Looking for Info

  • caitrionadragon
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 13, 2006
      I was introduced to a new (to me) web site today and found an
      interesting piece of headwear. The site is http://www.kostym.cz/ and
      the particular piece of interest is this:
      http://www.kostym.cz/Anglicky/2_Detaily/01_Doplnky/II_01_04.htm
      Sorry, I don't know how to make the tiny URL's. At any rate, the hat
      has the appearance of the 16th century Italian hats that appeared to
      have a stuffed roll under the smooth headcovering in many portraits
      done during the first third of the 1500's. See:
      http://www.wga.hu/art/h/holbein/hans_y/1518/3meyer2/jpg or
      http://www.wga.hu/art/d/durer/1/02/10tucher.jpg and a bit later
      http://www.wga.hu/art/b/bronzino/2/porgreen.jpg

      My question is why is the "tail" in the extant hat tied up in a bow on
      the side rather than hanging behind or over the shoulder as shown in
      portraits? I can't find any site other than this one that shows the
      hat and there is really no information other than the bit about it
      being found in the crypt of Anna Jagelon. Other than the fact that she
      was married to Casimir Jagelon IV, I can't find anything about her or
      the crypt finds. Anyone out there have any further information on this?

      Caitriona Campbell
    • Catrijn vanden Westhende
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 13, 2006
        On 4/13/06, caitrionadragon <caitrionadragon@...> wrote:

        > My question is why is the "tail" in the extant hat tied up in a bow on
        > the side rather than hanging behind or over the shoulder as shown in
        > portraits? I can't find any site other than this one that shows the
        > hat and there is really no information other than the bit about it
        > being found in the crypt of Anna Jagelon. Other than the fact that she
        > was married to Casimir Jagelon IV, I can't find anything about her or
        > the crypt finds. Anyone out there have any further information on this?
        >
        > Caitriona Campbell

        This hat was discussed briefly on MedCos here:
        http://slumberland.org/moodle/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=629#4646
        and also apparently on the German Ren list.

        Marion McNealy posted this:
        >I found more reference to it in,
        >Rudolph II and Prague. The Court and the City
        >By Fucikova, Elisa (editor)
        >
        >ISBN: 0500237379
        >
        >The actual garment is in Prague.

        My best guess for why it would be tied in a bow like that is the
        person creating the display was not terribly familiar with the style.

        - Catrijn