Re: [SCA-Milliners] Veil Pins

  • Naomi Banta
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 3, 2006
      I have corsage pins -- if I'm attatching to a wimple (or to a braid) they work BEAUTIFULLY. For a barbarette setup it doesn't work. In that case, I have a red felt ball that contains plain headed sewing pins.

      Constance

      "It's useful being top bannana in the shock department."
      -- Audrey Hepburn, Breakfast at Tiffany's

    • Melissa
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 3, 2006
        Are you saying 5 inches? I just want to be clear.
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 3, 2006
          Melissa wrote:

          > Are you saying 5 inches? I just want to be clear.

          Yep.

          I don't know how you'd use something like that, because all the medival
          paintings I know, where you can see the pins, show ones which are,
          overall, not much more than an inch or two.

          Oh: wait: there's the pins at the top of the "ears" in the "Lovers and
          St. Elegius" painting -- although those have large beads at the top so
          the veil doesn't punch down through them.

          Image of the lady: http://www.virtue.to/articles/images/1449_elegius.jpg

          The ones I have (bought from Master Gaukler) were insufficiently
          interesting to go to a museum. They have wrapped wire heads, very
          small. They are gold colored (now) and slightly rough (now.) I don't
          know if they were gold or rough when they were being used. A slightly
          rough surface would hold silk veils better than modern pins, though.

          I really should take some good photos of them and put them on my website.

          The Museum of London Dress Accessories book has many photos and drawings
          of pins that have been found from this time period.

          --
          Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pre Argent

          "Love is friendship set on fire."
          -- Jeremy Taylor, ca. 1650
        • Melissa
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 3, 2006
            Thanks that is intersting. I would think an inch or 2 would work, I
            would think that maybe the longer ones were for the wealthy women?
            Or noble women?
            I'll keep researching.
            thanks
          • Kristen Dahle
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 3, 2006
              I use 5" pins for holding a straw hat onto my head, pinning through the
              veils, so that I don't have to use a chin strap. I've also used long pins
              for holding hat structures (like straw horns) to my head by pinning through
              my braids. I like to have very smooth pins for that so that they don't tear
              my hair apart.

              Otherwise I use smaller pins. The ones that pin men's shirts together at
              department stores are nice. I've also just found some very pretty "crystal"
              glass head ones at JoAnn Fabrics in the quilting department. They're
              comparatively expensive, about $15 for a box of 200. I haven't gotten them
              yet, so I don't have a brand name.

              Pax,
              Elisa
            • Melissa
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 3, 2006
                My next question is 20 guage wire ok to use as a veil pin?
              • mazzard@mail.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 4, 2006
                  I took pliers and wrenched the plastic heads off some corsage (sp) pins
                  and glued beads to the end. You can also paint the plastic heads with
                  nail polish (all those wonderful little bottles of cheap polish in the
                  teenage makeup section at Walmart...) and glue beads beneath the head on
                  the pin length. Spacer beads shaped like flowers and bead caps work very
                  well. You can match your outfits and if you lose one, it's only a few
                  cents to replace. There are pewter beads shaped like twisted wire that
                  would make authentic-appearing heads. I've also put loose jump rings
                  between the beads and linked swinging bead fringe from that. Lots of
                  options - you could attach tiny silk tassels or Fimo shapes as the pin
                  metal isn't affected by baking. I've never baked one with the original
                  plastic head, tho. But, we are a simple people here and easily amused,
                  Lady Cerise of Vatavia

                  Thanks that is intersting. I would think an inch or 2 would work, I
                  would think that maybe the longer ones were for the wealthy women?
                  Or noble women?
                  I'll keep researching.
                  thanks

                  Community email addresses:
                  Post message: SCA-Milliners@onelist.com
                  Subscribe: SCA-Milliners-subscribe@onelist.com

                  Shortcut URL to this page:
                  http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners
                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Tonkin, Rebecca (PIRSA-SARDI)
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 6, 2006
                    I would say as long as is necessary and comfortable. There are pictures of medieval pins in the Museum of London Dress Accessories book.
                    I use ordinary dress-making pins, either in brass or stainless steel usually. I have also used corsage/florist's pins, which are bigger and sharper, and have pearls on the ends.
                    HTH,
                    Rebecca

                  • m d b
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
                      > I would say as long as is necessary and comfortable. There are
                      pictures of medieval pins in the Museum of London Dress Accessories
                      book.
                      > I use ordinary dress-making pins, either in brass or stainless steel
                      usually. I have also used corsage/florist's pins, which are bigger and
                      sharper, and have pearls on the ends.

                      I used quilters pins recently (rather longer and have more grip than
                      regular pins, sort of similar to the corsage pins but much smaller
                      heads*) then some shorter glass headed pins for my most recent
                      millinery endeavor:
                      http://costumes.glittersweet.com/sca/k/2cleves.htm
                      The photos were taken when I was using the glass headed pins, which
                      practically disappear.
                      I find getting the tension right for any headdress (for the above it
                      was the undercap and making sure it wasn't about to shift around, for
                      my flat cap it was making sure the hole was just barely big enough
                      etc) makes a gret deal of difference as to what strength of pin I need.

                      Well that and the actual shape are important. If the pin needs to
                      secure the headdress/hat to an internal support, then the longer the
                      better.

                      Willemyne
                      http://glittersweet.com
                      *at least here anyway;) The corsage pins all have tear shaped pearls
                      on the end.
                    • Ottavia Fortunati
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 8, 2006
                        That is an amazing dress and headcovering. Please, how does it stay on your head? Is it that tight? or is the black part pinned to something underneath?
                        I am facinated.
                        Ottavia

                        m d b <vcairistiona@...> wrote:
                        > I would say as long as is necessary and comfortable. There are
                        pictures of medieval pins in the Museum of London Dress Accessories
                        book.
                        > I use ordinary dress-making pins, either in brass or stainless steel
                        usually. I have also used corsage/florist's pins, which are bigger and
                        sharper, and have pearls on the ends.

                        I used quilters pins recently (rather longer and have more grip than
                        regular pins, sort of similar to the corsage pins but much smaller
                        heads*) then some shorter glass headed pins for my most recent
                        millinery endeavor:
                        http://costumes.glittersweet.com/sca/k/2cleves.htm
                        The photos were taken when I was using the glass headed pins, which
                        practically disappear.
                        I find getting the tension right for any headdress (for the above it
                        was the undercap and making sure it wasn't about to shift around, for
                        my flat cap it was making sure the hole was just barely big enough
                        etc) makes a gret deal of difference as to what strength of pin I need.

                        Well that and the actual shape are important. If the pin needs to
                        secure the headdress/hat to an internal support, then the longer the
                        better.

                        Willemyne
                        http://glittersweet.com
                        *at least here anyway;) The corsage pins all have tear shaped pearls
                        on the end.

                      • Karen
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 9, 2006
                          Most of my veil pins (and fancy hat pins) come from Lady Grace Whytteng, who sells medieval repros, as well as pins with animals, fruits, or flowers, at http://www.pin-money.net/pins.htm -- I have a lot of her more "abstract" pins, too, some of which coordinate nicely with my garb & headdresses. :)

                          Karen
                        • fionnghualaingheanuilliam
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 11, 2006
                            While at this last Collegium, a lady in the "Hats and Headdresses"
                            class shared that she makes her own veil pins by using wire cutters
                            to cut off the "modern" part of a 2-3 inch safety pin (brass
                            preferably) and then uses a hammer to pound the curly end (opposite
                            of the point) flat so the fabric doesn't ride into the curl. I
                            tried this and the pins turn out great. She said she carries pieces
                            of felt with 4 pins on each piece to give as favors/tokens when she
                            runs into a lady with a slippy veil.

                            YIS,
                            Fionnghuala

                            --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa"

                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 11, 2006
                              And you can also find strong pins that are dull, and slip a glass bead
                              onto them, and either superglue it in place, or use a crimp bead. I've
                              seen variations on those and they are pretty, and easy to make.