Veil Pins

  • Melissa
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 2 2:05 PM
      How long should they be?
    • Megan & Dave
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 2 7:36 PM
        I favour the pins marketed for corsages.

        Gwenhyfar Stuart
        <
        <
        <
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 3 3:18 AM
          Melissa wrote:

          > How long should they be?

          For what sort of veil? I usually use sewing pins, or glass-headed pins,
          but I have some alleged to be veil pins from the 1400-1500s which are 5"
          long.

          --
          Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pre Argent

          "Love is friendship set on fire."
          -- Jeremy Taylor, ca. 1650
        • Naomi Banta
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 3 5:06 AM
            I have corsage pins -- if I'm attatching to a wimple (or to a braid) they work BEAUTIFULLY. For a barbarette setup it doesn't work. In that case, I have a red felt ball that contains plain headed sewing pins.

            Constance

            "It's useful being top bannana in the shock department."
            -- Audrey Hepburn, Breakfast at Tiffany's

          • Melissa
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 3 8:28 AM
              Are you saying 5 inches? I just want to be clear.
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 3 8:55 AM
                Melissa wrote:

                > Are you saying 5 inches? I just want to be clear.

                Yep.

                I don't know how you'd use something like that, because all the medival
                paintings I know, where you can see the pins, show ones which are,
                overall, not much more than an inch or two.

                Oh: wait: there's the pins at the top of the "ears" in the "Lovers and
                St. Elegius" painting -- although those have large beads at the top so
                the veil doesn't punch down through them.

                Image of the lady: http://www.virtue.to/articles/images/1449_elegius.jpg

                The ones I have (bought from Master Gaukler) were insufficiently
                interesting to go to a museum. They have wrapped wire heads, very
                small. They are gold colored (now) and slightly rough (now.) I don't
                know if they were gold or rough when they were being used. A slightly
                rough surface would hold silk veils better than modern pins, though.

                I really should take some good photos of them and put them on my website.

                The Museum of London Dress Accessories book has many photos and drawings
                of pins that have been found from this time period.

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 3 10:26 AM
                  Thanks that is intersting. I would think an inch or 2 would work, I
                  would think that maybe the longer ones were for the wealthy women?
                  Or noble women?
                  I'll keep researching.
                  thanks
                • Kristen Dahle
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 3 12:16 PM
                    I use 5" pins for holding a straw hat onto my head, pinning through the
                    veils, so that I don't have to use a chin strap. I've also used long pins
                    for holding hat structures (like straw horns) to my head by pinning through
                    my braids. I like to have very smooth pins for that so that they don't tear
                    my hair apart.

                    Otherwise I use smaller pins. The ones that pin men's shirts together at
                    department stores are nice. I've also just found some very pretty "crystal"
                    glass head ones at JoAnn Fabrics in the quilting department. They're
                    comparatively expensive, about $15 for a box of 200. I haven't gotten them
                    yet, so I don't have a brand name.

                    Pax,
                    Elisa
                  • Melissa
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 3 1:35 PM
                      My next question is 20 guage wire ok to use as a veil pin?
                    • mazzard@mail.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 4 7:50 AM
                        I took pliers and wrenched the plastic heads off some corsage (sp) pins
                        and glued beads to the end. You can also paint the plastic heads with
                        nail polish (all those wonderful little bottles of cheap polish in the
                        teenage makeup section at Walmart...) and glue beads beneath the head on
                        the pin length. Spacer beads shaped like flowers and bead caps work very
                        well. You can match your outfits and if you lose one, it's only a few
                        cents to replace. There are pewter beads shaped like twisted wire that
                        would make authentic-appearing heads. I've also put loose jump rings
                        between the beads and linked swinging bead fringe from that. Lots of
                        options - you could attach tiny silk tassels or Fimo shapes as the pin
                        metal isn't affected by baking. I've never baked one with the original
                        plastic head, tho. But, we are a simple people here and easily amused,
                        Lady Cerise of Vatavia

                        Thanks that is intersting. I would think an inch or 2 would work, I
                        would think that maybe the longer ones were for the wealthy women?
                        Or noble women?
                        I'll keep researching.
                        thanks

                        Community email addresses:
                        Post message: SCA-Milliners@onelist.com
                        Subscribe: SCA-Milliners-subscribe@onelist.com

                        Shortcut URL to this page:
                        http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners
                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Tonkin, Rebecca (PIRSA-SARDI)
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 6 9:26 PM
                          I would say as long as is necessary and comfortable. There are pictures of medieval pins in the Museum of London Dress Accessories book.
                          I use ordinary dress-making pins, either in brass or stainless steel usually. I have also used corsage/florist's pins, which are bigger and sharper, and have pearls on the ends.
                          HTH,
                          Rebecca

                        • m d b
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 7 3:47 AM
                            > I would say as long as is necessary and comfortable. There are
                            pictures of medieval pins in the Museum of London Dress Accessories
                            book.
                            > I use ordinary dress-making pins, either in brass or stainless steel
                            usually. I have also used corsage/florist's pins, which are bigger and
                            sharper, and have pearls on the ends.

                            I used quilters pins recently (rather longer and have more grip than
                            regular pins, sort of similar to the corsage pins but much smaller
                            heads*) then some shorter glass headed pins for my most recent
                            millinery endeavor:
                            http://costumes.glittersweet.com/sca/k/2cleves.htm
                            The photos were taken when I was using the glass headed pins, which
                            practically disappear.
                            I find getting the tension right for any headdress (for the above it
                            was the undercap and making sure it wasn't about to shift around, for
                            my flat cap it was making sure the hole was just barely big enough
                            etc) makes a gret deal of difference as to what strength of pin I need.

                            Well that and the actual shape are important. If the pin needs to
                            secure the headdress/hat to an internal support, then the longer the
                            better.

                            Willemyne
                            http://glittersweet.com
                            *at least here anyway;) The corsage pins all have tear shaped pearls
                            on the end.
                          • Ottavia Fortunati
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 8 9:38 PM
                              That is an amazing dress and headcovering. Please, how does it stay on your head? Is it that tight? or is the black part pinned to something underneath?
                              I am facinated.
                              Ottavia

                              m d b <vcairistiona@...> wrote:
                              > I would say as long as is necessary and comfortable. There are
                              pictures of medieval pins in the Museum of London Dress Accessories
                              book.
                              > I use ordinary dress-making pins, either in brass or stainless steel
                              usually. I have also used corsage/florist's pins, which are bigger and
                              sharper, and have pearls on the ends.

                              I used quilters pins recently (rather longer and have more grip than
                              regular pins, sort of similar to the corsage pins but much smaller
                              heads*) then some shorter glass headed pins for my most recent
                              millinery endeavor:
                              http://costumes.glittersweet.com/sca/k/2cleves.htm
                              The photos were taken when I was using the glass headed pins, which
                              practically disappear.
                              I find getting the tension right for any headdress (for the above it
                              was the undercap and making sure it wasn't about to shift around, for
                              my flat cap it was making sure the hole was just barely big enough
                              etc) makes a gret deal of difference as to what strength of pin I need.

                              Well that and the actual shape are important. If the pin needs to
                              secure the headdress/hat to an internal support, then the longer the
                              better.

                              Willemyne
                              http://glittersweet.com
                              *at least here anyway;) The corsage pins all have tear shaped pearls
                              on the end.

                            • Karen
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 9 8:15 AM
                                Most of my veil pins (and fancy hat pins) come from Lady Grace Whytteng, who sells medieval repros, as well as pins with animals, fruits, or flowers, at http://www.pin-money.net/pins.htm -- I have a lot of her more "abstract" pins, too, some of which coordinate nicely with my garb & headdresses. :)

                                Karen
                              • fionnghualaingheanuilliam
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 11 2:44 PM
                                  While at this last Collegium, a lady in the "Hats and Headdresses"
                                  class shared that she makes her own veil pins by using wire cutters
                                  to cut off the "modern" part of a 2-3 inch safety pin (brass
                                  preferably) and then uses a hammer to pound the curly end (opposite
                                  of the point) flat so the fabric doesn't ride into the curl. I
                                  tried this and the pins turn out great. She said she carries pieces
                                  of felt with 4 pins on each piece to give as favors/tokens when she
                                  runs into a lady with a slippy veil.

                                  YIS,
                                  Fionnghuala

                                  --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa"

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 11 3:01 PM
                                    And you can also find strong pins that are dull, and slip a glass bead
                                    onto them, and either superglue it in place, or use a crimp bead. I've
                                    seen variations on those and they are pretty, and easy to make.