Re: [SCA-Milliners] Digest Number 839

  • Kat
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 17, 2006
      Ignoring the original reasons, sumptuary laws required it in cases...
      In Florence 16th C, it was required by sumptuary laws to wear a veil if you
      were married for longer than 1 year.
      The sheer fabrics were more expensive and so showed off your wealth and
      station.
      Kat
      La Signora Onorata Katerina da Brescia
      Innilgard.
      The Purplefiles http://katerina.purplefiles.net

      "Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might
      as well dance!"

      > LoL! When I look at the tiny, sheer veils covering Italian womens ears in
      > the 1460's I always
      > giggle. It's like a peep show. They're covered, so I'm virtuous, but the
      > veil is sheer. How
      > shocking, you can see my ears :-o
      > Lucrezia>
    • Kat
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 17, 2006
        Greetings Your Lady,

        > My name is Carith de Cuevas and I hail from the Barony of Three
        > Mountains in An Tir. I am seeking some very specific information on
        > Italian Renaissance Hair Taping.

        If you have a copy or can access one of A Tudor Tailor, they have pics on
        tying braids with ribbon. I have some pics on my website.
        http://katerina.purplefiles.net/garb/hair/Hair%20taping.htm
        if you look at pics, esp from end of 1500's Italy, the hair taping looks
        very similar.
        I use this method mostly.
        I also use little ribbons to make bows to hold the braids in several places.
        This is seen in Florentine portraits.

        When pinning a veil to my hair, I use pearl headed pins.
        hope this helps

        >Further, there is a book I have been despirate to find that was
        >supposed to be published in 2003 called "Plucked, Shaved and Braided"
        >by Daniella Turudich. I have searched the Internet for 3 years, gone
        >to every book vendor and library I could and even with the ISBN
        >number I have gotten nowhere finding the book.

        I have had this on order for three years. Last I heard it was not publsihed
        as yet.
        anyone else know anything. I would be interested as well.
        :)
        Kat.
        La Signora Onorata Katerina da Brescia
        Innilgard.
        The Purplefiles http://katerina.purplefiles.net

        "Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might
        as well dance!"
      • Guenievre de Monmarche
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 18, 2006
          Last I checked on this, the publisher had gone out of business and no
          alternate publisher had been found for the manuscript. That was about a year
          ago, or more.

          Guenièvre

          >Further, there is a book I have been despirate to find that was
          >supposed to be published in 2003 called "Plucked, Shaved and Braided"
          >by Daniella Turudich. I have searched the Internet for 3 years, gone
          >to every book vendor and library I could and even with the ISBN
          >number I have gotten nowhere finding the book.

          I have had this on order for three years. Last I heard it was not publsihed
          as yet.
          anyone else know anything. I would be interested as well.
          :)

        • Rebecca Egan
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 19, 2006
            I found a site that supposedly has this book in stock!

            http://www.allbookstores.com/book/193006408X/Plucked_Shaved_and_Braided.html

            Hope this works for you

            Gabriella Rizo
            Smiling Bull Tavern