Re: fake hair

    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 31, 2006
      You should also know that the acrylic hair (Kanekelon) which is what
      you commonly find cannot be dyed, but you can mix a match for nearly
      any color by hackling it. (See archives, probably under "fake hair")

      You can also straighten the fake hair quite easily by pulling it
      through a wide-barrel curling iron set on low. It is harder to curl
      because you have to heat it to curling iron temp and then let it cool
      down to room temp while still on the roller or iron, so that eats up
      the time.

      Rashid

      --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "The Solomons" <stacia2@c...>
      wrote:

      > thanks for the info! I have 2 beauty supply places here in town.
      I'll check those out.
      > K.

      have "beauty supply" stores with fake hair, which are often displayed
      in the window. Also, New York has a strip on 14th Street between 5th
      and 7th Avenues of wig supply shops where you can get "falsies" for
      under $7.

      > Danabren
      >
      > ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
      > It's hard to be a woman.
      > One must think like a man,
      > Behave like a lady,
      > Look like a young girl,
      > And work like a horse.

      > http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners

      history

      of Service.

      ----------

      1/27/2006

    • Maura Townsend
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2006
        --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia Virtue <cvirtue@t...> wrote:

        > Somewhere on the web there's a page done by an SCA woman about
        different
        > sorts of fake hair: costs, texture, colors, etc. I can't find it, but
        > maybe somebody can manage to dig it up.

        I think that was me - HOWEVER, as it was illustrated by links and most
        of the links died, I took it down about a year ago with plans to
        update it with images of synthetic hair in my collection. I have most
        of the different types, fortunately, as I've done quite a bit of wig
        and monster building for theatrical purposes over the years, so making
        the update should not be difficult. Finding the time, with a toddler
        to herd (and a new baby on the way) has been nigh impossible, though,
        and I REALLY NEED to get to it before June or it'll be a another
        couple of years before it'll get done.

        Hmmm. That's awfully nebulous and not terribly helpful. In the
        meantime, there's always the Wayback Machine:
        http://web.archive.org/web/20031206185138/jauncourt.i8.com/fakehair.htm

        That has all the text, but remember that the links are mostly dead.

        Some help can be found in my 12th Century Hairstyling class, even if
        it's not your period, which is in our files under "12th Century Hair
        Class".

        Marguerie
      • Emmie
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 2, 2006
          > > thanks for the info! I have 2 beauty supply places here in town.
          > I'll check those out.
          > > K.

          If the beauty supply stores don't work out .... call a beauty shop
          that specializes in braids. They will either have the extensions to
          complete the braids or will be able to name a good supplier.

          YIS,
          Elisabeth
        • Sally
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 6, 2006
            Theres a pic of some Roman styles I did in fake hair here, working on
            some medieval ones too:
            http://www.sallypointer.com/cosmetics.html (look at the bottom of the
            page, sorry everything is a bit cluttered at the moment!)
            Sally
          • danabren@verizon.net
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 6, 2006
              OOOOOOOO Roman hair! I have long hair, but since I can't create these concoctions myself, I tend to go with a simple and boring bun-at-the-nape. These are wonderful!

              Danabren

              >Theres a pic of some Roman styles I did in fake hair here, working on
              >some medieval ones too:
              >http://www.sallypointer.com/cosmetics.html (look at the bottom of the
              >page, sorry everything is a bit cluttered at the moment!)
              >Sally

              ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
              "I believe my decision to remain unfit at the age of 34 will serve me well in the future, as I'll never have to endure the hushed observation that I've really let myself go."
              Janeane Garofalo
            • Christine Taylor
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 6, 2006
                These would adapt beautifully to 16th century Venetian / Italian styles as
                well. I'd love to know how you did them.

                Thank you!

                Caitlin
                _______
                THL Caitlin Christiana Wintour
                Ad augusta per angusta -- to high places by narrow roads

                Theres a pic of some Roman styles I did in fake hair here, working on
                some medieval ones too:
                http://www.sallypointer.com/cosmetics.html (look at the bottom of the
                page, sorry everything is a bit cluttered at the moment!)
                Sally

                Community email addresses:
                Post message: SCA-Milliners@onelist.com
                Subscribe: SCA-Milliners-subscribe@onelist.com

                Shortcut URL to this page:
                http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners
                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Sally
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 6, 2006
                  They are all based on a long plait of the fake hair, sewn round into
                  a bun shape with enough space inside to stuff the wearers own hair
                  tied back firmly (even a tiny tied back bit works, I've used these
                  on women with 1 inch long hair!). Secure with a long hairpin and
                  you're done. If the wearer has long hair of their own, plait some
                  sections then crisscross it over the fake bit and skewer in with
                  more pins and it looks even better. The fanciest ones use different
                  thicknesses of plait, but its all pretty simple to construct.
                  Sally

                  --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Christine Taylor"

                  Milliners@yahoogroups.com]
                  > On Behalf Of Sally
                  > Sent: Monday, February 06, 2006 10:22 AM
                  > To: SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: [SCA-Milliners] Re: fake hair
                  >
                  > Theres a pic of some Roman styles I did in fake hair here, working
                  on
                  > some medieval ones too:
                  > http://www.sallypointer.com/cosmetics.html (look at the bottom of
                  the
                  > page, sorry everything is a bit cluttered at the moment!)
                  > Sally

                  > http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Christine Taylor