Re: [SCA-Milliners] coffee filter hats

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2000
      Silverwood wrote:
      > That's the one. It has a name but I can't remember it.

      "Filet" is probably the word you're thinking of. Goes with "barbette"
      the chin strap. However, in the SCA, since fillet can also mean a metal
      circlet, I use "coffee filter hat" when not at an event. Just "hat" at
      events, usually.

      I've been experimenting with these recently, to get the pleated and the
      wavy-top look simultaneously, by taking a flat ring of buckram and
      gathering the outer edge by needle & thread, pulling it up into a
      cylinder, spritzing with water to set. I now have something that looks
      exactly like the vertical bit of a basket coffee filter, looks pleated,
      and from slightly below, has the wavy edge of the Manesse codex women.
      Now I have to try it with a fabric cover over the buckram.

      Anyone else tried this? How did it work for you, and do you think they
      might have done it in period?

      ... a stranger they had understandably overlooked because of his rather
      ordinary black cape, black chain mail, black mace, black dirk, and
      perfectly normal red glowing fires where his eyes should have been. --
      Bored of the Rings
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 31, 2000
        Hi Taryn, and list,

        The issue of what to call these is interesting; some folks call it a
        toque, but I think this may be the wrong word. To me, 'toque' signifies
        something that is closed on top; hence I use 'fillet.'

        Webster's online has this to say (may or may not be useful):

        Main Entry: toque
        Etymology: Middle French, soft hat with a narrow brim worn especially in
        the 16th century, from Old Spanish 'toca' headdress
        Date: 1505
        1 : a woman's small hat without a brim made in any of various soft
        close-fitting shapes
        2 : TUQUE
        3 : a tall brimless hat worn by a chef -- called also toque blanche

        Main Entry: fil·let
        Etymology: Middle English filet, from Middle French, diminutive of fil
        thread -- more at FILE
        Date: 14th century
        1 : a ribbon or narrow strip of material used especially as a headband
        2 a : a thin narrow strip of material
        (other stuff relating to meat and architecture snipped)

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 31, 2000
          Ah, if only for a time machine!

          So do you know of any contemporary pictures showing fillets/toques with
          tops, or clearly without?

          The only one I've seen that gives any details is an effigy statue in the
          Cloisters, which is open on top, but others have said statues that have
          closed ones might not be reliable, because it's a lot easier for a
          stonecarver to leave the thing filled in, and more weather proof if the
          statue is upright and outside. All the drawings I have are from the
          side, so no way to make a conclusion. Argh.