question on balzos

  • fionnghualaingheanuilliam
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2006
      I need to create a balzo....I searched the links on this group and
      found one to a site by Elizabeth Jones on making a base out of flat
      reed....I have no source for reed and was wondering if I could use
      plastic boning instead....I assume that once the base is made I would
      make a "bag" to cover it and then use pins or combs to attach it to my
      head (after I put my hair up in a bun)...does this sound plausible?
      Thanks for your help....Fionnghuala
    • danabren@verizon.net
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2006
        Have you looked at Mistress Damiana's site on Balzos?

        http://home.earthlink.net/~lizjones429/balzo-new.htm

        Danabren

        >I need to create a balzo....I searched the links on this group and
        >found one to a site by Elizabeth Jones on making a base out of flat
        >reed....I have no source for reed and was wondering if I could use
        >plastic boning instead....I assume that once the base is made I would
        >make a "bag" to cover it and then use pins or combs to attach it to my
        >head (after I put my hair up in a bun)...does this sound plausible?
        >Thanks for your help....Fionnghuala

      • uxbridgefox
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2006
          --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "fionnghualaingheanuilliam"
          <fionnghualaingheanuilliam@...> wrote:

          > I need to create a balzo....I searched the links on this group and
          > found one to a site by Elizabeth Jones on making a base out of
          flat
          > reed....I have no source for reed and was wondering if I could use
          > plastic boning instead....

          The boning would probably work but I'm sure it would cost more than
          reed.

          A half hank of reed is $3.30 and that will be plenty to make a hat.
          I've been using the 11/64 to weave 15th century styled hennins.

          Try this website:
          www.countryseat.com

          good luck
          Eleanor le Brun
        • fionnghualaingheanuilliam
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2006
            This is the site I found from this group's links....and I also thank
            Eleanor for the link for purchasing flat reed.....one of my friends
            suggested I use fabric stiffener and cheesecloth formed on a
            ballloon. She says it dries hard enough to support a fabric
            covering. I know this isn't "period", but I probably will only wear
            this hat once since my persona is Irish....do you think her idea
            would work?

            Thanks again,

            Fionnghuala

            Message 5 of 5 , May 2, 2006
              The problem with fabric stiffener is that it's a lot like papier
              mache. but made with fabric. Its rather rigid and doesn't have much
              resiliance. If the hat gets whacked or sat upon, or your luggage
              shifts, or perhaps even if it is dropped, it may be to damaged hold
              it's shape.

              Rashid