French Hood Veil

  • Dianne & Greg Stucki
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2006
      Greetings!

      I just finished a French hood, except for the veil. What would be an appropriate weight for the veil?

      Gratefully

      Laurensa
      Fiat simii!!

    • AntoniadiTroina@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2006
        In a message dated 02/01/2006 3:22:38 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
        goofy1@... writes:
        I just finished a French hood, except for the veil. What would be an
        appropriate weight for the veil?
        I've used both cotton velveteen in the bag style veil and a much lighter
        satin. Both black, of course, although the velveteen was heavy enough to try and
        pull the hood off the back of my head! I soon switched it out for a
        semi-circular shaped dress weight satin.

        Antonia

        Genius will only take you to 'Good',
        Practice will take you to 'Master'

      • Dianne & Greg Stucki
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 1, 2006
          > In a message dated 02/01/2006 3:22:38 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
          > goofy1@... writes:
          > I just finished a French hood, except for the veil. What would be an
          > appropriate weight for the veil?
          > I've used both cotton velveteen in the bag style veil and a much lighter
          > satin. Both black, of course, although the velveteen was heavy enough to
          > try and
          > pull the hood off the back of my head! I soon switched it out for a
          > semi-circular shaped dress weight satin.

          I thought the velveteen might be too heavy--and the hood itself is cotton
          velvet, trimmed in pearls, padded with wool. Yeah, it's heavy. ;-)

          I'm thinking of using a silk veil, so will probably go with a dress weight.
          Thank you!

          Laurensa

          Fiat simii!
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 1, 2006
            Dianne & Greg Stucki wrote:

            > Fiat simii!

            I don't have any ancient languages -- does this say "Do the monkey?"

            --
            Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pre Argent

            US postage with medieval images on it:
            http://www.cafepress.com/virtueventures/1160846
          • Dianne & Greg Stucki
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 1, 2006
              I have been given to understand that it means "Let there be monkeys!"

              And if you had ever met my children--especially the one known as Skinny
              Monkey Boy--you would understand!!

              Laurensa
              Fiat simii!!
              > I don't have any ancient languages -- does this say "Do the monkey?"
              >

              > --
              > Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pre Argent
              >
              > US postage with medieval images on it:
              > http://www.cafepress.com/virtueventures/1160846

              > http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Chris Laning
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 1, 2006
                For my late-period (i.e. after about 1550) French Hood I was advised to use a medium-weight silk -- it does _not_ have to be very heavy, just enough so that it doesn't float around in every breeze.

                In summer climates in the USA you definitely do NOT want anything too heavy, since it can be very hot. Most silk is not terribly good at letting breezes through. It does need to be opaque enough that your hair doesn't show through (since that's more or less the point of having a veil).

                Christian de Holacombe

                0 Chris Laning
                | <claning@...>
                + Davis, California
              • Noramunro@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 2, 2006
                  If you're looking for there to be a plurality of monkeys, 'fiant simii' is the phrase you want. 'Fiat simius' would call only one monkey into being.

                  Alianora
                  Grammar Geek Extraordinaire

                  ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
                  Dame Alianora Munro, OL, Atlantia
                  the website: http://hometown.aol.com/noramunro/Chateau/index.htm
                  the blog: http://damenora.diaryland.com

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 2, 2006
                    Thank you! Sig has been changed accordingly..

                    Laurensa
                    who does not speak Latin and has always relied on the kindness of strangers
                    Fiant simii!!
                    > If you're looking for there to be a plurality of monkeys, 'fiant simii' is
                    > the phrase you want. 'Fiat simius' would call only one monkey into being.
                    >
                    > Alianora
                    > Grammar Geek Extraordinaire
                    >
                    > ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
                    > Dame Alianora Munro, OL, Atlantia
                    > the website: http://hometown.aol.com/noramunro/Chateau/index.htm
                    > the blog: http://damenora.diaryland.com

                  • Cheryl Redpath
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 3, 2006
                      I used cotton velveteen, and wore a coif, that ties under the chin, underneath it. I pin the veil to the cap, then the billemonde slips over it and sits just fine.

                      Christiana

                      Dianne & Greg Stucki <goofy1@...> wrote:
                      Greetings!

                      I just finished a French hood, except for the veil. What would be an appropriate weight for the veil?

                      Gratefully

                      Laurensa
                      Fiat simii!!

                      Community email addresses:
                      Post message: SCA-Milliners@onelist.com
                      Subscribe: SCA-Milliners-subscribe@onelist.com

                      Shortcut URL to this page:
                      http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners

                      Living history Used car history Vehicle history

                      ---------------------------------

                    • borderlands15213
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 5, 2006
                        Laurensa, I think you might want to experiment a bit with lengths of
                        different fabrics you like, since you bring up the question of weight.
                        I still use my Anne of Brittany hood, which I made of cotton
                        velveteen and lined with a lightweight synethic lining fabric (before
                        I knew better or knew how to *shop* for natural fibers.) I still get
                        loads of compliments on this.
                        In hand, its weight is reasonable. On my head, well, I wind up with
                        the front of my neck sore. You'd think I'd been playing at being a
                        sherpa bearer and using a tump line (forehead strap securing the back-
                        borne load) without knowing how or being conditioned to it.

                        Since then, veils as lightweight as can be justified, without
                        sacrificing a correct "look."

                        Yseult the Gentle, who does *not* know how to carry a load using a
                        tump line nor is she conditioned to it.

                        --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Cheryl Redpath
                        <redswan_rising@...> wrote:

                        > I used cotton velveteen, and wore a coif, that ties under the chin,
                        underneath it. I pin the veil to the cap, then the billemonde slips
                        over it and sits just fine.

                        > Christiana
                        >
                        > Dianne & Greg Stucki <goofy1@...> wrote:
                        > Greetings!
                        >
                        > I just finished a French hood, except for the veil. What would be
                        an appropriate weight for the veil?

                        > Gratefully
                        >
                        > Laurensa
                        > Fiat simii!!

                        > http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners

                        > Living history Used car history Vehicle history

                        Service.

                        > ---------------------------------

                      • Dianne & Greg Stucki
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 5, 2006
                          > Laurensa, I think you might want to experiment a bit with lengths of
                          > different fabrics you like, since you bring up the question of weight.
                          > I still use my Anne of Brittany hood, which I made of cotton
                          > velveteen and lined with a lightweight synethic lining fabric (before
                          > I knew better or knew how to *shop* for natural fibers.) I still get
                          > loads of compliments on this.
                          > In hand, its weight is reasonable. On my head, well, I wind up with
                          > the front of my neck sore. You'd think I'd been playing at being a
                          > sherpa bearer and using a tump line (forehead strap securing the back-
                          > borne load) without knowing how or being conditioned to it.

                          Weight is definitely an issue. I have some problems with my neck anyway, I
                          don't need my hobby to aggravate it any more than it already is!

                          I will most likely be going with a lightweight black silk.

                          Laurensa
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 6, 2006
                            Not just weight, but also check t make sure the fabric doesn't produce
                            a "velcro effect" with the fabric of your gown. Even a little bit of
                            that will eventually end up being a "pain in the neck"!

                            RAshid

                            --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Dianne & Greg Stucki"