how did Elizabeth do it?

  • Ann Morton
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 13, 2006
      Greetings Good Gentles,

      I have been puzzling over the images of Elizabeth I, trying to
      determine how they got these pearls to seemingly stand on end on what
      appears to be the edges of her hats. Any suggestions? Is the style
      an attifet?

      Here is an example:
      http://www.marileecody.com/gloriana/elizabethermine.jpg

      Looking forward to your thoughts
      Marsaili
    • Odette d'Amboise
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 13, 2006
        I believe they are wired and the attifet is
        constructed of a rigid material, so it is not just the
        wired edge.

        Odette

        --- Ann Morton <best_interests@...> wrote:

        > Greetings Good Gentles,
        >
        > I have been puzzling over the images of Elizabeth I,
        > trying to
        > determine how they got these pearls to seemingly
        > stand on end on what
        > appears to be the edges of her hats. Any
        > suggestions? Is the style
        > an attifet?
        >
        > Here is an example:

        http://www.marileecody.com/gloriana/elizabethermine.jpg

        > Looking forward to your thoughts
        > Marsaili

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Kathleen Heller
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 14, 2006
          <alannawolfhart@...> wrote:

          > I believe they are wired

          My mother makes necklaces and all sorts of other beaded jewelery. She
          made a similar necklace for me using beads strung on short wires the
          wires were then fixed onto the main necklace network of wire and beads
          and the effect was vaguely similar. It is very stiff.

          Rignach of Argyll
        • Erik Mathias K.
          Message 4 of 4 , May 12 8:45 AM
            Hi I've been doing theater work as well as the SCA, The collars are starched
            as well as some of the lace on the Hats, but they also added a wire frame
            work in many cases to add stucture to the over layers as well as the under
            layers. They would build an armiture of metal, usualy gold or silver. The
            pearls would be mounted on wire spikes, often glued (using resin glues) into
            place or hand riveted. It would help in you research if you looked at period
            Jewelry and its making. In the tudor periods Costume, colars, Hats and their
            Jewels were not only interchangeable in their cross overs, they were each a
            part of each other! One medium crossed over to the next in their use of
            Decoration, Notice how the Hat relates to its Gown and Collar, and how all
            the jewels interconect to each other part! How all are made to frame the
            face, with an overwelming amount of Glitz yet their faces were made up
            simple and white, in comparison.

            THL Mathias

            --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Ann Morton"