pins for sewing

  • Martha Rice
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 12, 2006
      This discussion on pins has been really enlightening...I am going to
      try and make some!

      Now, to skew the topic just a little. Does anyone have any
      information on the period use of pins in sewing construction? They
      had to do something to hold the two piceds of fabric together while
      sewing it, didn't they? I know I use pins when I'm hand sewing.
      Everything I have found refers to holding finished garments, veils etc
      together.

      Thank you for your help.
      Caitlin nic Raighne
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 12, 2006
        They may have basted things together first -- just like Laura Ingalls
        Wilder did, if pins were a luxury item.

        cv