  Sorry for the Confusion,

                  Tia
                • ravens3
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 12, 2006
                    > 1. Re: OT-dickens-esque bonnet
                    > Posted by: "Tia" teedle77@... teedle77
                    > Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:55 am (PST)

                    > the only significant
                    > Diffrence is the height of the brim. as seen here Pic 3 & 4
                    > http://www.hatsupply.com/bonnetpatterns.htm

                    Sorry, this is my Civil War reenactor (too) 'authenticity freak'
                    showing.....

                    Only the two hats at the very bottom of the page are poke bonnets - if you
                    look more closely at the illustrations on this site you will observe that
                    the crown of a poke bonnet is deeper and shaped quite differently, it sits
                    further forward on the head so as to surround the face, and has a
                    'swept-back' lower edge at ear level, and does not have an 'apron' at the
                    nape......the Spoon bonnet is shallow, regardless of its height (shaped like
                    a spoon), so as to be worn at the back of the head, and a very significant
                    difference is the 'lappets' at the lower front by the ears as seen in
                    examples 3 and 4 as well as the 'apron' which is shown on what this site is
                    calling 'cottage' and 'flounced' bonnets, all of which post-dated the
                    "Dickens era", and may be seen as 'transitional'.....so the differences
                    between the two styles Are significant .....

                    Gwenllian
                  • borderlands15213
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 12, 2006
                      --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Tia" <teedle77@...> wrote:

                      > Thank you Yesult, You are correct the Spoon Bonnet is the name of a
                      > Similarly shapped hat but from a Later period. the only significant
                      > Diffrence is the height of the brim. as seen here Pic 3 & 4
                      > http://www.hatsupply.com/bonnetpatterns.htm
                      >
                      > As our Original Poster was looking for Free instructions & already
                      had
                      > a general Idea of what she was looking for, I thought Perhaps the
                      > search terms Might have helped her find them.
                      >
                      > Sorry for the Confusion,
                      >
                      > Tia

                      Not at all, no apology necessary.
                      I've just realized that in my post, I wasn't clear when I said not
                      all sites or webbers use "bonnet."
                      What I'd meant was, there are some folks out there who seem to be
                      using the terms "bonnet" and "hat" interchangably, and that was the
                      one point I'd wanted to make.
                      Before I got into SCA, I'd been fascinated by Victorian fashion still
                      feel more than comfortable with all the other aspects of the
                      clothing, but Victorian head wear is just not an area I got into,
                      much.
                      So, speaking for myself, thank you very much for the links. :-)

                      Yseult the Gentle