Re: [SCA-Milliners] question on balzos

  • danabren@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2006
      Have you looked at Mistress Damiana's site on Balzos?

      http://home.earthlink.net/~lizjones429/balzo-new.htm

      Danabren

      >I need to create a balzo....I searched the links on this group and
      >found one to a site by Elizabeth Jones on making a base out of flat
      >reed....I have no source for reed and was wondering if I could use
      >plastic boning instead....I assume that once the base is made I would
      >make a "bag" to cover it and then use pins or combs to attach it to my
      >head (after I put my hair up in a bun)...does this sound plausible?
      >Thanks for your help....Fionnghuala

    • uxbridgefox
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2006
        --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "fionnghualaingheanuilliam"
        <fionnghualaingheanuilliam@...> wrote:

        > I need to create a balzo....I searched the links on this group and
        > found one to a site by Elizabeth Jones on making a base out of
        flat
        > reed....I have no source for reed and was wondering if I could use
        > plastic boning instead....

        The boning would probably work but I'm sure it would cost more than
        reed.

        A half hank of reed is $3.30 and that will be plenty to make a hat.
        I've been using the 11/64 to weave 15th century styled hennins.

        Try this website:
        www.countryseat.com

        good luck
        Eleanor le Brun
      • fionnghualaingheanuilliam
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2006
          This is the site I found from this group's links....and I also thank
          Eleanor for the link for purchasing flat reed.....one of my friends
          suggested I use fabric stiffener and cheesecloth formed on a
          ballloon. She says it dries hard enough to support a fabric
          covering. I know this isn't "period", but I probably will only wear
          this hat once since my persona is Irish....do you think her idea
          would work?

          Thanks again,

          Fionnghuala

          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2006
            The problem with fabric stiffener is that it's a lot like papier
            mache. but made with fabric. Its rather rigid and doesn't have much
            resiliance. If the hat gets whacked or sat upon, or your luggage
            shifts, or perhaps even if it is dropped, it may be to damaged hold
            it's shape.

            Rashid