RE: [SCA-Milliners] Horns - critique?

  • Peterson, Cindy
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 19 11:35 PM
      Actually,

      I HAVE seen fabric covered pointed horns. There are many in the Devonshire
      Hunting Tapestries. After much research and having spoke several times with
      Sarah Thursfeld (Medieval Tailor's Assistant), the most likely guesses for
      skeletons (since we have no existing ones) under the pointed horns were
      wire, buckram or waxed linen. I have tried all three and buckram and waxed
      linen work the best. I used Sarah's pattern for horns and they worked out
      really well. If anyone wants my documentation paper on the waxed linen, I'll
      be happy to send it.

      Fiona

      _____

        --
[...]

        Living history Used car history Vehicle history

        ---------------------------------

        ~~~~~~~~~^*^~~~~~~~~~
        Breathes a woman with soul so dead that never to herself
        hath said, "I need another hat to adorn my head."

      • borderlands15213
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 21 2:50 AM
          I'd very much appreciate reading your document on waxed linen,
          Fiona. Thanks very much!

          Yseult the Gentle

          --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Peterson, Cindy"

          Milliners@yahoogroups.com]
          > On Behalf Of Kristine Elliott
          > Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2006 6:52 PM
          > To: SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: Re: [SCA-Milliners] Horns - critique?
          >

          > On 1/19/06, Rebecca Perry <rebecca@s...> wrote:
          > > It seems I hear crickets chirping...
          > >
          > > Other than a few requests for instructions, I haven't heard a lot
          of
          > > feedback on the photos I posted. Is this because people are busy,
          or
          > because
          > > people don't want to criticize? I realize it may be neither and
          I'm just
          > > paranoid.
          > >
          > > In any case, I'd like to take this opportunity to request
          constructive
          > > criticism on this - I have some issues with these horns myself,
          so I'm not
          > > afraid to hear that others do, too. Please, don't hold back - I
          really
          > want
          > > to know what you think.
          > >
          > > If it helps, I'll start:
          > >
          > > I hate that they have a nerf football for a core!
          > > I think the shape could be tweaked a bit
          > > I have no evidence whatsoever that such a thing existed in period
          (though
          > it
          > > seems a reasonable conjecture that there was some sort of
          structure under
          > > there)
          > >
          > > Now you go! And thanks!
          > >
          > > Savina
          > >

          > I thought they looked very good. I didn't reply because it is not my
          > period and I can't really give any intellingent feedback -- there
          were
          > so many details I wasn't familiar with that I assumed it was my lack
          > of knowledge of the period. (I do 12th & 13th century, and pretty
          much
          > stick to that.) But I understand paranoia -- I feel the same way
          when
          > I don't get feedback.
          >
          > I did wonder what you used to get the shape. What interested me was
          > how different your cones appeared laying flat than they did on your
          > head. That is one of the things that fascinates me about designing
          > garb and haberdashery-- the transformations things go through.
          >
          > Scolastica
          > --
          > http://www.geocities.com/souriete/
          <http://www.geocities.com/souriete/>

          > "I have come to the conclusion that this administration values
          loyalty
          > more than anything else, more than competence or, frankly, more than
          > the truth." Rep. Christopher Shays.

          > http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners
          > <http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners>
          >

          > _____
          >
          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          >

          > * Visit your group "SCA-Milliners
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Milliners> " on the web.

          subject=Unsubscribe>

          Service
          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
          >

          > _____

        • Cheryl Redpath
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 21 9:08 AM
            I would appreciate it, also. Could you put it into the Files folder for a little while, then it would be one posting for you, and anyone interested could see it?

            Thank you.
            Christiana